Re: Rant as an NCTzen

• OP

Jaehyun, Taeyong and Taeil are my top 3 biases in NCT so I kinda want to give my opinion on this since they were mentioned by OP.

I agree that other members, in particular Jaehyun who’s my ult, should get more opportunities, but I still think they have time to explore that in the future. And still, who’s to say that’s what they actually want right now? Maybe they’re waiting for the right time.

And since you’re comparing Taeyong with Taeil:

Taeil solos/features = 7 (of which 3 are solos)

Taeyong solos/features = 8 (1 solo – Long Flight)

(for reference I’m using this playlist, so there could be more I'm not remembering right now)

So where exactly is Taeyong being favored over Taeil here?

(I’m not counting soundcloud because that stuff is not promoted and not officially released. TY himself writes and produces the tracks with help from his producer friends.)

Also, not saying it’s OP’s case, but it’s really funny to see so many people complaining about favoritism, but once a member has a solo schedule or releases a solo song, they go silent. Did people tune in for the Kim Min-gi tribute which Taeil was a part of recently? I swear I have never seen anyone mention that project neither here nor on twitter. It’s frustrating to me that Taeil (who's my #2 bias) is a main vocalist, has had a fair good share of releases which NO ONE talks about, no one hypes him up, but then see his name being used for the whole “favoritism” talk (which, imo, is just as toxic as “akgae” or “solo stan talk”).

Of course it’s valid to be frustrated over the lack of solo/features and schedules for other members: trust me, I’ve been complaining about it for a long time because how the hell has Jaehyun never released a solo song???? But to start blaming other members and throwing them under the bus, talking about favoritism or mistreatment (OP didn’t mention the latter one but I see it extremely often on NCTzen twt)…? I think it’s unfair for Taeyong and the members given how hard they work.

NCT Lab just got created. A lot of members have expressed interest in releasing their own material. We have to be patient and wait for more releases.

And if you ask me, I’d be surprised if Taeil doesn’t get a solo mini-album/single album before he enlists. Starlight has been doing quite well on Melon and I’m sure SM is aware!

NCT has so many members… if we keep comparing the number of releases and solo schedules of every single one of them, of course there won’t be an even distribution because not all of them want to do the same things. Let's just enjoy the music and wait.

Oh and I completely disagree with OP re: Taeyong's rapping. The start of Sticker could not have been better :nct1: But ofc, that's your opinion and no one is obliged to like the same things!

Anyways, sorry if I sounded a bit abrupt, but this is mostly a rant about what I see people complaining about on twitter too, and it gets on my nerves.

• i don't understand why some nctzens, akgaes, non fans and antis alike seem to think that Taeyong getting opportunities and other members getting opportunities are somehow mutually exclusive. They are not, you all don't need to deprive Taeyong of his gigs to ensure your biases will get gigs of their own.

as for the rapping, i guess it is an acquired taste. for me, Taeyong's rapping style is one of the defining points of NCT's music and i love it.

• period. from the get-go i knew OP was literally a butt-hurt ty anti

"tyonfs are so entitled." 56453-ezgif-3-c27854430f85-gif

• Words from an outsider:

When you mentioned that some members may not feel the same interest in releasing solo content. YES!

Some may consider that every idol that comes from groups that are more active with their production side would wish to have their own music released/produced, but that doesn't happen much.

Many idols just want to keep doing what they're doing and they're fine with that. So I think it's unfair when fans compare members' projects and consider them all "numbers", like which one had more projects released, who had more covers, who had more collabs, etc.

About Taeil and fans having no hype about his projects despite him releasing a considerable amount of songs just reveals how much the TY favoritism topic is a fake concern. If one is worried about other members not having lots of opportunities, at least give an extra support/hype to the other members who are doing their projects.

• Preach it, sis.

One thing that drives me crazy about this fandom are the akgaes. Sure we joke about being akgaes, but that's good-natured poking at each other when we support all the members in their endeavors.

You can pick and choose any member and make an argument about what they are or aren't getting, but fundamentally in any group, not every member will get the same amount of attention or content. I don't think you need to put down one member to build another up.

When I see crap like this I'm reminded how sunflowers were revolting because Haechan didn't have a solo in the Neo City Link concerts until Haechan spoke up and said he didn't want one at that point. Like it seriously never seems to occur to people that the idol themselves may not be ready or want to do a solo. I've seen interviews with Baekhyun and Kai, who are very experienced performers with more years of experience under their belts than the Neos, talk about how terrifying it was to perform solo without the security blanket of their group. Even though we've seen them for years, some of these members are still very young and may not feel ready.

I'd also add that I keep seeing the narrative that "well they gave Taeyong a SoundCloud." You know who else has a SoundCloud? Kun.

And I don't think anyone in any world thinks that man is SM's favorite.

My point here is stuff like this doesn't give the members any credit for initiative on what they want to do. Kun has a SoundCloud because he's interested in producing and songwriting. It wasn't even a Pro account (i.e. monetized) for quite some time. SM started talking about his producer credits and posting his remixes or covers as time went on.

But that's because he's interested in it and has expressed that and started sharing it out with the fans.

Also FWIW, the member that had the most solo stations before this latest release is actually Ten. He has a lot to complain about too, but this just gets to my point about how you can pick and choose anything.

Honestly, I wish people focused more on supporting than who got what.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I like Taeyong's raps - I keep saying he's a highly stylistic rapper that changes up his cadence, flow and tones. There are lots of styles of rap, honestly, from slow to fast, from hard-hitting to high-pitched and off-kilter. In Sticker, he brings in some of the vocal fry to align with the off-kilter flute in the intro. In contrast, Mark's portion rides the more regular rhythm with the flute. I think he and Mark make a great complement of styles.

The nature of rap tho, IMO, is that you may have preferences in the style and sound, like someone might feel too nasal to you and someone else you may feel is kind of off the beat ( J Cole, I'm looking at you), but I'd argue that just because you don't like the style doesn't mean the person isn't capable. I don't usually care for Lil Durk's style but I certainly think the man can rap.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!