Presidential Elect Committee begins full-scale review into BTS military exemption

• Presidential Elect Committee begins full-scale review into BTS military exemption

BTS%20military%20exemption.png

Article: Transition Committee, "full-scale review of BTS' military exemption"

Source: Sports Kyunghyang

BTS' military exemption is being discussed in earnest.

According to an exclusive report by Munhwa Ilbo on the 1st, President-elect Yoon Seok-yeol's Presidential Transition Committee is currently reviewing a plan to exempt BTS from active duty service. The Chairman of the committee Ahn Cheol-soo, will be visiting HYBE to discuss the matter.

According to the report, "the transition committee intensively discussed ways to prepare alternatives to military service, such as art and sports personnel services or volunteer work, only for pop culture artists who are recognized for 'improving national prestige'."

bts%20military.png

Ahn Cheol-soo and other officials of the transition committee plan to meet with HYBE officials and the core issue to be discussed will be BTS' military service.

An amendment bill that includes special military service for pop culture artists, including BTS, has been continuously debated, however it's currently in pending status with the National Assembly.

Meanwhile, Ahn Cheol-soo has been a huge advocate for BTS' military exemption. In November last year, he wrote on his Facebook, "I hope BTS will be given a fair opportunity to perform alternative service, just like youth in other fields who have also highly contributed to national interests. It would be reverse discrimination if BTS is made an exception."

comment1.png

1. [+2,547, -527] So we're basically sh*t [poop] to them
    2. [+1,636, -303] This is like getting eliminated at the 9th inning during the semifinals...why only BTS?
    3. [+806, -163] Stop using idols to cut the tail! Put more effort into doing your jobs right instead of distracting us with your politics using Kpop here and there to make headlines!!
    4. [+644, -105] Ah ~ so this is that fairness and common sense daenams [conservatives] kept asking for..
    5. [+501, -115] Gan Cheol-seo back at it with the shovels ㅋㅋ
    6. [+393, -24] Just be honest and say this will "elevate" the prestige of the 300 members of the National Assembly..
    7. [+342, -90] So the standards will be what? If you rank #1 in the Billboards, win a Grammy, an Academy Award or make to the top 16 of the World Cup? Then you'll get an exemption? It makes no sense whatsoever to exempt them over a field no one else is guaranteed to participate in just because BTS gained some fame.
    8. [+322, -70] This is just...not right. They'll receive special perks anyway if they enlist given their fame when compared to the rest of the soldiers, that's consideration enough. But to completely exempt them from service? The standards are ambiguous enough already that it'll cause side effects.
    9. [+246, -54] But for the sake of national interest it makes sense to exempt them. Just imagine if Son Heung-min enlisted. 경The ripple effect to our economy will be a thousand times worse!
    10. [+209, -37] Na Ji-wan and Oh Ji-hwan didn't play a single game properly at the Asian games but still received exemptions because they won a gold medal. How is this any different? BTS are tens of thousand times more profitable than those two and are promoting our country's prestige all over the world. It'll be too unfair if they didn't receive an exemption.
    11. [+171, -15] He hasn't even sat in the Blue House yet and he's caring about idols? What happened to the issues and livelihoods of the rest of us?
    12. [+143, -5] Review more important things first instead of idols!!
    13. [+78, -7] Putting in so much effort over such useless things...f*ck
  • Hybe denied this is why they were meeting :eyes:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• just fucking LOL

And I do not apologize for the usage of the word fuck because I shall be using it further.

Those fucking idiots have no idea of the amount of money going back to South Korea just because BTS breathes.

And we're not talking here about just taxes or valuations.

The boys wear something? Sold out insta.

They recommend or like something? Sold out.

Just say you are jealous that your shitty life will never amount to it and be done with it.

What?

[+78, -7] Putting in so much effort over such useless things...f*ck

Useless? Trillions of won coming to your country yearly just because BTS exists.

AI SHIBAL!

• While I can understand why they want to exempt BTS… people didn’t voted for the new president for this. The country has a big socioeconomical issue and the people are tired of the wealthy getting so much benefits or treated as something better than the average citizen. So I can understand why they might react a bit sensitive towards topics like this where it’s discussed if a Group of men who now reached prestige status should get special treatment or not. That’s not what they want to hear or read.

Just bad timing!

• I thought I remember seeing something about this guy wanting to remove part of the athlete exemptions in addition to bumping service time back up to 24 months. :/

• The new president is very unpopular and won with a small margin. His committee has no power to make decision about military exception.

They are just like the other politicians, trying to use Bts to get some good press and diverge the bad one away. That’s why the commenters was pissed.

