"BTS HAVE BECOME WESTERNIZED "

• Since BTS shifted from a more hip hop focused group to a mixture of vocal and rap, people have been throwing this line at as an insult towards them. Another insult they get is that they are now making music for white people.

How has BTS become westernized when Hip Hop originated from african american which is in the west?

The line that they now make music for white people doesn't sit well with me. They are basically implying that black people can only listen to rap/hip hop and since BTS is not a hip hop focused group anymore they wouldn't listen to them. They basically throwing those stereotypes around.

While BTS now is not a full hip hop group, rap is still an integral part of their music. Are people also forgetting on what the interity of kpop is based on and taking heavy inspiration from?

Everyone using that westernized line as an insult, you sound dumb and needs to educate yourself.

• I dont think BTS are a rap heavy group anymore considering there new album BE and dynamite and LGO were not rap heavy or anything like that. Dynamite was in full english and was made for the west, I'm black and I can agree with what you said but for there recent 4 comebacks it is straying away from the hip hop and rap to appealing to basic pop music.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• honestly speaking people who claim bts are "more westernized" now have no idea what they're talking about. there are many claims that kpop is ~different~ but if we really deconstruct kpop down to its bare bones, we know these few things are fact

1. kpop literally originated from western trends, specifically american hip hop

2. kpop's progression closely followed progression of particularly u.s popular music trends from the 90s, then early 2000s, then 2010s

3. kpop today is propped up by many western producers/song writers

the only thing that kept kpop from becoming a complete american industry copy was lee soomin throwing japanese influences in the mix. most of kpop's "quirkier" concepts can almost be directly traced back to things that japan has been doing for over a century. very few things in kpop are inherently "korean" other than in your face korean culture concepts like idol. thats just a fact. its all a hodgepodge of ideas that originated somewhere else. but maybe that in itself is what makes it "kpop". however, bts has never strayed far outside of that besides not doing the same shit that every other group is doing at the same time as every other group.

didn't mean to write an essay but yeah.

who's your favorite artist?

• I dont think BTS are a rap heavy group anymore considering there new album BE and dynamite and LGO were not rap heavy or anything like that. Dynamite was in full english and was made for the west, I'm black and I can agree with what you said but for there recent 4 comebacks it is straying away from the hip hop and rap to appealing to basic pop music.

its seems like you completely missed the point... its that them being a "hip hop group" didnt garner the same criticism of them being "westernized" that they get now.

• its seems like you completely missed the point... its that them being a "hip hop group" didnt garner the same criticism of them being "westernized" that they get now.

I dont get what you mean people are criticizing them for being westernized because they are. Nobody criticized them for being a rap heavy group.

• I dont get what you mean people are criticizing them for being westernized because they are. Nobody criticized them for being a rap heavy group.

:sweatr1:

this is the last time im going to attempt to explain.

hip hop = western

bts was a hip hop group, nobody called them western

NOW they get called "more westernized"

the point is the hypocrisy, and idiocy. i don't want to call you illiterate or anything bc im unsure if english is your first language, but its rlly not that hard to understand, babe.

• I dont get what you mean people are criticizing them for being westernized because they are. Nobody criticized them for being a rap heavy group.

That's stupid since rap/hip hop is from the west. So how does that make sense?

Also you can't use just one album out of their entire discography to claim that they are not rap heavy. When you have disease which has old school hip hop vibes. You also forget mots7 that they released the same year as BE.

• :pepe-toilet: yes you are correct

• Meanwhile BTS released this:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

stream IDOL yall....

• Normally i would say that people saying this are just being salty but are y'all forgetting Dynamite? The song was made by Americans, written in American, with purely American references, and peddled by the American CEO of Columbia who made it his personal mission to get the song a #1 on the American BB Hot 100. There was nothing Korean about it except the DNA of the singers performing it.

What should've happened was a FAR SUPERIOR song like Telepathy shouldve been the one breaking records.

• Normally i would say that people saying this are just being salty but are y'all forgetting Dynamite? The song was made by Americans, written in American, with purely American references, and peddled by the American CEO of Columbia who made it his personal mission to get the song a #1 on the American BB Hot 100. There was nothing Korean about it except the DNA of the singers performing it.

What should've happened was a FAR SUPERIOR song like Telepathy shouldve been the one breaking records.

So because of one song out of their entire 8+ years career? And what did they released after it BE a korean album with the exception of dyna. So stop your clownery.

I mean this is one song over the 57 ( 58 ? ) that they released this year. Yeah it was made to appeal to the US GP, but that's a reach to call them westernized because of this ONE song.

Not their fault that the US GP has terrible taste, lol.

• I mean this is one song over the 57 ( 58 ? ) that they released this year. Yeah it was made to appeal to the US GP, but that's a reach to call them westernized because of this ONE song.

Not their fault that the US GP has terrible taste, lol.

Not just USA, Dynamite is killing it globally. And Dynamite has propelled BTS to become the leading kpop group in Japan. So it’s not really westernised, maybe globalised?

:pepe-flirt:

Some users are really really salty about King Dynamite, it’s unbelievable

• Not just USA, Dynamite is killing it globally. And Dynamite has propelled BTS to become the leading kpop group in Japan. So it’s not really westernised, maybe globalised?

:pepe-flirt:

Some users are really really salty about King Dynamite, it’s unbelievable

I'm still not over Dynamite's success in Japan, lol. Arguably more impressive than in the US tbh.

• People are just salty, no one would be saying this about Dynamite if it wasn't such a huge success and did normally like other kpop groups English songs do :pepe-tea:

Dynamite did it because it is a "generic" song but their faves generic songs couldn't do it so some salt is expected :pepeflushed:

• It's because they are so successful in the west. So the next logical thing to diminsh them is to state that they've become so westernised.

They did ONE feel good english song in a pandemic and now they're friggin NSYNC.

You would think the strongly Korean BE album directly after their anomaly of a song dynamite would show you where their heart lies. But alas. You cant see logic through bitterness.

If they followed up with another all guns blazing english single to captilise you would have an argument.

• Meanwhile BTS released this:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

stream IDOL yall....

It really cemented how ignorant kpop fans are after I saw people running around claiming this song is western

Edited once, last by kiwijoon ().

• Because ppl didn't expect dynamite to blow up this big.

As per claims of it was made for US why is that song performing so well in japan, korea and other european countries, heck even in india?

Ppl called them westernized when tear was released and they did the first performance at bbma, then they released idol.

They were called westernized when dna was released when half of the kpop releases the same kind of cheerful pop songs.

They simply need a reason to drag bts, most of the kpop producers used to Swedish in 2md gen should we called swedenized or what?

• Hell when BTS was promoting dynamite at jimmy fallon.... this was the first performance of BTS WEEK:

that says a lot to me.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!