[theqoo] Superstar who is f*cking popular worldwide except in Korea lately

• [theqoo] SUPERSTAR WHO IS F*CKING POPULAR WORLDWIDE EXCEPT IN KOREA LATELY

AVvXsEiIvXTo-olg0W01GdvMD-ZoVgdnSClQ_Lccj72OoH8HZEXc0xHxFx0yeBRGM_I0KS3XooC0irQSKYD-mQ2-b9ksFOg2WD7mbftwxkmQj6M6BO1ISIO8VOFEfy4FFBx6fNPgEnTNy5fc2Fb0nvhSP_eb-_SDUIPx2AudfHHwTXpwLDUUoEb2_MfRY_v0=s16000

Olivia Rodrigo

It wouldn't be an overstatement to say that she created the biggest craze overseas last year as a singer
    She's also the most successful Asian signer in the mainstream overseas
    AVvXsEimTNbqyexj95KYJPe7W14uoJVBKAlxBVzdCSNA4xrd8QImvV28I1-mP_YDbq9Cj68eX12c-k6S-Cv0PeEOB8ErLbVwF8oJMotU_JZh-SYaEvYRvNTWb4k2t21DruOkYmhQa1UOzrMg4_sTU0rScKYH4GpbIzsA7GdDUs9n_Ac5U9JGeExIQGYvTzfZ=s16000

#1 on Billboard for 8 weeks in a row since her debut song (Drivers License)
    On Spotify (US version of Melon), all her songs even the b-sides were lined up from top1 to top10 on their weekly charts
    She broke all of the digital streaming records
    She was also #1 for 9 weeks consecutive in UK.

If you look at the countries for number 1, you can see
    Except for Korea, she was #1 for North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia.
    She beat everyone down to a pulp around the world

Last year, from the beginning of the year until Spring, her debut song was still beating everyone down to the pulp
    and in Summer, she released another mega hit Good4U

AVvXsEiXCpe-P-gl4f6kA_MXXkzmos-KPkglQh8gF--nOkCkT3ZKApeQM3-NIsV8mHXsVNCXHHVtsKR7Dq7ZV8-XxHLlx-6-54FRkQRQSkRclH14BIBoAOtr9N34g-LjX5y6YpS-5WG0oYk31jJmvzB-UJclcB2tOlZiPkGQIio34SfqWnF0BlmmSfQAUH3M=s16000

It was #2 on the Billboard for 11 weeks (...)
    Despite not bale to win #1, she was able to stay on the charts for a super long-run and she got even more popular
    On the annual chart, it was recognized as one of the top five mega-hit songs of 2021.
    Like their debut song, she swept the top spots in major markets including North America, Europe, Australia, Asia, and Africa.
    (Again, except for Korea....ㅠ)

AVvXsEhk8CV8Y8titAwrbjs043j387K1tU_ZdPYBvV9gkv3YwKFSyBcYYLTNawjI1rCXjPG-NHrnxAItzY7Gdyel_9JSoFY-WKD80rJZnpQ63riMBwTStkgJ3k7tiIBqnF8A5mp2EW1d8q-MHrIyrlyQi7HJXEbeCbWN54kkd2gPZ7eRxTXx2JK5_xZ8ozZF=s16000

She also graced the cover as a 2021 representative celebrity selected by Time magazine.

At the Grammy Awards, which will be held next Monday in Korean time,
    She was nominated for 7 categories including Song of the Year and Record of the Year.

original post: here

1. She's not our type so we don't listen to her, that's it. I've listened V channel for pop music in the past and she's just not my type

2. Her songs are so childish and her voice is also not my time, even though she's pretty

3. She's way too butthurt about her ex-boyfriend so I can't stand her songs ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

