Why the desperate need for western acceptance in 2022

• Small correction. BTS outstreams , not just outsells too. They were the biggest streamed act across all music platforms For two years in a row

• Coz why not? It’s bigger than melon achievements.😂 But id say global achievements should not be limited to the West . Asian market like Japan, Middle East, China and SEA countries are big too. But Western validation is like winning an Olympic medal. BTS and BP becomes ultimately the best kpop groups of all time after getting that validation. Their market value becomes higher & it continues rising. JYP stocks got higher after SKZ became number 1 in BB & all their planned concerts in US are sold out. On the other hand, u can also succeed in Asia and do well like NCT in China/ Other SEA countries & SVT in Japan/ SEA countries. Both sold more than 2 million units & have sold out concerts in Asia. But still both grps are trying to enter Western market coz u know everyone wants to be a global superstar.

BTS western achievements blind you guys so much that you forget they are smashing everywhere else including Asia

• Coz why not? It’s bigger than melon achievements.😂 But id say global achievements should not be limited to the West . Asian market like Japan, Middle East, China and SEA countries are big too. But Western validation is like winning an Olympic medal. BTS and BP becomes ultimately the best kpop groups of all time after getting that validation. Their market value becomes higher & it continues rising. JYP stocks got higher after SKZ became number 1 in BB & all their planned concerts in US are sold out. On the other hand, u can also succeed in Asia and do well like NCT in China/ Other SEA countries & SVT in Japan/ SEA countries. Both sold more than 2 million units & have sold out concerts in Asia. But still both grps are trying to enter Western market coz u know everyone wants to be a global superstar.

but BTS not only charted extremely well in the US, also on all continents around the world.

>>> 2022.06.10 <<<

• What kind of nonsense is this?

Kpop interest has peaked? Have you seen the crazy album sales, they're putting local acts to shame. Everyone here is jealous af when B tier Kpop bands outsell 98% of local artists lol.

Kpop has never needed Western acceptance and it never will.

• That revenue is consolidated in the majors, who coincidentally are all shareholders in Spotify. They're running game on their artists. It's almost as if greater control over the consumption and marketing of music allows the biggest players to make more money surprisedpikachu

Meanwhile many indies are going bust.

If your argument is that physical sales mean nothing in the US, then the US is worth pursuing even less for k-pop companies who rely more heavily on physical sales.

No because the US also has more stadiums/arenas than any other country in the world. A western artist can literally tour in the US alone and make more than than “world tours” by international artists.

Also please stop discrediting streaming in the US. I keep repeating myself over and over again. Roughly 1500 album streams is equivalent to 1 physical album sold. Any international artist breaking into the US would inevitably break into this streaming competition as well, such as BTS.

This obsession with physical album sales really needs to stop because it’s not the only metric for measuring the success of an artist. Like really Madonna’s Confessions album flopped yet her Confessions Tour is one of the highest grossing tour in history. Would that era be considered a flop? I guess by kpop standards.

Also, not to mention we need to wonder how kpop groups can manage to sell 1 million physical albums yet can’t even fill up the Seoul stadium. :pepe-notes:

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• But aren't most kpop fans from Asia? This is the only this site I see where majority of kpop fans are from the west. Usually most of the international kpop fans tend to be from S.E Asia.

I mean yeah currently. So are you saying kpop groups shouldn’t expand their fandoms into non-asian countries? Cause that’s what this is sounding like….

Weird how people have a problem with “western acceptance”. Yet they don’t have a problen with Japanese acceptance, Chinese acceptance, Filipino acceptance, Malaysian acceptance, Indonesian acceptance, Indian acceptance, etc etc….

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• It’s very interesting how I didn’t see any of these thinkpieces on the need for Western acceptance dropped into the many threads or around the time that Onces were very excited about the success of The Feels, having an English album or their American concert tours?

