So it turns out Gfriend was forced to disband…why do you think Hybe/Source did so?

• [theqoo] GFRIEND MEMBERS TALKING ABOUT THE SHOCKING CONTRACT TERMINATION
    We translate Pann articles about Korean news, music, drama and lifestyle
    www.pannchoa.com

Turns out the members still want to continue as Gfriend and Hybe says no. Why do you think Hybe would say no. Apink is doing not as good as Gfriend and they can still continue so why not Gfriend, especially when Hybe seems to give them more budget already when they join Hybe, which means Hybe believes in their potential somewhat.

It was especially hard for me last year, we were trying to not make it obvious in front of the fans, seriously it was such a hard time for all of us. I never knew I could cry so much. I thought I have cried every tear in my body last year, I think that Gfriend will come back…”

• APink members were acting, and invited many times to variety shows/tv shows, also members had their own radio programs, to add that they were leaving separately...

when GFriend had dorm, and they didn't have that additional 'income' of things mentioned above, that was probably main factor

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Aren't worth the effort sadly, they could not grow sales past 100k and both their domestic and international charting wasn't very good. Hybe clearly put alot of money in their last couple of comebacks, just look at the outfits and mvs, but there comes a point when it's time to move on. If you want to see GFriend succeed still support the solos and Viviz on Queendom

I see, but the members clearly were upset, so I don’t know if it could be handled better.

• the truth is already out there

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Because they never cared about having GFriend under their label. If they did, they would have given them a proper farewell. Even JYP gave GOT7 a final round of promotions knowing they weren't going to continue with the company.

• i think buddies wouldn't be this mad if it wasn't so abrupt... they weren't given a proper goodbye album or concert too. It's like 'yeah you're fired'. If you don't see how problematic that is, idk what to say...

• They had their minds set on another girl group but what SoMu and Hybe did to those girls was uncalled for.

Just abruptly terminating their contacts and saying peace. If this was like Starbucks or any other company they could’ve been sued for terrible management. Even collecting merchandise sales despite them disbanding.

Maybe the girls have a lawsuit on hand. With what they went through to carry that company on their poor backs and perform in the rain having to slip and bust their ass on stage to get SoMu where they’re now.

tumblr_nzies3E9yh1uf1itwo1_500.gif

LORD & SAVIOR PARK JIHYO | ITZY | YUKIKA | RUANN | | TWICE | BRAVE GIRLS | APRIL | FROMIS_9 | TOMMY FEBRUARY6

Edited once, last by Park_Oppa ().

• ?( Where are all the people that have been claiming arrogantly for months that there was no way it was HYBE's/Source Music's decision to have GFriend disbanded, that it was GFriend's own desire and wish to disband and leave and that Buddies were whiners and fools and toxic for saying that they didn't like the disbandment and how it went and blamed HYBE/Source for it? :|

We won't know for sure, but like some already said I also think it's likeliest HYBE/Source Music didn't see any profit or future in continuing the contract, based on declining results of GFriend's last comebacks, and that they had other plans in preparation - like debuting multiple girl groups, of which one would fall under the now groupless Source Music.

Makes the most sense to me.

Hybe are not only an entertainment company, but also a business. They're not obligated to keep all their groups running till infinity.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Edited 2 times, last by FoReveries ().

• it is true that it was too abrupt but i honestly blame that on source. nu'est is getting a final cb and promos. source probably just wanted to focus on lesserafim honestly. they owe hybe a lot of money and gfriend wasn't making it back for them

who's your favorite artist?

• Kpop stans need to remember that this is a BUSINESS!

Some of y’all are way to sensitive and you would fail at running a label, and yet always have the most to say.

• Kpop stans need to remember that this is a BUSINESS!

Some of y’all are way to sensitive and you would fail at running a label, and yet always have the most to say.

Yeah, a business that would’ve been sued if Gfriend were regular employees. SoMu would’ve had a lawsuit handed to them.

And for once stop being a company stan because you’re being way to sensitive to actually see the real issue here lol.

Also, there’s a way to handle a “business” instead of cutting their ties with the group that raised you just like that. Ending things in a better way instead of making things difficult for the members like Sin B to run her mouth and expose the truth behind their disbandment. And for this company to collect their coins from merchandise when they disbanded.

tumblr_nzies3E9yh1uf1itwo1_500.gif

LORD & SAVIOR PARK JIHYO | ITZY | YUKIKA | RUANN | | TWICE | BRAVE GIRLS | APRIL | FROMIS_9 | TOMMY FEBRUARY6

• Yeah, a business that would’ve been sued if Gfriend were regular employees. SoMu would’ve had a lawsuit handed to them.

And for once stop being a company stan because you’re being way to sensitive to actually see the real issue here lol.

Also, there’s a way to handle a “business” instead of cutting their ties with the group that raised you just like that. Ending things in a better way instead of making things difficult for the members like Sin B to run her mouth and expose the truth behind their disbandment. And for this company to collect their coins from merchandise when they disbanded.

Idgaf about Hybe, and I said what I said.

They weren’t profitable so they had to go.

• They really should have treated them better in the end. Fine you don't want to continue the group but tell the members before hand? Treat them justly.

Even in the end they acted badly when they wouldn't refund the money for their fanclub membership. Literally how much would it cost them, less than 1 merch round for their artists :suure:

• I’m abhor by the comments I see here and I’m not even a Buddy.

Gfriend was selling decently. There are groups with worse sales and do just fine. Y’all talking like Gfriend was doing so bad they were losing money. Source and Hybe is financially capable of floating this group and they are totally capable of making enough to sustain themselves and some profit. They could go solo, release sub units, do other activities. They were still selling and has a dedicated fandom. There was no need to cut them like that when they helped built Source from the ground up.