4. I listen to ABCDEFU lately... (t/n: fun fact, this song is huge in Korea right now, at the top of Melon charts)

5. I liked Good4U but Driver License wasn't my style

6. But she's not that popular in other Asian countries either, why only nitpick at Korea?

7. She only has one albumㅎㅎ Sour was a masterpiece, everyone please listen..

8. She reminds me of Taylor Swift, Taylor too swept the world in one go, but nobody knows her in Korea..

9. Hul I only know that she's close to Rose, I didn't know she was this famous..

10. Because of her plagiarism, I don't listen to her

11. Didn't people say she sucks live? How can she go for the long-run?

12. Her songs sucks

13. She plagiarized twice, she's so so

14. She's not the type of person our country likesㅠㅠ

15. Why is everyone acting so mad here? I read all the comments here from the one comment and everyone looks so pissed off? I know there's a lot of comments saying she doesn't do your type of music, but it just shows that there are indeed a lot of people listening to her no.. Anyways look at Bieber and Anne-Marie, they don't really chart in our country either so it just means that our general public have a different definition of pop music. If you hit #1 on Billboard, it doesn't mean that it'll naturally hit #1 in our country

• 2. Her songs are so childish and her voice is also not my time, even though she's pretty

3. She's way too butthurt about her ex-boyfriend so I can't stand her songs ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

bro thats literally popular kpop groups

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• I was thinking the same thing when I read that... :pepe-cringe::pepe-tea:

Korea transitioned to girl crush and literally forgot how groups like G-FRIEND, Twice, and Red Velvet dominated back in the day.

Yena's Smiley has been in the Top 15 of Melon for like over a month or more, and...it's not exactly 13+.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• I was thinking the same thing when I read that... :pepe-cringe::pepe-tea:

Korea transitioned to girl crush and literally forgot how groups like G-FRIEND, Twice, and Red Velvet dominated back in the day.

Yena's Smiley has been in the Top 15 of Melon for like over a month or more, and...it's not exactly 13+.

red velvet didn't have a cute concept they were quirky and they had their velvet side which is more r&b ish

• red velvet didn't have a cute concept they were quirky and they had their velvet side which is more r&b ish

Red Velvet had Red and Velvet. Much like Black Pink has the Black and Pink side. They had songs that were quirky but cute, and those were their best charting songs. Russion Roulette and Red Flavor in particular. Rookie was also very cute but didn't do very well.

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• east asian countries are notorious for not stanning for WW hits made by anyone but korean acts or white people nothing new nothing shocking

blinding lights was also a hit everywhere but korea ( and then they stanned for stay which is literally a copy-paste......)

you can't really boil it down to "not my taste" when songs like TOMBOY & Dynamite were directly influenced by the trends set by G4U/Blinding Lights and they topped the charts there

• 2. Her songs are so childish and her voice is also not my time, even though she's pretty

stay pressed :cursing:

• I was referring to the childish portion of the comments. Not the breakup portion.

oh right

idk man girl crush songs can be extremely childish too with the tryharding

children irl these days are extreme tryhands

i genuinely rarely see innocent and friendly children these days so the definition of childish to me is changing too

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• their cute was more quirky not really cute like griend/apink or twice. I wouldn't put them in the same category

Cute is cute. You might not put them in the same category, but Red Velvet literally wore these dresses for Rookie.

RedVelvetRookieOutfit1.png

But, I'm not hating on them. I preferred Red Velvet Red side more up until they kind of combined them around Peek A Boo era.

• Anyways look at Bieber and Anne-Marie, they don't really chart in our country either so it just means that our general public have a different definition of pop music. If you hit #1 on Billboard, it doesn't mean that it'll naturally hit #1 in our country

Exactly. Or hell, look at their own idol groups. There are groups that don't make a huge splash in Korea even though they have pretty sizable fanbases. How often do our own forums debate if such-and-such company/group just doesn't "get" how to make it big in certain countries?

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• Cute is cute. You might not put them in the same category, but Red Velvet literally wore these dresses for Rookie.

RedVelvetRookieOutfit1.png

But, I'm not hating on them. I preferred Red Velvet Red side more up until they kind of combined them around Peek A Boo era.

if we go with that logic blackpink is cute too lol they have ice cream and as if it's your last lol having some cute elements in a video doesn't mean they do cute concepts. Other than rookie but even that song isn't cutesy per se it's more quirky a bit weird if you ask me if anything they have songs that are quite experimental.

I don't know why people think anything that isn't girl crush is cute there are many other concepts.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!