• Going by the money logic every chaebol should be exempt then. To be clear i think as long as the exemption law for athletes etc assist that idols such as bts should also be exempt, but money has never been a factor in that law.

South korean is dystopian in the differences between the rich and poor and its only growing, for many this would only be another example of the rich and famous bypassing the law. When a whole generation is on the way to be locked out completly from the housing market, this being brought up right now is not going to garner much sympathy from the public.

• Going by the money logic every chaebol should be exempt then. To be clear i think as long as the exemption law for athletes etc assist that idols such as bts should also be exempt, but money has never been a factor in that law.

South korean is dystopian in the differences between the rich and poor and its only growing, for many this would only be another example of the rich and famous bypassing the law. When a whole generation is on the way to be locked out completly from the housing market, this being brought up right now is not going to garner much sympathy from the public.

then fix the problem at its root?

It has been done before.

Stop mandatory enlistment, and start paying good money for a professional army.

NATO has been doing it for years now.

Just sayin'

• then fix the problem at its root?

It has been done before.

Stop mandatory enlistment, and start paying good money for a professional army.

NATO has been doing it for years now.

Just sayin'

Well im not really arguing for or against that, but they already have among the highest military spending in the world as they are technically still in war with north korea who fields 1 million active men at any given time just a stonethrow away from the capital. Going fully professional is not really feasible from an economic standpoint, and would also mean the loss of most of the 3 million traineed reserve they can call upon.

In north korea both men and women have to serve, 11 years for men and 7 for women, they have over 7 million in reserve they can call up on.

And NATO have several members with manadatory enlistment.

• [+171, -15] He hasn't even sat in the Blue House yet and he's caring about idols? What happened to the issues and livelihoods of the rest of us?

[+143, -5] Review more important things first instead of idols!!

[+78, -7] Putting in so much effort over such useless things...f*ck

These are the things we Koreans are worried about. Inflation among other things not 7 rich guys that will never know that trouble.

Nothing bad to BTS but bro we have more important shit to worry about than if they had to join the military like I did.

• Well im not really arguing for or against that, but they already have among the highest military spending in the world as they are technically still in war with north korea who fields 1 million active men at any given time just a stonethrow away from the capital. Going fully professional is not really feasible from an economic standpoint, and would also mean the loss of most of the 3 million traineed reserve they can call upon.

In north korea both men and women have to serve, 11 years for men and 7 for women, they have over 7 million in reserve they can call up on.

And NATO have several members with manadatory enlistment.

Lets not forget both north Korea and China are both hostile states and north Korea has actively engaged us in border skirmishes over the past decade. Fire fights at the dmz is not uncommon and with how unstable and hostile the regime is, they could start war at the drop of a hat. So we unfortunately cannot afford to quit mandatory service. The only way this truly goes away is either north Korea signs a peace treaty and really changes or begins reunification. Or we become a nuclear armed state over night which would prevent any attack as nuclear deterrent is that ultimate fuck you. Something Ukraine wish it kept now.

• A few of those comments seem more upset that their faves wouldn't meet the requirements, if you read between the lines.

You don't need to read between the lines. They are more upset that they have to serve in the military and others don't. There's extreme resentment against celebrities for getting special treatment in the military to begin with. They even go after celebrities for getting public service duty because of their health instead of enlisting as active duty soldiers. Baekhyun and Zico had to publicly reveal their personal health issues because people were dragging them for going public service. Mino from Winner recently revealed he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder several years ago and people are accusing him of faking it to get public service duty. There's even an actor with bone cancer who has tried to enlist multiple times, but keeps getting rejected because he has bone cancer but still deals with malicious comments about him not serving.

• It is already denied from both sides, they aren’t there to discuss about that. But about that kpop cultural thing they want to turn the blue house into. BTS will enlist voluntarily when the time comes, seriously just leave them alone if y’all are not gonna exempt them. Having that convo when it isn’t going to happen is useless and damaging to BTS

• Lets not forget both north Korea and China are both hostile states and north Korea has actively engaged us in border skirmishes over the past decade. Fire fights at the dmz is not uncommon and with how unstable and hostile the regime is, they could start war at the drop of a hat. So we unfortunately cannot afford to quit mandatory service. The only way this truly goes away is either north Korea signs a peace treaty and really changes or begins reunification. Or we become a nuclear armed state over night which would prevent any attack as nuclear deterrent is that ultimate fuck you. Something Ukraine wish it kept now.

If i were a betting man, i would say Korea already has nuclear weapons. Just like Israel. Nobody wants to publicly admit this of course.

