Could kpop survive without music videos?

• If YouTube and all other means of watching videos were taken down by the government could kpop survive?

I don't think it would seeing as how kpop is 95% visual. If fans can't look at pretty people doing epic dancing then what's the point right?

• I don't think it would seeing as how kpop is 95% visual.

*sigh*

If YouTube and all other means of watching videos were taken down by the government could kpop survive?

for clarification, which government?

If the US had done so, a sizeable chunk would be taken out of sales and the kpop industry would likely have an economic crunch, same if the EU collectively bans videos, yes hype would die down a tad. If Korea banned video services, then there might be a chance, if kpop pivoted and marketed westward harder.

Generally though I think kpop would come under crisis regardless because of the economic implications that banning video services would have on the economy, rather than on kpop itself.

radioplay and spotify are things that skirt this, plus if, I guess, they were to send the Videos as a part of the albums? Concerts would be a great workaround as well. there is a debate as to whether or not Livestreaming counts as video or simply Tele-Vision?

Plus VPNs are a thing and I think that would just poke holes the hypothetical "video blockade"

• You make great points. I'm less worried about global financial impact and more focused on if yall could listen to kpop music like back in the days of pre MTV.

And why did you sigh at my visual comment? Kpop fans have proven pretty people make a song sound better than not pretty people. I mean how many female idols are on Lunas level? Yet she cant sell 5 albums :(

• YouTube will disappear someday, it's inevitable. The augmented bandwidth will allow for the producer to stream directly from the Agency without any 3rd party processing. You'll get content delivered directly to your devices based on your preferences.

Video killed the radio. The Internet killed MTV. Something will kill YouTube.......

I agree completely. Just like originally everything was on Netflix but now there are a hundred streaming services each offering their own stuff.

• But Blackpink videos average the most views from any group. YG artists in general have always relied on the spectacle of their MVs.

they still have less music and hungry fans, atp blinks would do anything for the girls :aespa2:

• Uncle fans are not the majority of Twice's fans. There were people of all ages at the Twice concerts in the US.

I'm sure Uncle fans like music too.

uncle fans only listen to H.O.T and Seo Taji, horizon :fingerk:

• serious reply though, i have a feeling it will overall effect the hype for kpop, but not the listeners. its pretty clear kpop gets a lot of hype for the colorful MVs and scenes + choreographies. without all of that in MVs, kpop kinda loses its pizazz

• And why did you sigh at my visual comment? Kpop fans have proven pretty people make a song sound better than not pretty people. I mean how many female idols are on Lunas level? Yet she cant sell 5 albums

eh on the one hand I do recognize that that phenomenon exists, people stanning for visuals

but like it is also disrespectful to the idols and oversimplifies the fanbase.

TL;DR: it could have been phrased better.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!