Suda Masaki delivers questionable remarks against Korean romance drama portraying characters in their 30s

• Hometheqoo[theqoo] "KOREAN ACTORS ARE NARCISSISTS" KOREA HATE, INFERIORITY COMPLEX, CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT

[theqoo] "KOREAN ACTORS ARE NARCISSISTS" KOREA HATE, INFERIORITY COMPLEX, CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT

bypannchoaFebruary 21, 2022
    AVvXsEihGRj82w6eSYl-DKrTae_GmaLuTbV3Iv0WAcP2zzLyKI3zLbcAgJRqD_WfL4gFAQZJSMt1XOX0m_oggqYgf8t3oEkTnS5TB7X7OorJYGA6KnIsvbiQ7sA0Kb729F6WlmC5PzJ07QZFaP7lrTAMTqgMwdhuRYcn6yx1wXvyPrc-h3am13EMVzB28Clj=s16000

AVvXsEhdJ5u-sRgPoWmwxwVZp7tWtDRkyjrKTuAgKRvfCf14omuihzSwYT9KG1PQWfe-teW-9vGVGdRcn1QZACIwmZdjDnF_QhLP84mhiAwfIXwY25V2tlfj64qxDuKUlDxcxU2hjfiivy5ZfCV_GnS7vAtCKu_4WVZ2_h_pIVGLWISXXhC4hlKd84a8REul=s16000

Masaki Suda and actor Takayuki Yamada appeared on Fuji TV's 'Matsumo to Nakai Matching Night' on the 19th and talked about the differences between Japanese and Korean dramas.

On this day's broadcast, the host Masahiro Nakai asked the question, "Why is Japan lagging behind Korean dramas and movies?" Takayuki Yamada replied, "I don't think the Japanese staff and cast are at a low level compared to Korea."

Next, Nakai asked, "Japanese women like all Korean love stories, why do you think they refuse to watch Japanese love stories?"

Suda said, "Personally, what I find impressive is the fact that they're even telling a compelling love story. Actors in their mid-30s are facing a love story with all their power. Whether it's good or bad is beside the point. What I feel is embarrassment and humiliation... It doesn't feel flirtatious, rather it feels like they're trying to say "You want to see this right?" they give me a sense of narcissism.".

He continued to demean Korean dramas by saying "They give me the impression that they're doing this properly so they can gain fans, to make them feel like Asian stars."

source: https://www.wikitree.co.kr/articles/733533

original post: here

1. Where is the flower boy? Ah because the standard is so low over there, they consider him a flower boy? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

2. Seriously if I had a face like his, I wouldn't dare to say anything about our country

3. Looks like Japan considers anyone with a bit of individuality a "flower boy"

4. What happened with Japan?
    I'm a granny fan and in the past, we had people like Yutaka Takenouchi, Takashi Sorimachi and Naohito Fujiki who were so handsome in Japanese dramasㅜㅜ Now we have people like him and they're considered flower boys?

5. His visuals isn't the focus here. Having a mindset like his in Korea will hardly allow him to debut. Tsk tsk

6. Personally, it feels like he's saying he's not looking forward to any romance in his 30s anymore so the fact he's seeing quality dramas done by other people in their 30s make his inferiority complex show....
    Actors in their 30s usually act people in their 20s-30s in romance dramas, if you want people to relate to the characters and get immersed in the stories, of course you need to make the dramas wellㅋㅋ
    All I'm saying is that quality is a key factor.. You can't sway people with teens and school romance dramas anymore, so you need to find something that will appeal to the adultsㅋㅋㅋ
    But there are barely any works that are able to achieve that... You need a strong drama production industry as well as a good agency to make it happen

That's why aside from Korea in Asia, if you look at other romance stories, they all seem kinda childish and you find a bunch of those school romance stories and nothing else.

7. No but I'm not in the position to say who is good at acting and who isn't but why does he have a prejudice against people in their 30s in a romance? Isn't this kind of mindset a bit narrow-minded coming from an actor like himself? If romance isn't his type, he can skip them, but why does he comment on people who want to act in them?

8. Inferiority complex

9. I watched the video of him saying that in the hot category yesterday and how to put this... He looks like a complete loser exploding with inferiority complex when he said it.

10. This guy isn't even considered a flower boy in Japan eitherㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ He's just way too unique lookingㅋㅋㅋㅋ And I always thought he was a good actor but when I watched him, he's not that great either.... It makes me wonder if he's even in a position to judge other people's acting

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Yikes dude. What the hell? Why would you say something like that?

That's very insulting. Like, I get that it's your opinion, but it is a very STRONG opinion. I have watched both Japanese and Korean dramas, and...yeah, maybe I was not watching the right Japanese dramas because the ones I have seen are generally kind of corny and look kind of fake. Just like K-dramas, but I enjoy both because...it's television. :wellr:

LOL, at the comments trying to come for his looks though. Sure, he might not have the perfected looks that Korean actors are groomed to have, but I think he is very handsome even still.

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• The main problem with the Japanese dramas/films I've seen is that the acting tends to be a bit over the top and exaggerated especially compared to Korean dramas/films which tends to be more closer to a grounded approach (for lack of a better word).