Korea needs to make military service less of a trainwreck. A professional, volunteer military force is the only way to maximize your potential. Even if you reduce your numbers by two thirds, a highly trained, highly motivated smaller force is MUCH MORE CAPABLE than a giant force that is filled with forced conscripts who demonstrate little or no interest or aptitude in combat and who are living in a constant state of fear with the rampant bullying, hazing, and torture they are subject to by superiors. It's better for Korean society as a whole too, how many young men are ruined by two years of this bullying, hazing nonsense?

Make the military a place where you can actually build a real career, earn real benefits, learn real skills. If you have to, use some form of a draft to fill out the ancillary and logistical forces needed to support the military. The cooks, cleaners, truck drivers, office workers, whatever. But keep the actual fighting force lean, tough and most importantly, motivated.

We learned the lesson the hard way in Vietnam. Korea should learn from our mistakes.

• Yes Many of us vets who had the privilege to serve in combined arms bases have seen the benefits and were quite jealous of how usa troops are treated and many of the benefits they received. Changing military service has been talked about for decades and only recently has some positive changes been made. But doing away with it and moving to a different system isn't all that easy or simple, this is something that has to happen at every level including culturally all while under the constant threat of war. This is a process that could realistically never happen.

• I feel so embarrassed at some of yall acting like you know everything about Korea and telling its citizens what they should think ☠ can we stay in our lane please

I mean Korea is making bank from foreigners due to BTS and that’s the entire point of why people are calling for their exemption.

also weird because months ago many Koreans were in support of BTS possibly having an exemption or an alternative to the traditional military service. But now that it’s becoming a real thing, then it’s suddenly an issue.. but probably because the new president-elect is very controversial.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• You don't need to read between the lines. They are more upset that they have to serve in the military and others don't. There's extreme resentment against celebrities for getting special treatment in the military to begin with. They even go after celebrities for getting public service duty because of their health instead of enlisting as active duty soldiers. Baekhyun and Zico had to publicly reveal their personal health issues because people were dragging them for going public service. Mino from Winner recently revealed he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder several years ago and people are accusing him of faking it to get public service duty. There's even an actor with bone cancer who has tried to enlist multiple times, but keeps getting rejected because he has bone cancer but still deals with malicious comments about him not serving.

Because too many international fans don't know shit about Korea or our culture and it shows.

The reason people here get soo worked up about this is partly due to unfairness and resentment. Hard work is a big part of asian culture especially here in Korea. " I worked hard, so why shouldn't you" is a very popular sentiment amongst all ages demographics regardless of class, the vast majority of people will agree to this at some degree and doesn't believe someone should get a "free ride". Another reason people have been critical of idols is because in the past they have received preferential treatment, where going into the military was literally a vacation for them, they literally got to sit up and chill while their fellow soldiers had to do all the fucking work. So much backlash to government at that time is what changed the way it's dealt with now, and how the military today goes out of its way to declare no special treatment, that's why they went so far with G dragon when claims came in that he got special treatment and they had to release records saying he didn't. This whole BTS exemption thing could trigger that whole thing again which is why some politicians and the generals don't want to touch this shit with a 1000km pole. But others seeking to popularize and expand their political gain is trying to capitalize on this for the younger generation. But the younger generation won't care unless this applies to them not some celebrities we have nothing in common with besides being blood koreans

• Hate how some people are trying to explain what s south korea should do with THEIR military like :clown:

l was technically still a Korean citizen for half my life, don't i have a say in the matter? I've talked about stuff like this with my cousins and uncles and my dad who were actually conscripts, i'm not just talking out of my ass... for once lol.

• I literally know nothing about their politics and I'm guessing the average kpop fan doesn't either. It's just weird to me how people talk about this stuff like it's fiction Idk how to explain it lmfao.

Anyways best of luck to yall would be sad to see BTS broken up like other groups that went

Honestly they could serve real military service one at a time and their popularity probably won’t even suffer…. Suga was out for nearly a year and fans forgot all about it like it never happened.

The change in tone with Koreans when it comes to BTS’ military service is what’s surprising. But like I mentioned, might just be because of the new president-elect who literally just won a few weeks ago and yet prioritizing this whole BTS thing…. lol.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• Just overall bad timing. While general men’s military enlistment time is proposed to be 24 months again instead of 18 mos, article like this came out. Also overall this president is gaining bad rep all around.

Anyways it’s up to their country😁 their country, their rules.

• Is it related to this? Kmoa are mad now.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Can they just stop dragging BTS's name please, even the GP has caught on them trying to use BTS for their political agenda.

I understand that they've never been in this situation before where they had a pop act so popular worldwide, but seriously, change the rules, make them clear for everyone.

As much as the members deserve an exemption, we all know it all comes down to money, they basically both want to please the GP and not lose all the money that BTS is bringing into their country and can't seem the right solution for it.

