KPOP’s Most Underrated Main Dancers #1: Astro’s Rocky Appreciation

• As a lover of all things dance and someone who appreciates the art form so much, I wanted to start a little mini series of threads on some of my fave dancers that I feel are underrated and not as hyped as they should be. That being said, Rocky is not only one of the top dancers of his generation, but easily among the very best in the industry periodt. I think since Astro’s boost in popularity, more people recognize the name Rocky for being a good dancer, but he still doesn’t get as much praise as his skill warrants due to general lack of awareness.

Here’s a short sneak peak of today’s dancer (predebut at age 16):

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Do you see how sharp his movement is? How fluid at the same time? How gorgeous those lines are? The way he combines a hip hop style and contemporary with his beautiful turns in one choreography? Before he even debuted? Insane.

I’m sure a lot of people have no idea just how extensive his background and training in dance is, but he’s actually been exceptionally amazing since his child hood. For starters, he was making contemporary self choreographed work since all the way back in 2012, when boy was like 13:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Another self choreographed audition that showcased two completely different styles in one video at the age of 13:

Rocky at age 14 with more self choreographed work. You can really see how he got even more fluid and precise with his movements:

Rocky at age 15 with some dance covers where you can really see him start to come into his own style and become grown. Even between the two videos you can see how much he grew in a year’s time:

Like Chile….? He was always insane.

Ever since debuting he’s also posted several Kpop dance covers as well as more self choreographed work that showcases his unique style:

His most recent masterpiece of a choreography where he tells a beautiful story:

Like…studio choom WHO?! Anyways I’ve rambled on enough y’all im so sorry. Tldr: STAN BEST MAIN DANCER ROCKY!!

• External Content www.youtube.com

There is something hypnotizing about watching this man dance

• External Content www.youtube.com

There is something hypnotizing about watching this man dance

Captivating King

:pepecute:

• OMG YES BESTIE ROCKY IS SO UNDERRATED! He literally choreographed for 5urprise when he was a teenager!

Like he showed up DAY ONE ready to own.

External Content www.youtube.com

He was the assistant choreographer for this stage featuring Ten, Shownu, Dino, and Jinyoung

External Content www.youtube.com

Literally one of the most underrated all around idols in the game. He's got dance, rap, and vocals (he literally has the highest range in Astro despite being a main rapper).

If Fantagio doesn't start sending him out to do dance collabs on year end shows :pepe-cut::pepe-cut:

• YASSS BESTIE COME THRU WITH THE RECEIPTS!!

I can’t believe I forgot to highlight the fact that he choreographed for 5urprise!! This boy is just insanely talented. I was going to talk about his other great aspects, but since this mini series is gonna be dance focused I really wanted everyone’s attention to be on how phenomenal of a dancer he is. Also that stage which includes another dancer I’ll be highlighting (Dino), was iconic.

To me, Rocky always comes to mind when I think “Best Main Dancers of Kpop”. Of course the typical answers like Taemin, Kai, Jhope, Jimin, Lay, Ten, Hoshi, etc etc are always deserved, but I definitely feel like Rocky deserves to be more widely recognized. The way he moves and choreographs is just different, and I started off the series with him because I feel like he was the perfect representation of underrated top tier talent in the industry.

• YASSS BESTIE COME THRU WITH THE RECEIPTS!!

I can’t believe I forgot to highlight the fact that he choreographed for 5urprise!! This boy is just insanely talented. I was going to talk about his other great aspects, but since this mini series is gonna be dance focused I really wanted everyone’s attention to be on how phenomenal of a dancer he is. Also that stage which includes another dancer I’ll be highlighting (Dino), was iconic.

To me, Rocky always comes to mind when I think “Best Main Dancers of Kpop”. Of course the typical answers like Taemin, Kai, Jhope, Jimin, Lay, Ten, Hoshi, etc etc are always deserved, but I definitely feel like Rocky deserves to be more widely recognized. The way he moves and choreographs is just different, and I started off the series with him because I feel like he was the perfect representation of underrated top tier talent in the industry.

You are so right. He's so versatile in what he can pull off. I was so happy and proud seeing clips of his dance break and splits from Just Breath popping up on my timeline. He deserves so much more recognition. :pepecute:

• You are so right. He's so versatile in what he can pull off. I was so happy and proud seeing clips of his dance break and splits from Just Breath popping up on my timeline. He deserves so much more recognition. :pepecute:

Yassss absolutely, contemporary, jazz, hip hop, and even his background in Taekwondo shows a lot in his versatility of movement and choreography. Even tho he isn’t necessarily the reason Astro got popular by any means, I’m still glad the other member’s popularity has rubbed off and contributed to getting Rocky’s name out there and at the very least making people recognize him for being such a phenomenal dancer. If it’s ok with you, I’ll be sure to tag you in the other threads throughout the mini series.

• Yassss absolutely, contemporary, jazz, hip hop, and even his background in Taekwondo shows a lot in his versatility of movement and choreography. Even tho he isn’t necessarily the reason Astro got popular by any means, I’m still glad the other member’s popularity has rubbed off and contributed to getting Rocky’s name out there and at the very least making people recognize him for being such a phenomenal dancer. If it’s ok with you, I’ll be sure to tag you in the other threads throughout the mini series.

yessss Astro is entering their success era and I love it. They just keep growing. :pepe-sad:

And yes please tag me! :froghype:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!