Who are currently the digital top groups in South Korea?

• Now that we're fully in 4th gen times, things have started to change. Some 3rd gen groups have disbanded or left their company, some have lost members, new groups have debuted and made their marks, summarily, the K-pop scene is undergoing changes once again.

But how much? Like who are the digital top groups in South Korea these days, which groups rule the Korean charts?

Based on Gaon's results of the past 1-2 years, I'd say the current ranking goes something like this:

1. BTS

2. Blackpink

3. Brave Girls

4-5. Aespa / Oh My Girl

6. Red Velvet

7. STAYC

8. TWICE

9. Mamamoo

Did I miss some groups? I couldn't see any boygroups besides BTS that had a good digital performance, but maybe NCT Dream on 10?

Do you agree with the list? And how do you expect it to change this year?

Note: after reviewing various comments and arguments in the thread and revisiting Gaon, I changed the ranking to a what I think more accurate description of the real situation:

1. BTS

2-3. Aespa / Blackpink

4. Oh My Girl

5. Brave Girls

6. Red Velvet

7. STAYC

8. TWICE

9. ITZY

(10. IVE?)

Reasoning behind this is described in this post of page 3:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Edited 3 times, last by FoReveries ().

• I think you're mostly right. The obvious choices currently are:

BTS

Blackpink

aespa

Oh My Girl

Brave Girls (at least until we see how their next single performs)

STAYC

all those groups released singles that finished in the top 50 (and actually top 30) on the Gaon Year-End Chart. If you want to include Twice (Alcohol-Free finished #68) and Red Velvet (Queendom at #87 (and Joy's Hello at #72)), then I wouldn't argue. Both of those groups have really famous brands so I think they at least still have the chance of hits down the line.

The interesting one is Itzy. Itzy's MITM finished at #92 for the year, which I think is disappointing for them but for most 4th gen groups it'd be a huge success, so I think it's fair to at least consider Itzy a relevant group digitally, certainly moreso than any NCT unit.

• I already had the feeling I was forgetting some groups. ITZY are indeed the obvious choice for #10, they did better than any boy groups.

I checked Gaon's Year-End charts for 2020 and 2021 for a better overview, and since some groups didn't have a comeback in 2021.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• :whatb:

Even Brave Girls is mid performance to you?

Rollin was a miracle. We ride shot up because of it. Cmbr did no better than alcohol free and queendom. If anything it was disappointing. Yeah you could say we should wait for one more comeback but will they have the hype to get a hit again either?

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• BTS, BP, OMG, aespa are a top currently, pretty much guaranteed top 10

TWICE, Brave Girls, ITZY, Red Velvet, Mamamoo I would say are a gray area currently, but I don't think we should count them out it yet, because they sure have their base. And they are the best performing groups after the top 4

STAYC and I'VE need more time to really say if they are top digital groups though definitely contenders

♢ BTS ♢ RED VELVET ♢ STAYC ♢ ITZY ♢ I'VE ♢ 

bf8564d98af24361d0590896c941048f9c781516.gifv 113c3e0e8e47532a0f6e02950f2765764a166a8c.gifv ea538e39aff2514e678056be42c87abdbaefb377.gifv

• in no particular order

BTS, Blackpink, Aespa, OMG

it's the only groups i can think recently with all their recent songs proved that they can always enter the top 10

Brave girls few months ago but their latest comeback didn't do well, cmbr didn't do as well and quickly left the top 10 , and the comeback they did after with their repack charted badly

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• BTS, BP, OMG, aespa are a top currently, pretty much guaranteed top 10

TWICE, Brave Girls, ITZY, Red Velvet, Mamamoo I would say are a gray area currently, but I don't think we should count them out it yet, because they sure have their base. And they are the best performing groups after the top 4

STAYC and I'VE need more time to really say if they are top digital groups though definitely contenders

BTS, BP, OMG and Aespa seem to be the top digital performers right now.

Brave Girls had a great hype in 2021, but it has faded somewhat with their latest comebacks.

