[Naver]SM stocks drop after Aespa's Ningning congratulates China on controversial short track gold medal

• aespa

SM stocks drop after Aespa's Ningning congratulates China on controversial short track gold medal

0003171848_001_20220208155501115.jpg

Article: Aespa's Ningning enrages netizens by saying "Happy for China's short track gold medal"

Source: The Joongang via Naver

1. [+12,326, -29] The Chinese are always the same in the end... Go back to your country, China...

2. [+6,364, -16] Please stop putting Chinese kids in our idol groups

3. [+2,725, -52] Start a petition to kick Ningning out of the group. I've been liking Aespa lately but now she's caused me to dislike them.

4. [+2,317, -13] ? Is getting that gold medal something for you to feel happy over? Because I'd be embarrassed if I were you ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+1,485, -19] I understand supporting your home country but at a timing when you're making your money in Korea...

6. [+939, -1] Why the hell does SM keep taking in all these Chinese kids and letting them make money in our country? Do their backs not hurt from being stabbed so much?

7. [+541, -3] If all of your income is coming from Korea, at least have the sense to stay quiet. I wouldn't even care if she shared this on Weibo but she posted this on a Korean platform that her fans pay money to read ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

8. [+406, -0] If the gold medal was earned fair and square, then she has every right to support them. However, the medal is under a lot of controversies right now and it's inconsiderate of her to publicly support something that might've basically been stolen.

9. [+323, -1] SM is a fool. Another Chinese member after being backstabbed so many times from Super Junior and EXO already. Pffft.

10. [+320, -0] We need to start boycotting any group with Chinese members in them now. I'd rather give those opportunities to more Korean kids.

20220208000614_0_20220208140102474.jpg

Article: Aespa Ningning's SNS statement, fanning a house on fire

Source: Herald Economy via Naver

1. [+3,813, -33] You cannot hide blood! I will be voting for the next candidate who promises to kick all of these Korean-Chinese out from our country.

2. [+3,194, -42] Why do you think BTS and Black Pink are so famous all over the world~ because they don't have a Chinese member. I refuse to listen to any group with a Chinese member in them anymore.

3. [+1,370, -16] Ningning is already infamous for putting down Korean culture in China in favor of Chinese culture

4. [+1,128, -12] I can't tell if she's just senseless or foolish. Of all the Chinese celebrities we've seen in Korea so far, I think it's the latter. Please just take after the seniors before you who've run away back to China and go make your money there.

5. [+959, -5] Lee Soo Man at it again...

6. [+413, -2] Even a world star group like BTS has no Chinese member so why are groups still adding Chinese members anymore? At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if China started claiming that they created K-Pop too. Japanese members may be fine but there's really no point in having Chinese members anymore, is there? If anything, the world is just going to be more turned off by it.

7. [+291, -0] This is all a big plan. Show support for China, get media headlines back home about how she's so patriotic, go back to China, her contract be damned, and start talking about "oh, life was so hard in Korea, China is the best" and become the new most popular idol

8. [+239, -1] And that's bye bye to Aespa for me... farewell

9. [+157, -1] SM has really changed nothing since being betrayed by their Chinese idols after all this time

10. [+136, -1] Her brain is truly next level

20220208000613_0_20220208140102462.jpg

Article: SM stocks drop at Aespa Ningning's China gold medal congratulations

Source: Everyday Economy via Naver

1. [+3,809, -21] Yes, be happy all you want. But also know that you should be embarrassed too.

2. [+2,048, -13] If you like China so much, go make your money and live there

3. [+1,649, -9] SM needs to get hate for this too. They need to stop creating idol groups with useless Chinese members. Do they not realize that public sentiment is heavily against China? They're stealing our culture, putting it down, and backstabbing us. Do you still really want to take in more Chinese idols to train?

4. [+1,263, -35] No more Chinese idols~~

5. [+847, -8] Are the Chinese not able to feel the emotion of embarrassment?

6. [+342, -0] At this point, SM has a serious mental illness. They get backstabbed by Chinese idols so much but keep adding them again and again. There's something mentally wrong there.

