[theqoo] Aftermath of the call at Sung Il Jong's office following BTS' exemption

• [theqoo] AFTERMATH OF THE CALL AT SUNG ILJONG'S OFFICE FOLLOWING BTS' EXEMPTION

t/n: Sung Iljong is a Korean congressman

AVvXsEhFtdGav5abCBOQlLZ16Hr-xel13lQiBLwHIlt7nU7BOYBAJR3g3nOSzpNsRVyvJVS2cTujhGLb8kQRRl1a4uvpBcHlORodXFtujg87uPpQrXt5fS1-6Ytlw5xb8zqAsE4z5EzstchcPnIljOv0J95FPaVDFZq9sRYpN01jbNXlGUAxGjKGsMHed3NM=s16000
    "I called Sung Iljong's office regarding BTS' exemptions"

"It is said that BTS promoted the national prestige, but I'm not sure what they did concretely in terms of bringing national prestige. As popular singer, they sang and performed entertainment activities under an agency company for the sake of their own success. Are there any specific metrics about what this has to do with the promotion of national prestige?

Sung Iljong's rep said that [the artist] needs to hit #1 on the Billboard as a joke, but an idol group called Stray Kids also took first place on the Billboard a while ago. Then, will Stray Kids be exempt from military service? In some countries, the group EXO is said to be more popular than BTS, so the EXO members are also subject to military exemption?

Even people with brain tumor cancers in their early 20s who don't even have a single penny in their pocket are subject to fulfill their military duties. So why is BTS justified to be exempted? Because they have a good reputation? They have a lot of money? Are BTS members a privileged class in Korea?

BTS themselves have already announced many times in public that they will go to the army, and they have ridiculed and demeaned people who are exempted from the military with song lyrics.'

I know that President-elect Yoon Seok-yul's lifelong philosophy that everyone should be equal and just before the law, whether the president, minister, or chaebol.

Can you say that you will open a fair country by forcing young people in their early twenties to fulfill their duties when you're thinking about military service exemption preferential treatment for popular singers with tens of billions of fortune and fame and popularity?

Currently, in many communities, the name of Rep. Sung Iljong is being discussed and criticized.
    The opinion is unanimous. Please inform the lawmakers about our opinions."

This are the minutes about the conversation I had in length with the district secretary.
    In the beginning, the secretary said that there were discussions about BTS being the only ones to be exempted, but as soon as I refuted it, she didn't say a word like a dumbas*.

I said that I would gather up the opinions and report them directly to Rep. Sung Iljong, so I'll wait. I'll call to protest again if they don't do anything about it.

Korea is not a class society, and BTS members are not a privileged class in a class society.

Even young people in their early 20s are enlisting to fulfill their duties, so why should we give the privilege of exemption from military service to celebrities who have performed entertainment activities for their own success? incomprehensible

Even though I am a young man in my 30s who also already served in the military, I will continue to fight until the end for young people in their early 20s.

original post: here

1. Hybe is amazing for being able to shift the public sentiment from "Those f*ckers are just trying to make excuses to not serve in the army" to "it would be such a waste to send BTS to the army" with the help of the media

2. At this rate, people are starting to beat on BTS' achievements, but this is all the agency's faultㅠㅠㅠ They keep using words like "not sure yet" "uncertainty" so the general public's opinions have all became bad, they could've just stood still if they're going to meet us halfway like that. The only people receiving hate now is Bangtan because of what Hybe is doing. It feels like Hybe's interest totally shifted to their upcoming group and their own business rather than realizing that BTS' reputation is going down the drainㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ If you look at Hybe' attitude, they're clearly just using BTS as a stock defense. BTS still has the potential to hit even bigger

3. He really poured his heart out

4. It's amazing to see even the media turning back on them because the company is unable to do their work
    At this rate, whether they go or don't go, it'll be just as controversial.
    If BTS would've received an exemption, they could've also received it quietly, but now they're acting like it's so unfair for them if they don't receive the exemption and how it's uncomfortable, etc.... Ugh

5. Just go already

6. What OP said is all right. Of course we could give them the exemption, but none of those standards are based in our country and they claim they want to use another country's awardㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I can only laugh

7. The media will murder them if they receive an exemptionㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Just go already

8. The whole time they're discussing about the exemption, BTS has been enjoying their time going in tours, are they going to donate all this money back to Korea? They're freaking shameless, they're already enjoying military preferential treatment as we speak meanwhile they still want us to change the law and exempt them

9. In the past, even the media has given good responses for BTS saying even if they get exempted, it would be okay, but now they've ruined everything...

