Was Aespa ready for a stage like Coachella?
Source: Sojang via YouTube
1. [+2,100] I don't know about anything but just comparing the two Coachella stages, Black Pink was ahead in terms of the vibe, the members' capacity, stage sense, and everything else
2. [+1,100] Just as an addition to Black Pink's Coachella context, they had previously performed 'Kill This Love' as a pre-recording before flying straight to the US and getting on stage for Coachella first thing. It wasn't a song they were used to, just a song that was barely released, and they still managed to provide a high quality stage. I don't think it's fair to excuse the other group by saying they aren't used to it. It's not like they were flown there in the middle of promos, and I think it's worth knowing which group was in a tougher situation but still managed to provide a quality experience.
4. [+821] I'm not much of a Black Pink fan, just a listener, but watching Aespa's stage made me realize just how difficult it is to actually command a stage while being well rounded in terms of both looks and skills..
5. [+314] It was a 15 minute stage and they were already out of breath and barely handling it... Especially Ningning, her voice cracked on her high note. Why embarass her like that by giving her a part she can't even handle? Aespa has a longw ay to go. SM needs to throw away their greed and start building their experience with smaller stages. Aespa's stage made me realize just how well Black Pink did at Coachella. Aespa's one of my favorite groups but SM needs to stop being greedy and let them grow at their pace. And please stop picking Chinese members, especially if they're going to be a minus to the group like this.
6. [+680] I think it's a time of judgment for the fourth generation idols. Korean idols are used to close up camera zooms covering for their lack of stage presence at domestic performances but now it's time to put to the test who's able to command a big stage and fill it up like this. Aespa was disappointing in that regard... I think the success of fourth generation groups will be determined by who can handle it and who can't.
7. [+774] Judging by stages alone, Black Pink is ahead by far in terms of popularity, skill, stage command, capacity, gesture, coordi, English comments, and free spirit
8. [+78] Aespa fans are still under the belief that Aespa was an official invite because they believe the lies spread by media play but they weren't even officially invited by Coachella. 88rising collabed with Coachella and invited Aespa. There is no Aespa on Coachella's main poster. This is what SM wanted in the end, though, right? For their stupid fans to fall for their media play hook, line, and sinker.
9. [+806] It just showed why Black Pink is the one top, why they're a wall once again. They were perfect in every aspect.
10. [+1,300] Honestly, the stage was disappointing for how much people went on about them "singing live". And I don't know if it's Aespa's fans or their antis going around saying this but people have been stressing about how Aespa's the main and Black Pink's the sub so Aespa somehow beat Black Pink or whatever ridiculous situation ㅋㅋ Aespa was invited by 88rising but SM media played it as if Coachella invited them..
11. [+480] I'm glad that Black Pink is being brought back up because of Aespa. When's their comeback anyway... I'm having fun listening to their old songs again.
12. [+321] People keep trying to excuse Aespa saying they're still rookies but Black Pink debuted in 2016 and performed at Coachella in 2019. Aespa debuted in 2020 and performed at Coachella in 2022. Black Pink had five albums when they performed, Aespa had three... there's barely a difference between their experiences. Moreover, Aespa performed actively since their debut, whereas YG put Black Pink through year-long hiatuses... Black Pink just has that characteristic YG vibe that dominates Aespa.
13. [+1,000] I always felt that Aespa was SM's attempt at taking Black Pink and all I can think is... they're sure trying hard
14. [+325] When I watched Black Pink's stage, I felt so proud to be Korean... but Aespa's stage... hmm... I guess the embarrassment is my responsibility
15. [+102] I just watched Aespa's performance and... honestly, it was lacking. Then I saw Black Pink's past stage and just seeing Rose's easygoing smile during 'Kill This Love' really shows the difference between Aespa and Black Pink. Just my personal opinion.
16. [+568] Aespa doesn't have a member that fits in the foreign scene. They don't have a particular member like Black Pink who either has a really unique style sense or is a crazy good dancer and can command a stage.
17. [+32] Fact: When Black Pink performed, their fans never had to go around with shields. The public was in awe on their own..
18. [+46] I think Aespa lost more than they gained by performing at Coachella. They had to sing live so they skipped on the dancing, and yet their live was still unstable. They were also too nervous to properly enjoy themselves on stage. One looked completely frozen in both body and face, two sounded like they were out of breath while their voices cracked, and another one pretty much sounded like she was shouting because she was too excited. SM really needs to start making them sing live more either at music stages or concerts. There's no point in rehearsing all day long in the studio when they have no real experience on stage. They'll always be stuck in the same position.
19. [+238] It's funny to even expect them to sing live on a stage like this for the first time when they've barely sung live before. And honestly, they'll never live up to Black Pink's vibe or aura.
20. [+387] Nevermind the live, the quality of the stage just felt like some school talent show