Aespa and now NMIXX. Is ChaosPop (or maybe KaosPop) the first uniquely Kpop genre?

• NMIXX is, unsurprisingly, continuing the current kpop trend towards chaos-pop recently popularized by Aespa: pop music designed to continually surprise the listener by switching up the sound, at the cost of coherency.

All previous kpop was basically a mix of different styles started outside of Korea, but this new style of pop seems uniquely Korean (mixing sounds repeatedly and dramatically within a single song - not just at the drop). Electronic music has done stuff similar to this for a long time, but I've never heard anything quite like this in pop.

I Got a Boy (SM vocal drop), Come Back Home (Teddy drop) and then Bang Bang Bang (Teddy drop, and a big switch at the end) did something kinda similar , but even that was much less extreme than this new stuff. It's like SM and now JYP are taking the direction that SM and Teddy was going in the last decade and going even further with it.

All genres start as a mix of existing genres. The sound mutates as more artists experiment with it, eventually becoming different enough from the influences that it becomes a new genre.

Basically, I'm saying that O.O is a mutant that seems to be leading to a new genre, but it isn't quite there yet.

So the thread doesn't get derailed, my point isn't about who started moving in this direction. The point is that if they keep going further in this direction it is arguably a new, and uniquely kpop, genre.

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

Edited 11 times, last by hammerstan ().

• let me put it down another way

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• let me put it down another way

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Yes, another good early example.

But all these previous examples are clearly structured (SM vocal breaks, Teddy drops) in a way that isn't different enough to be considered a separate genre. Bang Bang Bang is the closest with the complete shift at the end of the song in addition to the drop. This new stuff shifts more dramatically and more often in a way that is hard to predict.

• Come Back Home (big switch at the drop) and then Bang Bang Bang (big switch at the drop, and also at the end) did something kinda similar , but even that was much less extreme than this new stuff. It's like SM and now JYP are taking the direction that Teddy was going in last decade and going even further with it.

But I got a boy was released before even Teddy start doing it '-'

and they were doing this experimental things with f(x) too

Sm have always been very consistant with this type of sound

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• Doesn't this song also have that kind of weird shift at 2:50? And it's from 2005 or something.

• It’s not unique. Sm has been doing it forever with fx, red velvet and now aespa. Itzy has also hopped on the trend a little bit.

My point isn't about who started moving in this direction. The point is that if they keep going further in this direction it's being pushed to the point that it is arguably a new, and uniquely kpop, genre.

• My point isn't about who started moving in this direction. The point is that if they keep going further in this direction it's being pushed to the point that it is arguably a new, and uniquely kpop, genre.

I do see it being a very big trend already and one could already call it "a genre". I wonder how many other groups are going to hop onto this as well. But yes, I see your point

• don't compare aespa to nmixx, nmixx genre is just stealing from SM and aespa. I would call NMIXX chaos pop but not aespa as their other songs do not sound like that, but apparently, JYP will make this terrible sound continuous for NMIXX. NMIXX and SM groups are not on the same level quality-wise, SM is like that one aunt you have that always gives you money anytime you see her, and JYP is like that one cousin you have that always asks you if you have games on your phone and then proceed to take your phone and download 50 games on it that you have to manually delete one by one.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!