I think it’s great that Twice is having success in the US FWIW, I just find it a bit disingenuous when people bitch about others group’s seeking Western acceptance but turn a blind eye towards their own faves.

As many have already said, the US is the biggest music market, and as I keep saying, even a piece of this market is extremely lucrative. Country is a niche here, just like Kpop, and an extremely lucrative one that has made many people rich.

I’d argue the problem when Kpop fans look at Western success is that they feel like because Kpop is a niche, it’s not successful, but that’s not true at all. Because of the size of the market, even the niches are tremendously successful.

Either way, I like my faves and I want to see them make great music and make money. I’m happy if other Kpop groups are also finding all the possible success. I think it’s great that Twice can play Japanese domes and American arenas, that BTS can play the Grammys and the MAMAs, that Monsta X can tour in Mexico and in Seoul, that my grandma can call me because EXO is in the Olympics and my coworker can ask me if it’s my group they saw on a late night show because man, they were pretty good (it was not, it was Seventeen 😬).

Considering most of us here are in the West, it’s not surprising we get excited when our faves are on TV in the West. This is a pretty normal reaction. If you’re Indonesian, you’re pumped to see your faves on Indonesian TV. If you’re American, you’re pumped to see your faves on American TV. The fact that I don’t have to stay up to 3 am to watch a livestream that may or may not even be available in my country but can instead just flip on the TV at night and see them is exciting and awesome. 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Twice actually chart they're not desperate they're genuinely big in the U.S

• I think this shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the "Hallyu Wave" and what it is meant to entail. Hint: the word "global" features prominently :*

• Twice actually chart they're not desperate they're genuinely big in the U.S

I live in the US. They’re really not. They are very very successful in their niche, just like Morgan Waller is extremely successful in country, Bad Bunny in Latin music and Lil Baby in rap.

If I went and asked 100 people on the street, they probably would not know who any of those people are. This does not make them any less successful because as I keep noting you can be tremendously successful in your niche without being Ariana or Beyonce or Adele.

Also, you’re just disagreeing with your own point. If Western success doesn’t matter, why are you immediately using it as a defense about your favorites?

• I live in the US. They’re really not. They are very very successful in their niche, just like Morgan Waller is extremely successful in country, Bad Bunny in Latin music and Lil Baby in rap.

If I went and asked 100 people on the street, they probably would not know who any of those people are. This does not make them any less successful because as I keep noting you can be tremendously successful in your niche without being Ariana or Beyonce or Adele.

Also, you’re just disagreeing with your own point. If Western success doesn’t matter, why are you immediately using it as a defense about your favorites?

It's the desperation that puts me off.

Actual success makes all the sense but tv shows appearances and etc.

So pointless.

• No they aren't. There is only one kpop group that is genuinely big in the US and that's BTS because much like the biggest artists of other genres... people know the name and have a general idea of who they are (as a group) even if they can't name a single one of their songs.

Their us streams aren't bad they made the hot 100 not many groups have before

Im not saying they're big like for America just for K-pop standards

• It's the desperation that puts me off.

Actual success makes all the sense but tv shows appearances and etc.

So pointless.

So you don't understand the point of promoting a product and instead think it's desperation? I suppose you have similar issues with all types of promotion including movie trailers, tv ads, website ads, billboards, actors appearing on talk shows to promote their work, magazine/newspaper/online interviews etc.

I also assume you have an issue with the fact that allkpop even participates in this "desperation" by partnering with kpop groups for q&as and interviews.

• So you don't understand the point of promoting a product and instead think it's desperation? I suppose you have similar issues with all types of promotion including movie trailers, tv ads, website ads, billboards, actors appearing on talk shows to promote their work, magazine/newspaper/online interviews etc.

I also assume you have an issue with the fact that allkpop even participates in this "desperation" by partnering with kpop groups for q&as and interviews.

Well it's more the fans reaction not so much the promotion.

They hype things up that have no business being hyped up and in the grand scheme of things are completely irrelevant

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!