Has any KPOP group promote their album the way Western artists do it?

• Basically releasing a few main tracks and then their album after. Most KPOP groups release like an album and then 1 title + 1 side track.

Have any KPOP group tried releasing multiple main tracks and multiple MVs followed by their album?

The only group I know that did this is Day6. They released 6 MVs title tracks , every month from Jan to June

And then at the end they released their full album Sunrise

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

They did the same from Jul to Dec

And released Moonrise in Dec

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Wondering if any group did this sort of promotion? Also what do you guys think about this kind of promotion compared to the standard KPOP style of promotion?

• icyruios

Changed the title of the thread from “Have any KPOP group promote their album the way Western artists do it?” to “Has any KPOP group promote their album the way Western artists do it?”.
  • I wish BTS release an album where they promote all of their songs or release them like singles. All the songs deserve to be appreciated :pepe-hype: They've done multiple singles before, like Dynamite and LGO but LGO was barely promoted lol.

And Sunrise might be my favorite DAY6 album, it's so good :pepemusic:

• Is this style of promotion effective?

How much did their this album sell compared to other albums?

This was an old tweet (sorry I don't know how to search twitter properly) so yes they actually doubled their sales with Sunrise and Moonrise. Those aren't huge numbers but it was a huge jump for them

External Content twitter.com

2017 was kinda like a breakthrough for them because of their song "You Were Beautiful" I think Day6 gained a lot of fans during this period

External Content www.youtube.com

• I wish BTS release an album where they promote all of their songs or release them like singles. All the songs deserve to be appreciated :pepe-hype: They've done multiple singles before, like Dynamite and LGO but LGO was barely promoted lol.

And Sunrise might be my favorite DAY6 album, it's so good :pepemusic:

Sunrise is my favourite too :pepe-excited::pepe-excited:

Followed by Youth Part 2 and Entropy

• oh i see it did helped in increasing their sales.

But this style of promotion with multiple mvs seems to be very costly maybe that's why most companies don't think its worth it

• Lately, the closest examples are

1) Blackpink with HYLT, IC before album drop

2) Chungha with Stay tonight, Play, dream of you (promo), X before dropping Querencia with title Bicycle.

MADE was different. It was released as a series of double title tracks x4 (with single albums) then with full album MADE with new title tracks FXXK IT and Last Dance

If you're looking for these kind of promotion, you can find them in most of YG releases. YG doesnt waste songs on the album. They promote many tracks and ensure many songs become popular. It happened with 2ne1, ikon also.

• Is this style of promotion effective?

How much did their this album sell compared to other albums?

It is likely not going to sell more albums (since that is drivem by fanbase) but definitely will increase exposure + higher chance to get a hit.

This kind of promotion is only effective on digital + streaming.

• Bigbang with made in 2015

Not a group but IU with palette.

I think for the top tier artists its effective, why get less sales for a b-song on an album when you can spread out the releases and have several songs from one album top the charts?

For lesser known artists or if they are not consistent in quality im not sure its a good strategy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!