Ageist issues. How many of you refuse to grow out of kpop?

• This is not about just listening to music but the idea of stanning an idol 10,15,20 years younger than you. Ignore if you are still in school or doesn't speak to you. It's not your fault the idols are getting younger but is this a sign that we should grow out of it? Or should we just ignore the age?

• I'm 54 in August and still a fan albeit not as fervent as I used to be. I do worry about still listening to it especially when some of the idols are only a tad older than my own daughter. I will grow out of it altogether and that time is not far away. I have work and other interests and am not really bothered anymore. I find it kind of weird to be listening to groups that are barely out of their teens.

• I see your point, tbh when it comes to other people you can’t really know if they’re genuinely enjoying keeping up with kpop like a sports fans or it’s a creepy behavior, but it’s not a new thing tho, there’s many industries which people keep up that have new young faces every month and its followers are obsessed with them. Ngl when I see the way some older fans talk about teenagers it does seems weird (like bahi case in that show).

I personally never saw the appeal of following younger idols except from listening to their music, but I’m also not a multistan so there’s that :/

• I'm 54 in August and still a fan albeit not as fervent as I used to be. I do worry about still listening to it especially when some of the idols are only a tad older than my own daughter. I will grow out of it altogether and that time is not far away. I have work and other interests and am not really bothered anymore. I find it kind of weird to be listening to groups that are barely out of their teens.

Wow I wonder how you got into kpop. I can understand you tho. Kpop is kind of like new hobby only discovered last decade globally. One has to grow out of it soon.

• Wow I wonder how you got into kpop. I can understand you tho. Kpop is kind of like new hobby only discovered last decade globally. One has to grow out of it soon.

My daughter was the one who got me into it when she was 9 quite by accident really.

• I find it kind of weird to be listening to groups that are barely out of their teens

I obviously can’t change what you feel but imo listening isn’t the problem, Jackson 5 comes to mind, people used to be obsessed with their songs and no one saw a problem with it, it’s mostly the obsessive behavior that kpop brings with it (which happens in other industries too).

• I obviously can’t change what you feel but imo listening isn’t the problem, Jackson 5 comes to mind, people used to be obsessed with their songs and no one saw a problem with it, it’s mostly the obsessive behavior that kpop brings with it (which happens in other industries too).

The big difference is kpop is targeted towards that obsessive behaviour. It's hard to not ignore it.

• I obviously can’t change what you feel but imo listening isn’t the problem, Jackson 5 comes to mind, people used to be obsessed with their songs and no one saw a problem with it, it’s mostly the obsessive behavior that kpop brings with it (which happens in other industries too).

Well fortunately I'm not obsessed with it either, not anymore anyway. I'm over all that.

• I honestly can't imagine myself stanning kids 10 or so years younger than me but I don't think there's anything wrong with being a fan, music is timeless after all. So I don't think there's a need to "grow out of it", you just like some songs of the genre or you don't, just like any other type of music

• The big difference is kpop is targeted towards that obsessive behaviour. It's hard to not ignore it.

Yup, just putting it out there for people who think it’s wrong just to listen to it, I actually feel how this person feels rn, I still keep up with kpop and stuff but hardly consume content like I used to.

Well fortunately I'm not obsessed with it either, not anymore anyway. I'm over all that.

Same, I remember when I used to actually help my faves with hashtags, stay up with other fans and discuss. I still do that sometimes but some things I just can’t be bothered. I still look back at it fondly tho, phases I guess lol

• Interesting point and surprisingly today i was thinking about it and i really thought: "am i crazy or do idols keep getting younger?" And tbh it was confusing. I'm super ok with stanning +20yo idols, but 15 yo?

So i understood why I don't stan the 4th gen that much and i just enjoy the music. I see that I'm more inclined to like ggs more too. I don't see this "facility" with bgs and it's surprising bc i don't have this problem with the others gens groups, buuuuuut I'm not an abnormal stan neither obsessed, but i won't lie here, in bgs i tend to find "crushes" and I understand that this new groups are for a younger audience so not for me.

I'm not old, but 16 yo? Yes, i won't feel a connection like i do with BP or BB for example. Treasure though is a rare case bc i watched their survival show, cried a lot and i see them as cute kids kkkkk

Anyways, i won't grow out of kpop, but if we get to a point where just teens exist in kpop groups, yes, i probably will fade away with my faves kkkkkk

• it's weird that we have to "refuse" to stop listening to kpop or following idol groups. why is a genre of music something we have to grow out of?

my mil stans the hell out of bts and she's in her 60s. is she not allowed to like them as a group because she's too old? why does age have to have any affect on enjoying things? i know another family member who's literally a grandma in her 80s who loves kpop, follows a million groups, buys albums, goes to concerts. is she supposed to grow out of it?

i don't see anything wrong with stanning kpop groups at any age. it doesn't have to be some kind of weird, sexualized, imaginary one-sided relationship X/ let the old people enjoy things. damn

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• Jihyo is already 10 years younger than I am.

If appreciating her talent and charisma and performance and beauty is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

If rooting for her to succeed and wanting the best for her is wrong, then I don't know what to do.