What ironic is if Source never sold and needed Gfriend as cash cow, they will be acting like all the other agencies and tried to ruin their artist if they try to leave.

What Source did to them is immoral and a betrayal. Business is business, but there is people who was behind the business. Sans immoral behavior from the group, there was no need to treat Gfriend like that. I hope people realize that your own groups will some day past their peak. It is not okay to be so callous even in the name of business and money.

I thought they wanted to pursue other things and did not renewed. Seem like they were never given a choice. Gfriend was done so dirty and that’s a fact.

• People are forgetting that loyalty to your artist builds a brand and reputation.

That reputation will help the company to score top trainees and even already famous artists to sign with them.

SoMu is losing cred as a good company. They might never grow beyond a 1 artist agency.

• I honestly don't even think SouMu exists like that anymore. Bang PD is heavily involved in the new group, he's got BTS' creative director in the mix. Feel like BH just absorbed SouMu's assets and trainees, had their management peace out, and now they're just gonna use the Source name to put GGs under so they have some space from BigHit's BGs.

• To note: the last paragraph is why I think HYBE/Source Music said their goodbyes to GFriend. From a business viewpoint, I understand it.

Still, personally I disagree with it.

There have been enough examples of groups that managed to rise up again after a dip period and enough companies that took the risk to continue and stick with their groups even when these groups experienced setbacks and struggles. Source Music with the resources and experiences Bighit/HYBE have could easily have done the same for GFriend. After everything GFriend went through and managed to achieve and support Source Music, GFriend deserved more and GFriend certainly still had potential.

The second thing I disagree with is how the parting ways went: it was abrupt, apparently even for staff, and there was nothing like a proper goodbye concert or album or something sortlike. It felt cold, heartless, and SinB's and some other former GFriend members' comments seem to corroborate this.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I see, but the members clearly were upset, so I don’t know if it could be handled better.

They could've handled it like nu'est.

Give the fans a CLEAR GOODBYE and not just give them a 4 day leash and say good luck we got ur name.

ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧ .˚ₓ

mommy_4.gif?ex=65a85d34&is=6595e834&hm=50f059e90767d9facb1c82b68c45d0f6c6e5f8269960fa4f886821daf25e222e&mommy1.gif?ex=65a3e386&is=65916e86&hm=d381ca9a5b8567eb2add35beb4500ba97294f8aba8086aa851d2d070bcdc7c09&MOMMY2.gif?ex=65a3e340&is=65916e40&hm=26511d71edbd5bf0743ba1c1b99856afb6aa6c3cb46ca09ac057283cb66ff7ee&

• I thought some buddies where dramatic claiming that it was some evil plan because HYBE hated women and would be blacklist Gfriend members from appearing in public and stuff lol You second paragraph says it all, I guess a lot of people (excl company stans) just understood that it was like just riping the band aid already for a group that wasn't really going anywhere considering MAGO already had the budget and effort but the results weren't worth to keep a 7 year group. The end was def shitty tho, Source Music surprised me because I thoguht they cared about Gfriend, they were their only group for almost a decade, it's more fucked up the longer you think about it... almost the same level of YG killing 2ne1 to debut blackpink, depends on what you think its worse: cutting ties already or indefinite hiatus.

• The way they were unceremoniously tossed aside is so weird though. Compare their dismissal to what's going on with Nuest or even what happened with GOt7. It seemed like it was intentionally mean spirited and personal by Hybe. I believe in karma and maybe what's happening now with Lessrafrim is karma biting back. We all know they were let go because Hybe wanted to jumpstart Ssamkura but they couldve handled the transition a lot better.

Also, this group was selling 80k per comeback. Off the top of my head, that's still top 10 or top 15 for GGs. It's not like they were selling like my nugu faves no one has heard of ;(;( .

• I do not think that Hybe are the all evil mega enemy here. g friend were not profitable and it seems that before they were cut, they tried different directions for them and it wasn’t working… so from a business point of view, bye bye.

THAT said, it was really shit for those girls and their fans how it happened, and I think if they had been one of Hybe/Big Hit’s original groups/ priorities rather than a group that was acquired, it may well have been handled differently and I don’t really think it ended with anyone involved looking particularly good .

• Couldnt grow sales, couldn't get 4th gen bg charting and international growth was minimal to nonexistent, what is shocking?

sales were stagnant but they out chart 4th gen bg by miles and they were defiantly growing internationally yall be saying anything lmao

• I think how they ended it was shitty and they could have given them at least a warning and give them time so that they could say goodbye to their fans properly.

On the side note, people here saying that they would be sued if it was any other business don't make sense to me. Idols are like employees on a contract basis. It is not a lifetime contract. The idols are not bound by the company after the contract ends and it is their choice to renew or not renew the contract given the company still want them. And it is not illegal for a company not to renew their contracts either is what I think.

I mean if it stated in the contract that the idols should be given prior warning or

information regarding the disbandment beforehand then it is completely in the idols right to sue them for breach of contract. But I dont think it is mandatory for a company to offer another contract if deems not neccessary.

Suppose you employ your workers on contract basis, and the contract ended, would you give them another opportunity if you deems them not profitable or useful?

Edited once, last by hruaiic ().

• business is business but that doesn't mean you treat them that shitty. not even giving them the talk or giving the fans a chance to properly bid them a farewell, especially SoMu, looking at you, gfriend did raise the company no matter how less profitable they became in future, such a shitty thing to do and I hope they get their karma for it.

• This thread contains 16 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!