7. [+141, -3] All the Chinese idols ever do is come here to suck up all the money, then take it all back to their country and talk crap about Korea. Please stop bringing them in.

8. [+126, -1] And this is why I don't care for any idol group with Chinese members in them

• Source: Naver

1. [+5,735, -48] Ningning can screw off back to China. Never step foot on our land again...

2. [+3,271, -12] What is SM's stubborn reason for adding Chinese members all the time?

3. [+1,132, -15] Imagine how little she thinks of our country... Chinese kids are always the same. They get successful here then run off back to China to talk crap about Korea and make more money off of that. It has happened time and time again so why do we keep adding them to groups...

4. [+721, -6] No more Chinese idols. I hate the CCP.

5. [+234, -1] It's fine for her to be happy over her home country winning a gold medal... but that medal was not fairly won. She should be embarrassed. If her income is dependent on K-pop, she should at least have the sense to stay quiet.

6. [+180, -1] I find SM more problematic than her

7. [+101, -2] Why can't SM make groups with only Korean members like BTS?

8. [+87, -0] Boy groups or girl groups, no more Chinese members. They are of no help at all.

• I mean, the medal really wasn't fairly won so I can't imagine congratulating somebody on their unfair win so this was a stupid move on her part and I say that as a NN bias but the reaction towards her is pure xenophobia, 12k upvotes? The vitriol in the comments?

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.

• I mean, the medal really wasn't fairly won so I can't imagine congratulating somebody on their unfair win so this was a stupid move on her part and I say that as a NN bias but the reaction towards her is pure xenophobia, 12k upvotes? The vitriol in the comments?

the medal was fairly won this message was made days before the controversy

she did not comment on the controversial medal

she had commented after china's first gold medal, that one was not controversial i believe

its such an unfortunate situation for her

• ok political tension or bad past is one thing

but doesn't those comments show how big complex Korean people have?

I get that they should love their country and express it

but in same time that hatred towards countries which are basically their neighbours are just... yikes

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• These crusty k-nets hate China and are giant opportunists wbk,but when you also add the sports component it's bound to be a mess

I feel really bad for her,hopefully this doesn't affect her too much.

• South Korean citizens living in other countries aren't allowed to cheer for Korea. You have to cheer for whatever country you live and work in. You heard it straight from knetz. Don't you dare make money in another country and still support your home country!

Her message was basically "oh I heard we won our first gold congrats" just like the 80% of the world that is only half paying attention to the Olympics does.

• Gonna copy what i said about this situation

Her bubble is being used way out of context. She's not a psychic that can predict the future for god sake, how would she knew there will be controversy 2 days after she sent her bubble. Then again even if this controversy didn't happen, her being happy for her country athletes' achievement would also be taken out of context. Even if she's staying silent she would (and already is) being dragged simply for being Chinese.

I would understand if knets are mad if what she said is about politics (i think not just koreans but everyone will be sensitive about china politics), but it's not the case at all here. She's simply happy and congratulates athletes that represent her country, even praise and cheer all athletes from other countries too.

• Sports are a lot more widely beloved in Korea than music or TV. Learn this the hard way when BP got slammed for being late to some thing with some athlete. Normally I'd say this would pass but she's Chinese and this is probably gonna add to the "backstabbing Chinese" narrative. I hope this doesn't become a major thing. Aespa was doing so well and Ning was getting so popular

She sent that bubble 2 days before the controversy happen, it'a congratulary for a totally different gold medal. She also praised and cheered for all the athletes from other countries.

• Foreign members suffering xenophobia, wow, so new.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Sports are a lot more widely beloved in Korea than music or TV. Learn this the hard way when BP got slammed for being late to some thing with some athlete. Normally I'd say this would pass but she's Chinese and this is probably gonna add to the "backstabbing Chinese" narrative. I hope this doesn't become a major thing. Aespa was doing so well and Ning was getting so popular

Same, BP had 10k upvotes for that and the thing of jisoo and the soccer player got a lot of upvotes too

I don't rmemeber how the late thing was clarified by for the other one YG put a stament and it pass but nothing was really related to their nationality like in this case so it's kinda icky, but then again sm always have this issue bc they have a lot of Chinese idols, they will probably just ignore it and nn will post less or not post for a while

• Poor girl. I can understand pann/theqoo fangirls twisting the facts but it's disgraceful that journalists can't even differentiate when the message was sent and when the controversial gold medal happened.

