Speculation about Spring Day on the charts

• So a month ago, Spring Day officially hit 5 years of consecutive charting. It became the longest charting song in Melon history in August 2019.

Watch how Spring Day rises and falls in this video; the video starts when it's released.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Fun fact: it didn't hit its lowest rank on Gaon until week 255!

Now what has caused this? It's frankly the biggest anomaly I've seen in my time observing Korean charts. It's clearly a favorite of K-ARMYs, but that alone can't keep a song on the chart, and they have included it in streaming playlists in the past (and the Love Yourself era kept BTS on the charts in 2018 to an absurd degree).

But I was actually very surprised to see it had a fairly normal charting pattern until DNA released, it got a huge boost which corresponded with BTS blowing up with HER era.

One thing that's glaringly obvious by its charting pattern is that it's a spring song, the word for spring is (which easily influences search trends). Seasonal songs of any kind (Xmas, summer, spring, fall, snow, even rain) all benefit from Korean listening habits that reflect the weather.

Right now actually, spring songs are rapidly climbing charts since it's early March and they'll stick around until around late April. That also explains why it's experienced huge jumps for the past 2 years in spring time (TEAR was May 2018 and PERSONA was April 2019, didn't really effect Spring Day much).

Another thing is that Spring Day was written with the Sewol Ferry tragedy in mind. (Link here for more info: https://www.reddit.com/r/kpopt…_time_that_spring_day_is/). That would definitely influence the Korean public about BTS' image and artistry.

But what about the time in between comebacks and it's not spring? Spring Day for the past month has been above another BTS mega-hit, Boy with Luv. There was no single to help boost it and there is no comeback album on the horizon. The fact that it took Spring Day nearly 5 years to reach its lowest rank is mind-blowing. Do you all have any thoughts?

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• It’s the spirits of the deceased children from Sewol ferry incident that kept Spring Day alive all these years.. so people to remember them by

(I don’t necessary believe this but it has the same credibility as some that think army alone is keeping Spring Day (not BST, not DNA) alive on the charts)

Not really something I found funny or appropriate, definitely not equivalent to some people just shitting on BTS

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• It's a good song. That's it. Just good and everyone listening to it agrees. It also sounds a bit nostalgic but I don't know if that's just me

It's a good song but many good songs never experience this kind of run. The closest thing that's happened in US (where I live) is Blinding Lights (90 weeks).

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• It's classic. BTS knew what they were doing when they chose this as the title track over a hype, hard-hitting dance song that is Not Today.

It's just really beautiful, even ex-armys and non-fans would say it is.

I don't think I'm getting the response I want, maybe because I'm not asking the right question.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• It became a nation’s song at this point.

It’s a very good song melodically and lyrically. It evokes certain feelings that can universally be related to.

• Spring day may be about spring or a memento for the sewol ferry but the song is more about missing someone, who could be alive or dead. I think more people listen to it not just because it’s a good song but it’s also a great way to remember someone. Everyday people miss people and I don’t think this reason depends on seasons or comebacks.

So my conclusion is that people like Spring Day for the essence of the song itself

• Well spring day seems like an outlier to me just like BTS. So i think you'll get an answer to this question as soon as we get an answer to- Why BTS? And why not other groups :teeheek:

• there are songs like that which hold a greater meaning for the public so they always stay on the charts

For eg. for my country, its devotional songs

They have been released years ago but because they are used for religious prayers, the songs still trend on youtube from time to time

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!