Same for the other groups like TWICE, ITZY, RV and Mamamoo, who did less well in 2021 with their last comebacks, certainly compared with the top 4 digital performers. Their results at the end of 2020 were pretty good though, RV at #9 on Gaon's Year-End chart, Mamamoo at #29, ITZY at #53 and TWICE at #64.

I agree with STAYC and IVE, both could become the next serious contenders, IVE have had a great start with their debut and STAYC have a super composer who has already helped them with ASAP and who has enough potential to rocket launch their next comebacks.

IVE could be a contender as well.

Agreed.

I wasn't aware that BG had done that badly with their last comeback.

That isn't promising for their next comeback, if the hype has faded. I hope for them that their next comeback will be successful.

SWJ1P.gif

• 1. BTS

2. BLACKPINK

3/4. Oh My Girl/Brave Girls

5. aespa

-----WALL----

6. Red Velvet

7. TWICE

8. STAYC

9. ITZY

10. SEVENTEEN

Mamamoo fell off, they're no longer top 10. NCT Dream didn't blow up until this year, so SEVENTEEN rounds out the top 10.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Edited 2 times, last by MassiveKpopFan ().

• you’d put brave girls above aespa? :eyes:

Yes, purely because of Rollin and We Ride. I know ChiMatBaRam was average and After We Ride flopped, but Brave Girls still has more overall digital points than aespa and both blew up last year. aespa should very well take BG's spot this year seeing how well Dreams Come True is doing.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• No.

BTS in 2021 - 3.9B

aespa in 2021 - 1.1B

fresh-prince.gif

That includes fandom streamed B sides and ancient songs from 2020 and even earlier lol. Just look at recent singles since the question is about CURRENT digimons.

Next Level defeated Butter and PTD easily and is still top 20.

Savage easily outcharted MU which might be out of top 50 already.

Cover song reached top 10 on MElon.

Collab song now top 5 on Melon.

• Rollin was a miracle. We ride shot up because of it. Cmbr did no better than alcohol free and queendom. If anything it was disappointing. Yeah you could say we should wait for one more comeback but will they have the hype to get a hit again either?

The fact that you are comparing queendom and alcohol free charting just shows how ignorant your comments are lmao

• /thread

• Just look at recent singles since the question is about CURRENT digimons.

Changing the meaning of the term, so more lying. "Digimon" just means an act that charts consistently well. There was no stipulation of only recent songs being included in the criteria.

Next Level defeated Butter and PTD easily and is still top 20.

Savage easily outcharted MU which might be out of top 50 already.

Cover song reached top 10 on MElon.

Collab song now top 5 on Melon.

1. none of the b-sides from BE even made the year end chart, so that argument's out.

2. Next Level wasn't competition to PTD and only you, a success stan, thinks in terms of battle between fucking songs.

3. My Universe came out more than a week before Savage, they're not competition either.

4. Good for aespa, Dreams Come True is charting like a single.

5. Step Back isn't aespa's song, doesn't count toward their performance as a group.

aespa's first 10 songs (Black Mamba, Forever, Next Level. Savage EP, Dreams Come True) = 1,302,244,586 (9 songs; Forever didn't chart)

BTS's last 10 songs (Butter, PTD, My Universe, BE minus Dynamite) = 2,243,042,308

since you're all about "recency bias" there you go.

The fact that you are comparing queendom and alcohol free charting just shows how ignorant your comments are lmao

Actually they're similar. Queendom has a little more longevity, but they both peaked in the top 10 and are summer hits.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Edited 4 times, last by MassiveKpopFan ().

• The fact that you are comparing queendom and alcohol free charting just shows how ignorant your comments are lmao

How different is it and why won't it be compared? The only advantage af has is in having more gaon points in the same weeks. Queendoom has already outlasted in longevity. They'll end up around the similar numbers. Maybe it's u who is ignorant? Don't know the charting? If u don't ,don't qoute.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• The fact that you are comparing queendom and alcohol free charting just shows how ignorant your comments are lmao

Queendoom, Alcohol-free and CMBR are all similar level hits. Alcohol free and queendom have similar peak at 22M points, currently quite similar in longetivity. CMBR had the biggest peak but the worst longetivity. All 3 will end up as ard 300M+ digital points. All 3 are pretty sub-standard compared the biggest songs the groups had

Edited 2 times, last by z1 ().