10. What he said is rightㅋㅋ If they were planning to go in the first place, they would've been serving already

• [theqoo] RELATION BETWEEN THE '100 JOURNALISTS FOR BTS' FAMILY TOUR' AND ARTICLES SUPPORTING THEIR EXEMPTION

AVvXsEjUtn-igrDkm9eUUInLq2FmalT8y3xD7BhWhXKZ3pj916u72bEKx27ynO3vYzlovSkWBhpUFUU4oOhfJnsiR6TDF29ORsl2EXbvXdFE4safq9z0ypsWpeCl3bVQ59wL2CDvwxKvt15oPAHERonQii64p7j8aLCSoagYfD2qvLQhUqSgSaXf9Pw6SCh_=s16000

Lee Jin-hyeong, CCO of Hive, said on the 10th (KST), “Artists (BTS) have repeatedly issued messages in the past saying that they will respond to national calls, and their thoughts remain the same. Regarding the postponement bill, the flow of things ended being different from what they thought, so we are watching the company's situation. After the submission of the draft amendment to the Military Service Act, we have consulted with the company about how this situation will be and have left the decision to the company.”

These remarks came from a press conference related to the performance of 'BTS PERMISSION TO DANCE ON STAGE' held in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA on the 9th local time in the US. Previously, HYBE had invited about 100 reporters to the BTS Las Vegas performance on the 8th and 9th. HYBE provided paid all of their with plane tickets, accommodation, meals, and corona test costs for all 100 reporters.

For this reason, some wondered if this large-scale reporters' family tour was not a "friendship-building-media move" by HYBE, conscious of the issue surrounding the special treatment for BTS' military service.

Of course, this is the first time HYBE has expressed such a specific position on BTS' military service exception. This is also the reason why many articles have chosen titles such as 'HYBE that revealed their first position on special military service' and 'HYBE who opened their mouth'. Even though HYBE said that they didn't plan on touching on the special treatment issue during this tour, it is true that articles on this special military treatment were heavily poured out during the family tour.

In addition, if the media received sponsor from a specific company for their report, usually an explanation such as “This article was written with OO's support” should be disclosed in the article so that readers can develop their own judgement regarding the article. However, it is difficult to find an article with such a disclosure among the BTS articles.

[...]

A situation in which journalism ethics issues can be raised even if it is not a violation of the law. Shim Seok-tae, a professor at Semyung University's Journalism School, told Media Today on the 11th, "Before the Kim Young-ran Act of 2016, companies took a group of reporters to tour overseas technology fairs and home appliance exhibitions, etc. Since the law came into effect, it has changed its course at the media's own expense” he said. “It is unusual for about 100 reporters to go on a family tour as a group considering the enforcement of the Kim Young-ran Act.”

Professor Shim said, “It is unusual for HYBE to support so many media people's overseas business trips, and it is also unusual for so many media people to participate in such event. If there was no problem with this case, it would be the same as saying that there is no restriction on providing amenities to reporters, whether domestic or foreign, business, organization, or political party."

He continued, “Although (HYBE) provided support for the reporters indiscriminately and uniformly, HYBE did not receive the reporters' applications through their homepage which could be fairly viewed by everyone. In reality, HYBE cannot send e-mails to ‘all’ reporters, and so they don't have other choice but to have their own selection process.” This is a rebuttal of HYBE's claim of 'application for uniform news-collection'.

[...]

Park Young-heum, a professor of Media and Visual Advertising at Hyupseong University, said, "No matter how detailed the Kim Young-ran Act is supplemented, it is difficult to define everything in detail. The law is supposed to set the minimum standard, but eventually the media and journalists will be the ones to choose and settle on their own ethical standards".