If consuming the extra content of shows and vlives and messages because I find them entertaining is wrong, then I'll stay in my room and enjoy them away from all the self-righteous ones that want to judge me for it.

Yes, I like Twice.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• There's no age limit in being a fan.

It's only a problem if you're treating being a fan as some obligation/job. Feeling like you have to do this or that as a fan, that's just ridiculous in all ages.

• To me, I don't think I would ever be too old to stan a kpop group. I am already about 10 years older than most of the idols I support. Kpop, everything about it, just brings me so much happiness. It is sincere and watching these kids work so hard achieving their dreams, it is truly inspiring. I know they can do some spicy things at times, but to me it is just flare and hamminess. They bring joy to my every day normal life and seeing them joyful and giving them support and just feeling like I am a part of something bigger, it has been incredible. It is like I am rooting for them from afar with whatever path they choose. I hope that makes sense. :shyr::shyr:

• I'm 33 and Ive been into kpop for about 15 years.

I don't feel any pressure to move on.

I like it. It's a nice time out from regular life. I've been into Kdramas even longer so kpop was a natural extension of that.

I don't keep up with the pop culture in my own country so kpop and kdrama pretty much functions as a replacement for that for me. My "pop culture" as an interest is Korean pop culture.

And yes. I like Tzuyu.

^^

• it's weird that we have to "refuse" to stop listening to kpop or following idol groups. why is a genre of music something we have to grow out of?

my mil stans the hell out of bts and she's in her 60s. is she not allowed to like them as a group because she's too old? why does age have to have any affect on enjoying things? i know another family member who's literally a grandma in her 80s who loves kpop, follows a million groups, buys albums, goes to concerts. is she supposed to grow out of it?

i don't see anything wrong with stanning kpop groups at any age. it doesn't have to be some kind of weird, sexualized, imaginary one-sided relationship X/ let the old people enjoy things. damn

BTS are grown men that’s the difference we’re talking about stanning 15 yo idols

• wow 15 years.

• Have you listened to local pop recently? Once the fantastic EDM era ended and the last vestiges of rock peaked with The Killers, and once we entered the most boring era of modern American pop music ever (the stripped down, 3 note, high hat and snare/kick drum, mumbled, processed, autotuned noisy mess that infests the Hot 100), i lost all interest in it.

Kpop is 1000x more inventive and interesting musically. For those of us boomers, it's refreshing to hear music like this. We grew up on freaking ROCKNROLL, lyrical rap including gangsta rap, New Jack Swing, British synth pop. Music that was loud and noisy and diverse and interesting.

We grew up on legendary songs like this:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So what am i gonna choose that gives me the same passion and angst and energy:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

or

• Obsessive behavior is weird regardless of the age of the fan. You don't get a pass just because you're a teen or a student. Like no one should be in delululand. :pepestare:

• Hmm

This could be an interesting topic, but so badly worded - "refuse"? If a person is not harming anyone mentally, emotionally or physically (including themselves), no one should have a right to gatekeep their activities.

So the question is, who is getting hurt here? Why is society so bent out of shape about someone liking music that may be sung by a younger person? What values are they then ascribing to it? And is it true?

• I enjoy the work of many artists (musical, acting, dancing whatever) and even might admire their beauty who are younger, older, and literally dead. I see nothing weird about it. Thinking Marilyn Monroe was gorgeous doesn't mean that I'm harboring some secret fantasy that one day I'll date her. Only in kpop do people assume that fans are that delusional or that anyone out of a narrow age must have nefarious intentions. As long as people aren't sexualizing minors, let people like what they like.

• Kpop is very interesting music wise and there's no need to grow out of it. But how much are u following each group's activities? Should you grow out of that? Or just ignore the age?

• I enjoy the work of many artists (musical, acting, dancing whatever) and even might admire their beauty who are younger, older, and literally dead. I see nothing weird about it. Thinking Marilyn Monroe was gorgeous doesn't mean that I'm harboring some secret fantasy that one day I'll date her. Only in kpop do people assume that fans are that delusional or that anyone out of a narrow age must have nefarious intentions. As long as people aren't sexualizing minors, let people like what they like.

I never understood the idea that finding someone pretty was at all sexual or that I want to date them.

Pretty just means I like the visual look of something or someone.

I find paintings, flowers, and sunsets pretty. That doesn't mean that I'm taking Mother Nature out to Olive Garden later tonight.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• Kpop is very interesting music wise and there's no need to grow out of it. But how much are u following each group's activities? Should you grow out of that? Or just ignore the age?

I think following groups' every activity is a new problem because of abundance of online content. Kpop is like the master of it. interesting.

• I never understood the idea that finding someone pretty was at all sexual or that I want to date them.

Pretty just means I like the visual look of something or someone.

I find paintings, flowers, and sunsets pretty. That doesn't mean that I'm taking Mother Nature out to Olive Garden later tonight.

you can take me to the olive garden!!

Agreed. I watch all of Up10tion's content, and own their entire discography and then some. And I will never get rid of it, or SF9's or Ateez, or everyone else's lol. I enjoy kpop it brings me happiness and gives me something to be excited over. I don't give a fuck how old i am. Music is music, I've watched a ton of content and KDrama's.

P.S. watch let me be your knight

do eeet

• This thread contains 59 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!