• Next Level outcharted everyone. Savage will end up third, it's already outcharting MU and will catch up to PTD as well, it's gaining millions of points every week on PTD which is like 45 right now.

1. NL

2. Butter

3. Savage

4. PTD

5. Dreams

6. MU

Also, if Armys are gonna take credit for Savage Love when BTS was only a featured guest on the song, then Aespa should definitely get credit for GOT.

• Interesting. What metric did you give preference, total accumulated digital points over the given time period?

Also, it feels a bit harsh towards Mamamoo. Their last group comeback may have bombed, but their comebacks before that were kinda alright?

There are several approaches that can be utilised:

- total accumulated digital points 2020-2021 per group => but this will advantage the groups that have had a lot of comebacks

- avg dp per song (per group) => same as above, but divided per song. Although this will still advantage songs that have been able to chart longer

- digital points of the first 4/8 weeks after release => this takes longevity less into account, plus might be time consuming to generate

- use of relative ranking instead of digital points => this would negate any obscure algorithm changes that Gaon's prone to implement from time to time

Depending on what's given focus, I feel like 3-5 might switch roles (but those would be close and interchangeable in any given situation, depending on focus), and I'm not sure about STAYC: they did rank #28 on the Year-End chart with ASAP, but they're also fairly new and their follow up song did less well.

SWJ1P.gif

• Next Level outcharted everyone. Savage will end up third, it's already outcharting MU and will catch up to PTD as well, it's gaining millions of points every week on PTD which is like 45 right now.

Every song is gaining at least a million points on the chart, dumbass point.

Also, if Armys are gonna take credit for Savage Love when BTS was only a featured guest on the song, then Aespa should definitely get credit for GOT.

Aespa's name: not there

pasted-from-clipboard.png

BTS: credited by name

pasted-from-clipboard.png

You're reaching for such straws

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• stop setting up my girls

:pepe-life-support:

mys literally don't gaf it's always the non-fans barking

• anyway

I agree with this list with the exception of STAYC. ASAP was their only notable hit & STEREOTYPE failed to live up to the hype. It didn't totally flop but it def did worse than most people expected. I think we should give them more time & I don't think they should be put in the same sentence as the likes of OMG, aespa, etc, etc who have several huge hit songs & are actually consistent.

• stop setting up my girls

:pepe-life-support:

mys literally don't gaf it's always the non-fans barking

My list is based on pure facts doe. Can anyone seriously dispute my ranking? NL outcharted Butter. Savage easily outcharted MU and had higher peaks than PTD and will surpass it on Gaon points eventually. And Armys ALWAYS be taking credit for Savage Love Remix when their boys were only literally GUESTS on the track, which means Aespa should get credit for GOT.

• Both literally performed the same. Why are some of y'all trying to make AF seem bigger than it really is

Maybe not entirely the same: Queendom peaked higher (well, 1 position :p :P ) and seems to have better longevity than Alcohol-Free.

Including Chi Mat Ba Ram, that one had the highest peak but the worst longevity of the 3 songs. But yeah, they're all in the same range of 'ok/good' but nowhere near the better performing songs of all 3 groups.

SWJ1P.gif

• My list is based on pure facts doe. Can anyone seriously dispute my ranking? NL outcharted Butter. Savage easily outcharted MU and had higher peaks than PTD and will surpass it on Gaon points eventually. And Armys ALWAYS be taking credit for Savage Love Remix when their boys were only literally GUESTS on the track, which means Aespa should get credit for GOT.

Dynamite did far better than all of them though. You're looking at only 2021 when OP mentioned "last 1-2 years"

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The fact that Aespa only really blew up last year is going to give them a disadvantage. Currently I wouldn't even put them above Oh My Girl yet. Please just.....stop being so fiesty sheesh :cryingr:

• This thread contains 39 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!