Professor Park said, "It is possible to reasonably suspect that the BTS agency HYBE planned this family tour with a purpose in mind, but this cannot be proved immediately. From the perspective of reporters, it will be possible to argue that "HYBE said that they received legal advice, so they went there to gather the news because they received support, and reported on the question of special military treatment because the answers were given." However, from a third party's point of view, the situation is suspicious".

Professor Park said "Since the enforcement of the Kim Young-ran Act, companies, public relations officials, and reporters have also improved their practice, but this BTS family tour case is not acceptable because it is not in line with our current times. They should have been careful considering the social situation."

original post: here

1. Hul

2. If they got called, they will enlist. If they haven't been called, then they should just be thankful.. that's it. Why is everyone such a mess

3. I think that this is a legal issue concerning the 'no-solicitation' law. Societally speaking, I think that this is a serious issue

4. If they get exempted, there will be a ton of gossips

5. Please leave HYBE.. please, moronic HYBE is f*cking bad at doing their work

6. Ah...

7. I get that it's controversial if they took 100 reporters with them but I'm not sure if you can claim that this automatically means that they are friendly with reporters...

8. Their companies are doing all kinds of shady things with their money.. Stop with this f*ckery and just enlist when time comes

9. What a mess...

10. Seems like the trash journalists are scared of getting punished. Anyways, if this is illegal, they should get punished. Life is a fight

11. Seeing how they are giving so many benefits to these 100 reporters really shows the intentions of the company ㅇㅇ

12. Their company is really smearing their name...

13. It's always said that Bangtan spreads positive influence but their company is just smearing everything with poop tsk tsk

14. The issue related to BTS exemption started four years ago, and the articles' tone was generally positive, because there is no disagreement about BTS' national prestige

15. Ha.. HYBE is honestly... Bangtan made HYBE so why should they leave HYBE? They should get rid of the management. Seriously, at this point, they should either change them completely or get rid of them... I don't think that they will ever leave.. HYBE is honestly ugh ㅡㅡ

• The funny part about all this shit is international fans being 🤡🤡🤡🤡 blaming all of this on other fans. You know 90% of our nation's population isn't kpop right? Many of the people complaining or being for or against this stuff especially when discussing classim and unfairness and corruption in our nation are not kpop fans.

• They should go enlist. Period.

I saw too many international kpop stan and army who know nothing and is supporting the exemption of BTS because of their huge global achievement. However, global achievement should never be consider as a reason for exemption.

and also for people saying "only controversial because it is BTS". This is a very very ignorant statement and really isn't true. Fans need to stop thinking everything against their faves is haters. Military service for male citizen in Korea is a national duties and have been there for a long time. It is their culture.

I saw too many international kpop stan and army who know nothing and is supporting the exemption of BTS because of their huge global achievement. However, global achievement should never be consider as a reason for exemption.

and also for people saying "only controversial because it is BTS". This is a very very ignorant statement and really isn't true. Fans need to stop thinking everything against their faves is haters. Military service for male citizen in Korea is a national duties and have been there for a long time. It is their culture.

you might be able to argue that if SK didn't already have a long history of awarding exemption based on achievements to athletes and classical musicians. BTS has represented SK on many international platforms and occasions and is recognized as a huge cultural asset and has been since 2018. They aren't just successful, in their success, they've positively spread Korean influence worldwide. Their existence and success inspired this debate. Just because it has never happened before, it doesn't mean BTS can't be the first group to be exempted, even if they remain the only ones for a distant future, they fully deserve it.

yeah bc having bts sit in the military twiddling their thumbs for two years bc of this nationalistic bushtit instead of continuing to grow the sk economy and korea's cultural prestige makes so much sense. they're not going into active duty, they're not going to be in the trenches fighting against nk. so whats the actual point. korean men don't rlly want to serve in the military and many would probably push for service to not be mandatory anymore if they didn't feel this toxic societal pressure.

anything you see coming from sites like pann and theqoo is 100% kpop fans. those sites are no more credible then akp in korea.

who's your favorite artist?