I certainly think that like a lot of media in most countries, programs are probably more aimed at a male audience in general. Maybe the fact that character's interpersonal relationships (both platonic and romantic) seem to drive so many Korean dramas makes it more appealing to Japanese women. :wellr:

• The main problem with the Japanese dramas/films I've seen is that the acting tends to be a bit over the top and exaggerated especially compared to Korean dramas/films which tends to be more closer to a grounded (for lack of a better word).

I certainly think that like a lot of media in most countries, programs are probably more aimed at a male audience in general. Maybe the fact that character's interpersonal relationships (both platonic and romantic) seem to drive so many Korean dramas makes it more appealing to Japanese women. :wellr:

I actually disagree.

I feel like most love/romance stories are general marketed more towards women. Especially the romance Japanese dramas I have watched. 80% have been based on shojo manga written by female mangaka.

• Idg what does he mean with the age of the characters

Bc he will be old too, unless he dies before turning 30

I think it's something like he thinks that they are too serious? He said it's not flirtatious. So, maybe he means that the relationships are very straightforward and proper rather than playful.

But, yeah, I didn't really get it either. :pepepizza:

• Eh, Feels like way too much is lost in translation here, from japanese, to korean (probably with a certain agenda) and then translated again to english to top it of.

Also kinda ironic that most of the comments are about his looks

• To be honest I didn't understand what he meant? What's wrong with 30-year-old actors acting in romantic dramas? The age of marriage is increasing all over the world, and naturally, romantic dramas between characters around 30 are also on the rise.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• Korean media in general improved their quality alot over the past 2 decades. Their global popularity didn't came out of nowhere.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I personally agree with the seventh comment under the article a lot. They said almost exactly what I was thinking. Also, I understand why some people might take issue with what he said, that's reasonable, but I don't think the comments (on the article) insulting his looks were the right way to go. Call out what he said and why it's wrong (or not, depending on your perspective), not bring his looks into this out of nowhere. I don't think I look all that great, so if I said something and all people did was insult my appearance instead of reply to what I said, I'd be pretty rightfully annoyed, to say the least. Have a great day/night!

• is he wrong though

the comments prove he is right

im not a fan of japanese dramas either so yeah maybe dude shouldnt be pointing fingers

but he very precisely explained the appeal of kdramas

the fancy over-the-top people in power doing stuff that everyday people much younger in age and less fortunate in life fantasize about.......that IS one of the things that many many kdrama fans like

they wouldnt say it outright but the kind of reasons they fanboy/fangirl over actors/actresses usually give it away pretty clearly

edit : to be clear, i wasnt referring to age as one of the factors here

age is not really what he should have targetted but the kinds of things that come with age do help kdramas a lot

which is also a reason high school is a popular theme in a lot of media

cause you can show the power dynamic while not having age be a factor

but for adults, age comes with huge power

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• One thing I hate about J-drama is the main character that always speaks whisperingly.

I liked K-drama "Mother" a lot so, I tried watching the original J version. The female lead in J version always spoke whisperingly that made me feel like she had psychological disorder. I could not bear to finish 2nd episode and dropped it there. Unfortunately, it was not the only J-drama of a main character speaking that way.

Also, these days, they are rarely any J drama on the love story of those in working age, late 20's to 30's, that does not focus on cheating/adultery.

What's wrong with you?

He outright criticized the Korean for producing many romantic dramas about characters in their 30's Yet, you commented he was right talking about the Korean overproducing high school love stories.

• What's wrong with you?

He outright criticized the Korean for producing many romantic dramas about characters in their 30's Yet, you commented he was right talking about the Korean overproducing high school love stories.

if you can see my edit : I clearly didnt notice his comment targetted age specifically

i was talking more about the selling power/fantasy addiction to audiences part

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• Eh, Feels like way too much is lost in translation here, from japanese, to korean (probably with a certain agenda) and then translated again to english to top it of.

Also kinda ironic that most of the comments are about his looks

Because of the way this was worded about how he seems to talk down to and demean the other actors especially those in they're 30s so they attacked his looks basically a people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones a how can u talk shit when you don't measure up to half of those people in the looks and acting department

• I don't understand anything he said

I think what he's saying is that korean dramas feed into the fantasies of people and not actually tell real stories. He's implying that that's something to be embarrassed about....where catering to your audience blindly produces low quality work.

that's what i understood.

But anyway i disagreed with his first point itself where he said Japanese drama staff and crew are not less than korean in quality. They are. That's why no one watches jdrama as much.

• I think what he's saying is that korean dramas feed into the fantasies of people and not actually tell real stories. He's implying that that's something to be embarrassed about....where catering to your audience blindly produces low quality work.

But anyway i disagreed with his first point itself where he said Japanese drama staff and crew are not less than korean in quality. They are. That's why no one watches jdrama as much.

He is really brave for saying stuff like this when you have a tons of fanservice dramas with poor actors and actresses in Japan. As someone who watched both Kdrama and JDrama, I can wholeheartedly say that Japanese Dramas are usually the ones trying to do excessive fans-service and have poor acting.

• I think what he's saying is that korean dramas feed into the fantasies of people and not actually tell real stories. He's implying that that's something to be embarrassed about....where catering to your audience blindly produces low quality work.

Oh well, that's an opinion I guess.

But I agree with you, their dramas (and music videos) look.... washed out? I never felt the urge to watch a Japanese drama because of how outdated the image quality looks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!