Is releasing less hits better than releasing one flop?

• what's better? 20

1. releasing more music: higher chance for a hit, but a much higher chance for a flop​ (14) 70%
    2. releasing less music: lower chance for a hit, but a much lower chance for a flop​ (6) 30%

That is what Teddy seems to think.

Teddy revealed in the BP doc that he has not released (and probably will not release) most of the songs he made for BP. He clearly has very high standards for all songs he releases, which has annoyed fans because it means that we get less music than is normal from idols.

It also explains why he has so many hits and so few flops. He clearly thinks that a longer period of inactivity is better than a single flop. Perhaps because one flop would hurt the artist(s) much more than a long wait for content, especially for new artists who might not be given another chance by the public after one failure.

On the other hand, releasing more music probably increases the chance for a hit because one of the rejected songs might have done much better than expected.

Teddy's track record is hard to argue with, but maybe it would be better to lower standards a little and release more music.

So what's better:

- releasing more music: higher chance for a hit, but a much higher chance for a flop

- releasing less music: lower chance for a hit, but a much lower chance for a flop

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

• in blackpink's case, the releasing less music strategy works well because they've got hype behind them. there's pros and cons to both sides. the best thing would be to find the balance between the two because you don't to be wasting money but you also don't want the group to be forgotten during a hiatus.

bigger companies seem to go for the release more music because they can afford to take a hit here and there financially.

smaller companies sometimes have no choice but to go the less music route.

• The thing is that when you will release one bop

like pro-bop, the one that will storm all charts in South Korea and have longevity

then you can expect big sales boost with the next comeback + next song will chart well just because people will be interested
    "they are back? damn I need to check their new song asap"

so then you can have like 3 releases per year, not all of them need to be top-level, but you will still maintain popularity if after two weaker charting / less interesting but nicely charting songs you will release another bop.

+ hard work pays off especially in terms of spoiling ifans with content, best example is Dreamcatcher, they are working hard as fvck, and even when they ain't from big label, and with making music which isn't most loved in South Korea their sales skyrocketed because people love that they are consistent, and that they will bring quality to the table, even if one single might be better than two next ones still... people just want new music.

Another example is that I'm recently much into woo!ah! which released 3 MV's since 24th November 2020 :), didn't like Bad Girl that much but I don't miss U, and Round & Round are great!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There's pro and con, but who to say that the songs left in the draft wouldn't be hits? Or the songs going out there even though the producer thinks it may not be a hit wouldn't be still one?

* * * * * * •×• * * * * * *

• BP will not flop - Ice Cream wasn't exactly prize-worthy and still did very well - and the advantage to work with a group that is almost guaranteed to be successful no matter what they release is that you have more freedom, more oxygen to try new things, experiment, and yes, to make mistakes and make bad songs sometimes.

Every artist make bad songs. It's fine.

Being allowed to make mistakes in this industry is a luxury that the Pinks should be able to afford. I really don't like this glass cage that YG is putting them in, as if any misteps could destroy their popularity and their 'image'.

• It makes sense for a producer's POV. A producer can't work on that many songs and keep the quality. I can't disagree with this.

However, it's not necessarily true for a group. A group can work with multiple producers and keep the quality. I'd say there is a happy middle ground.

Too slow of releases is usually missed opportunities. Too many will have diminishing returns.

• I think BP strategy is to build the best possible first impression of the group. Normal person that is not kpop fan, need to have the best possible first impression. Otherwise they will not check anymore than that one song from the artist. But if the first song is addictive, people will check second song as well. If the second is good as well, people may check rest remaining MVs as well. Especially tittle tracks need to be catchy.

• I'm all about quality here, so instead of releasing rushed and half-assed music, I prefer my artists to process the music they make and come back with something good.

If that means we get 2 comebacks a year, that's good.

I prefer it to getting 15734 comebacks where I hate most of the content and like just one song or sth.

☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️

82c353870ef7fcc4f1a65e25a79150e5ffc6d555.gifv

• a flawless discography with fewer songs is better than releasing a ton of songs and having some be "flops"

maybe not as few as blackpink though, they're a special case because any other group would've straight flopped with the long ass hiatuses they've had through the years

• This whole less music thing is a gimmick that’s all, songs like Ice Cream or Crazy Over You are not high standard music but definitely bottom of the barrel work in BP beautiful discography. Though it whatever. Now we are getting solos so THR next year or two will be music filled and he’ll be forced to release more content.

Though I was say I do Like Ice Cream it’s a fun song to listen to but it not a song that comes to mind when you think of High quality.

• i can definitely think of a few groups who released a couple of less than stellar songs in a row and who seem to have lost a lot of momentum. i actually think less is more is true for most ggs that rely typically more on casual fans and that bgs should keep churning out songs to get the fandom growing.

just what i've observed.

• I prefer quality release over rush release.

For example, twice released way too much in certain years and we can clearly see the drop in quality + gradual lose of interest. But of course, it worked to keep themselves in gp eyes. Red velvet also did the same and throw out many songs hoping for a hit and luckily few songs managed to stick to gp like Bad boy and Psycho, others did not do as good.

On the contrary, im also not a big fan of long hiatus between releases. 1 year 1 comeback is too little, especially when only title track is promoted. Blacklink can afford thst because they have the hype with them, else they could have easily being overtaken by other groups.

So, need to strike a balance. I find that Gidle release schedule is quite good. Thats why they are increasing popularity cause they release quality bops while keeping a comfort period between comebacks.

• More music in the beginning then as you continue your career less music

The first is the shotgun approach where you hope that something hits - one of songs captures the public's attention enough to give you a chance the next time.

Later on in your career once you've established a fanbase/following/GP's attention then you can slow down your music releases or release music more personal to you.

Note: the above does not apply if you come from the Big4

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!