• this situation is getting so ridiculous. even their recent statement says they would go if they need to and if amendments were made, they would act accordingly. why are these losers acting like they are evading illegally? why are they not allowed to take exemption if its awarded to them? can all the classical musicians pls go enlist too? 30 of them were exempted last year? where is the outrage for them? are these musicians and athletes also donating their money to SK?

these kpop stans acting as if the 26/27 kpop companies weren't the first ones using BTS to request for exemption in the first place... now that it may actually happen they are shifting all the blame to BTS? laughable

• aside from the exemption talk….

congrats to Stray Kids for scoring a #1 album at the Billboard 200.

What we’re not going to do is downplay BTS’ achievement of doing the same thing just because another group did it. POPULAR Western artists who sing in English can’t even get a #1 album nor a #1 song in the charts. This just proving that BTS literally paving the way for Korean artists in the biggest music market in the world. 10x bigger than Korea’s. But go off I guess…..

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• But really though, the things that qualify for exemption are odd. Olympic gold because it raises the national prestige except most people around the world don't know who most of the Olympians from other countries are. It's all focused on sports and classical competitions that, at times, have pretty limited reach if we're talking about national prestige. Why are these more acceptable for exemptions? I'm so confused by this part of it.

Also the idea of, "Well I had to suffer so everybody else should have to suffer too," is not that great but not exclusive to SK because you see that here in the US a lot with economic inequality and student loans. I think it's poor reasoning when people in the US say things like this, as well.

• Shouldn't that same argument about achievements and prestige be used for athletes and classical musicians then? Are soccer players also not popular and rich yet still have the potential for exemption?

If it's equality people really want then they should scrap the whole exemption thing for everyone and approve it only for people with medical conditions.

• Shouldn't that same argument about achievements and prestige be used for athletes and classical musicians then? Are soccer players also not popular and rich yet still have the potential for exemption?

If it's equality people really want then they should scrap the whole exemption thing for everyone and approve it only for people with medical conditions.

This entire issue has reeked of hypocrisy - pointing the finger at BTS because they have achieved so much and letting them be the fall guy, now trying to diminish those achievements that were lauded just awhile ago. If this outrage were over EVERYONE getting exemption just for spreading national prestige, I'd be a lot more understanding. But no, it's JUST BTS, because we've been daydreaming about all the positive visibility they have brought to Korea. We're being gaslighted now.

• This entire issue has reeked of hypocrisy - pointing the finger at BTS because they have achieved so much and letting them be the fall guy, now trying to diminish those achievements that were lauded just awhile ago. If this outrage were over EVERYONE getting exemption just for spreading national prestige, I'd be a lot more understanding. But no, it's JUST BTS, because we've been daydreaming about all the positive visibility they have brought to Korea. We're being gaslighted now.

All this post. lololol.

Sorry but BTS is not only the biggest Korean entertainers in HISTORY, but they’re literally the biggest active musicians right now. They’re selling out more concerts than any other artists, even more so than popular Western artists who can’t even fill an arena. They’re downplaying their achievements just for the hell of it.

It’s all ridiculous.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

• This MF set up EXO and SKZ to get dragged...

And as always... We have people all over dragging both groups...

Ain't no way this is an EXO-L or any sane KPOP stan....

a korean man in his 20s naming stray kids and exo as exemplary achievements? :pepe-joy:

this is oozing exols harassing the blue house & melon in 2016 to remove bts's melon daesang vibe

:pepe-clown-gear:

No correlation whatsoever.... Like, come on...

idk why you felt the need to type this out..

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• 0ppar continuing the trend of being the one to post 95% of these articles slamming BTS like they are front page news.

You know I never actively try to keep track of all these enlistment stuff because I find it so dumb and pointless to discuss it.

But I can't help but BE UP WITH THE NEWS because it is constantly in my face

• 0ppar continuing the trend of being the one to post 95% of these articles slamming BTS like they are front page news.

haters keep BTS relevant just as much as fans.

it’s cute that they think fans will somehow stop supporting BTS amongst all this enlistment drama. not gonna happen.