• BTS is not even there and baseless articles like this are popping up when it is more damaging (because korean men are afraid their own service will be extended), beside a lot of people dislike the new president.

As always, it is obvious why certain "reporters" try to drag BTS name but HYBE is also at fault for having weird meeting with such a controversial figure. Should have clarified from the beginning what it was about.

They don't care of course, too busy trying to jump ship and gain favours from this man.

Disgusting all around, I just want BTS away from all this bs

⟭⟬ ARTIST OF THE YEAR ⟭⟬

AWARDS-AMERICAN-MUSIC--97_1637613102609_1637613116956.JPG

• [+806, -163] Stop using idols to cut the tail! Put more effort into doing your jobs right instead of distracting us with your politics using Kpop here and there to make headlines!!

This comment nailed it

Never trust politicians :pepepizza:

• To correct the wrong info in your comment, they already denied way earlier that the meeting was not about enlistment from Hybe side and politician side. And also the politician side announced it before Hybe could even confirm it. It’s more like I’m gg to visit you no matter what situation. Good thing BTS weren’t around, also interestingly such topics always pop up when BTS are in America doing impt things

[naver/theqoo/instiz] PRESIDENTIAL TRANSITION COMMITTEE, CONSIDERING EXEMPTING BTS FROM THE ARMY FT. CLARIFICATION
    We translate Pann articles about Korean news, music, drama and lifestyle
    www.pannchoa.com

638e00a6ef5a3336174dd7d7b4c14680.gif

Edited once, last by BRIYANI ().

Chaebol are old men who already served. If you mean their children then they are replaceable. It’s the company that make the money, the chaebol children just inherit it. Anybody can “do their job”. Sit and just spend money, or have actual smart people work for them.

Bts is irreplaceable individuals. That’s what sport exemptions exist. The individual themselves can not be replace easily with someone else who has the same capacity to deliver the same result.

Bts are not simply rich and famous. They boost the local economy, spread cultural awareness and part of the country growing soft power. And most importantly, they are not replaceable. Being rich and famous is the byproduct, not the consideration for their exemptions.

• Chaebol are old men who already served. If you mean their children then they are replaceable. It’s the company that make the money, the chaebol children just inherit it. Anybody can “do their job”. Sit and just spend money, or have actual smart people work for them.

Bts is irreplaceable individuals. That’s what sport exemptions exist. The individual themselves can not be replace easily with someone else who has the same capacity to deliver the same result.

Bts are not simply rich and famous. They boost the local economy, spread cultural awareness and part of the country growing soft power. And most importantly, they are not replaceable. Being rich and famous is the byproduct, not the consideration for their exemptions.

The post i responded to argued for money being a factor in exemption, which i think is a slippery slope.

Personally, if a country has mandatory enlistment, i dont think neither money, fame or any other achivement should be a factor for exemption at all, the only valid reason should be medical. If a politician even mentioned the possiblity of such a law in my country it would be the end of their political career overnight.

Any exemption law will always give possible loopholes to those born rich, with a thousand more opportunities to reach any of the possible requirments then the average citizien will have thanks to money and resources available to them.

• The post i responded to argued for money being a factor in exemption, which i think is a slippery slope.

Personally, if a country has mandatory enlistment, i dont think neither money, fame or any other achivement should be a factor for exemption at all, the only valid reason should be medical. If a politician even mentioned the possiblity of such a law in my country it would be the end of their political career overnight.

That’s the thing. They already have exemptions for Olympic medalist, classical artists and sportsmen that brings national prestige to the global audience. So why pop culture is being discriminated?

• The post i responded to argued for money being a factor in exemption, which i think is a slippery slope.

Any exemption law will always give possible loopholes to those born rich, with a thousand more opportunities to reach any of the possible requirments then the average citizien will have thanks to money and resources available to them.

Loopholes always exist. If korea never gave athletes and other arts exemptions we wouldn’t have this discussion but they do so here we are.

I’m fine whether bts enlist or not, but just for the sake of discussion, money is a fair point because it’s more quantifiable and objective than feeling of fairness. Additionally we are not talking about money bts personally made but they add a couple billions to their country GDP just by being such a great cultural export. They raise awareness for Korean cultures abroad, increasing affinity that end up benefit a whole lot more than just themselves. And this transcend not just the music industry but food, fashion and others as well.

So the debate here isn’t about whether bts will serve but how can they serve to maximize their potential? What bts can bring is not something any rich person can with just wealth and resources. What bts has is influence, especially international influences. That they have in spades, and maybe only less than the previous SK president on the global stage.

I think bts will be more than happy to just serve regularly but let’s be real, it’s Korea that lose out more than bts here.

• This thread contains 10 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!