As someone who is NN biased am surprised you don't know that her message was days before the controversy... So no it wasn't a stupid move on her part.

• I can't believe stocks are actually dropping over this. Normally I'd think this is just a random scandal with no real world consequences outside pressed netizens and articles. 12k upvotes though

• people take any chance they can get to pick on a person cant they?

im from the US and im still rooting for South Korea :suure:

• it's really hateful for them to twist her words like that as if she's supporting the controversy that happen right now. She sent a really beautiful message that respect every athletes from every countries participating and applauding them for their hardwork. The girl even said that everyone is family on earth.

She said before that she can search her name more than 20 times and i can't imagine what she's feeling knowing that there people twisting what she said and people hating her because of that :pepe-sad:

tumblr_n4lezfrjlZ1tuvbmzo1_400.gifv tumblr_n4lezfrjlZ1tuvbmzo9_250.gifv tumblr_n4lezfrjlZ1tuvbmzo6_400.gifv tumblr_n4lezfrjlZ1tuvbmzo2_400.gifv

Edited 2 times, last by Elbereth ().

• Can someone check if those message screenshot is new or the one she posted 2 days ago before the controversy?

If it was the old one I feel scared for her. Imagine being witch-hunted and hated for something you didn’t even do. And she’s not even home.

But if it’s the new one I can understand the anger. Even then these comments are scary. Public rage aside I feel scare for her . I wonder how her coworkers and people around her feel.

• As someone who is NN biased am surprised you don't know that her message was days before the controversy... So no it wasn't a stupid move on her part.

Um, I've been on a 3 week hiatus from the internet due to my university finals. You're a random internet stranger so you can't know that, but I've stated it many times on this forum, so I had no idea. Thanks for clarifying, but I don't see why this had to be used as a drag towards me and my status as a NingnNing fan for simply not knowing and going based on the information claimed in the OP post.

The Olympics are basically my one getaway atm and the only thing I allow myself to watch because I don't have much time.

She sent that bubble 2 days before the controversy happen, it'a congratulary for a totally different gold medal. She also praised and cheered for all the athletes from other countries.

Thanks for clarifying!

she did not comment on the controversial medal

she had commented after china's first gold medal, that one was not controversial i believe

its such an unfortunate situation for her

Also thanks for clarifying!

the medal was fairly won this message was made days before the controversy

Strong disagree on the fairly won part and thanks for clarifying the other part!

mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.

• ...k-nets haven't changed at all huh, I can get the hate to China's government but how is being happy that your country won at a sport embarrassing? Even if she's working on Korea, what about it? She's still chinese, from chinese family and she grew up there, at this point k-nets are nitpicking anything to hate on China and chinese people.

• Ning Ning has a long future of going through this xenophobia. I'm sorry to say. She does not deserve it.

But, she is in Korea's hottest girl group right now, and Korea is still teeming with xenophobic individuals who hate China.

Similar thing happened to Sana. Even Yiren was attacked, and her group is not nearly as big as Aespa's.

It's unfortunate. It's a lose/lose situation for her. Either show country pride and get attacked by xenophobic K-netz (a small but loud section of the population) or try to conform to Korea, ignore her own upbringing, and possibly anger her Chinese fans as well.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Can someone check if those message screenshot is new or the one she posted 2 days ago before the controversy?

If it was the old one I feel scared for her. Imagine being witch-hunted and hated for something you didn’t even do. And she’s not even home.

But if it’s the new one I can understand the anger. Even then these comments are scary. Public rage aside I feel scare for her . I wonder how her coworkers and people around her feel.

That bubble was sent 2 days before the controversy for different gold medal than the one in controversy right now. Tweets talking about that same bubble trending on China was already there since February 5th and there was even a tread here talking about that bubble 3 days ago

External Content twitter.com

The messages in the screenshots are these from late Feb 5/early Feb 6

pasted-from-clipboard.png

pasted-from-clipboard.png

• This thread contains 18 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!