• Not commenting on this guy’s overall opinion towards this. But this dude didn’t mentioned Stray Kids or EXO because he wants them to get an exemption too, he mentioned them to point out how vague their (the government) explanation as to what the standards for entertainers should be in order to get an exemption. If (according to his example) being #1 on BB200 is enough than even Stray Kids can get an exemption (looking at his tone it seems like he thinks it’s ridiculous) or if being popular in another country is one of the standard than EXO too ? He is complaining that there is no clear standard set yet.

And I think he isn’t wrong here.

If they just want to give BTS an exemption for their achievement and this being a standalone decision, they should state that, I don’t think many would oppose that. But if they really want to pass a new Law that gives entertainers in general the possibility to be exempted with BTS being the first to benefit from it, they should set the standard first before giving BTS the exemption that way nobody can say anything as everything happened within the Law.

• Not commenting on this guy’s overall opinion towards this. But this dude didn’t mentioned Stray Kids or EXO because he wants them to get an exemption too, he mentioned them to point out how vague their (the government) explanation as to what the standards for entertainers should be in order to get an exemption. If (according to his example) being #1 on BB200 is enough than even Stray Kids can get an exemption (looking at his tone it seems like he thinks it’s ridiculous) or if being popular in another country is one of the standard than EXO too ? He is complaining that there is no clear standard set yet.

And I think he isn’t wrong here.

If they just want to give BTS an exemption for their achievement and this being a standalone decision, they should state that, I don’t think many would oppose that. But if they really want to pass a new Law that gives entertainers in general the possibility to be exempted with BTS being the first to benefit from it, they should set the standard first before giving BTS the exemption that way nobody can say anything as everything happened within the Law.

Exactly what people are explaining. But fans head empty zero thoughts go on a knee jerk defense spree when it's brought up🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡.

Most people who discuss this here in Korea want to know what the specifics are, what's the qualifications etc how is it determined. Funny how these international fans Keep bringing up athletes etc lol learn our history and maybe they would learn something. This same shit, happened to them when the first iteration of the exemption law was introduced decades before 90% of you were born and before many of you could name 10 countries on a map. There's a shit ton of groups past and present that has or is doing what BTS has done,yet none has exemption. This isn't some QQ my fave didn't get one bs no this is asking what are the absolute requirements for this new law. Is it some political thing to get you some kickbacks? If its for kpop then what are the requirements, etc? The government has been very vague about the details. Koreans are very skeptical of anything new regarding laws and the like so there's always a good deal of discussion about shit if a specific person or group gets the target painted on them to try and deflect the heat from them, then that's unfortunate but classic politics. Like i said before this bs in reality isn't about BTS they are just being used for this to be pushed through.

• This thread is still going? Well here's the latest gallup poll (taken this month) on this issue:

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 2.53.11 AM.png

All you guys get to see are the subset of loud commenters on minor articles someone has to search for to post

Here's a link to the article that's from from a twitter post since I can't post korea/boo links

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Most people who discuss this here in Korea want to know what the specifics are, what's the qualifications etc how is it determined.

That's not what got posted though, is it. And the phone call was totally inaccurate - Stray Kids #1 on the BB200 doesn't make them eligible. The proposed award amendments to include: GRAMMY Awards, the American Music Awards, and the Billboard Music Awards.

The criteria is not yet set, but the ones proposed don't include a #1 on the BB200 anyway. Yes the proposed criteria include an award from the BBMAs, but I guess no one realizes Billboard doesn't award every single artist that hits number 1 on a chart of theirs at the BBMAs? So no, Stray Kids would not be eligible, unless they actually win at the awards ceremony.

• Does it really matter at the end of the day?

If they are exempted, great! They can keep making money for the South Korean economy. If not, also great! They'll serve with pride. I personally now think this is more of a personal matter than political, and it's up to the government, not us, not netizens, to decide.

• If (according to his example) being #1 on BB200 is enough than even Stray Kids can get an exemption (looking at his tone it seems like he thinks it’s ridiculous) or if being popular in another country is one of the standard than EXO too ? He is complaining that there is no clear standard set yet.

It's not. I posted above what the proposed amendments are: including the GRAMMY Awards, the American Music Awards, and the Billboard Music Awards. But since the bill has been delayed, we don't know if that is because they are changing it, etc. We just don't know period.

• Still laughing 🤡🤡🤡 at how these fans keep bringing up athletes and musicians. That shit was just as controversial as this one is when it was first brought up 50yrs ago but i digress.

Before kpop was even a thought in these forgieners heads. Before they even knew wtf a Korean was or what part of Asia was. But suddenly they are experts on everything here🤡🤡 also these poles are poor examples a thousand people is rarely if ever representative of a majority. Example i could pole a thousand people in the USA about Trump and if 60% liked him i would get ridiculed to death by saying that this represents the thoughts of 300+ million people. Yet these fans think these 1k poles= the thoughts of the 50+ million people here in Korea 🤡

• Would be interesting to see the demographic split for the results but can't find it

• these poles are poor examples a thousand people is rarely if ever representative of a majority. Example i could pole a thousand people in the USA about Trump and if 60% liked him i would get ridiculed to death by saying that this represents the thoughts of 300+ million people. Yet these fans think these 1k poles= the thoughts of the 50+ million people here in Korea 🤡

And these knetz represent everyone too? At least Gallup is a respected and impartial source. Face it, neither of them will ever paint a complete picture, but some people are selectively giving weight to a certain type of comment/feeling vs others. I didn't bring this up. Think about who did.

195855-screen-shot-2022-04-15-at-2-53-11-am-png

• ARMYs should be the ones going around in circles about BTS enlistment but we have some users here with no hidden agenda of course who are taking care of this for us. How cute.

It's the same 4 people making threads and writing the same essays in every thread. Quite comical as a fan who's just patiently waiting ^^

• And these knetz represent everyone too? At least Gallup is a respected and impartial source.

195855-screen-shot-2022-04-15-at-2-53-11-am-png

I didn't miss it, just pointing out that people will use these poles as some gotcha moment to say it proves everyone loves the idea. When in reality is far from the truth. Now this pole did state that people are still divided so its not biased. But I know most of these poles are carried out in Seoul and the greater area around the ccapital. If they began poling people in ulsan, sejong etc they'd get an entirely different result.

• I didn't miss it, just pointing out that people will use these poles as some gotcha moment to say it proves everyone loves the idea. When in reality is far from the truth. Now this pole did state that people are still divided so its not biased. But I know most of these poles are carried out in Seoul and the greater area around the ccapital. If they began poling people in ulsan, sejong etc they'd get an entirely different result.

I am actually just trying to show the other side of the argument given the onslaught of these negative articles that are suddenly being posted every other day. It's given some the idea that now the Korean public is against BTS when the real talk in Korea seems to be the incoming president.

I'm just trying to be FAIR so everyone doesn't hear only one curated side of the story.

• I am actually just trying to show the other side of the argument given the onslaught of these negative articles that are suddenly being posted every other day. It's given some the idea that now the Korean public is against BTS when the real talk in Korea seems to be the incoming president.

I'm just trying to be FAIR so everyone doesn't hear only one curated side of the story.

BTS is unfortunately the perfect punching bag to deflect from the ridiculous rising interest rates, and controversial nominees and other shit regarding the new incoming administration.

But its ok because this part is the only fans care about none of this other nasty business over here

• BTS is unfortunately the perfect punching bag to deflect from the ridiculous rising interest rates, and controversial nominees and other shit regarding the new incoming administration.

But its ok because this part is the only fans care about none of this other nasty business over here

EXCUSE ME?

ARMY ain't the ones posting these articles here or bringing this up, yet you're trying to make it out like we are the shallow ones? Just so you can mock us some more?

That says way more about you darling.

• I see your point.

But just like these cherry-picked TheQoo comments don’t represent the Korean population, so do the 1k participants of this survey not represent the whole Korean population either. 59% of 1004 people are just 411 Koreans.

I think both the fans and the ones trying to push a negative agenda aren’t objectively showing what the gp thinks. I guess only Koreans can tell.

• This thread contains 65 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!