Why Minzy cannot be as successful as CL as soloist?

• I just bingy watching and listening to her songs and all of them are dope. I'm not their fans before so probably I miss something but it still make me wonder why there's huge popularity different between her and CL as soloist when 2Ne1 is very successful.

• There was always a difference in popularity when the group was active too, minzy has always been the least popular member.

And I think her mom might have sabotaged her career a bit, I heard she’s a stage mom or something

• 1. CL's popularity at her peak was like Jennie of the 3rd gen. Minzy was always the least popular (although most talented) member. So clearly the odds are stacked in CL's favor

2. Minzy never got the opportunity to promote solo while under YG. She only made her solo debut after leaving YG and lots of Blackjacks were mad at her and boycotted. Also her solo debut wasn't very good imo.

3. Years passed and Minzy still didn't release any music. She was under yet another bad company and had to go independent. Then she had a drastic image change and was significantly lower budget. Meanwhile CL didn't release music but kept her name in public eye by hanging out with high profile celebrities

4. Lately Minzy's music has the Latin sound which isn't super unique and sadly many of her fans are long gone. CL had a grand return last year and while some people were let down by Spicy, fans were pretty satisfied with all the hard work and versatility she poured into the album

• She only made her solo debut after leaving YG and lots of Blackjacks were mad at her and boycotted. Also her solo debut wasn't very good imo.

3. Years passed and Minzy still didn't release any music.

I think these two together are probably the biggest pieces. Although 2NE1 was VERY popular, Minzy, as an individual, didn't have the popularity to take three years from 2NE1's last song to her debut and then so silent for another three years before her comeback. Plus, although it was wildly unfair that her finally leaving 2NE1 in 2016 had her blamed for the death of the group, for some reason, Blackjacks turned on her and didn't support her solo anyway. I can't even blame YGE for that turn of events, because YGE kind of made no secret out of the fact that they had no plans for 2NE1 before that point and had moved onto the next gen. She seems to finally be doing more stuff now, but it may be too little, too late.

Overall this reminds me... I can't remember who said it, maybe one of the members of HOT, but his point was basically that it's dangerous to assume that group popularity translates into individual popularity. If that was true, then not just 2NE1, but there are a lot of groups whose soloists should just knock it out of the park and make bank, but they don't.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• i was gonna come here to say what most people have already said. unforuntely, minzy never had the eyes on her that CL had. she wasn't as pushed and after leaving people just didn't like her as much.

the odds were stacked against her :(

• To me, I think CL had her own musicial identity established pretty early. Minzy didn't get that soloist opportunity and development as the youngest of the group. I also think that CL is more connected and "tuned in" to her intuition when it comes to creating music and finding her own direction now of days. Having a good team behind you also helps.

I think Minzy is still trying to figure things out around who she is as an artist and getting the details right when it comes to the music, MV cinematography, choreo, etc. Sticking on the Dance/Latin thing isn't really shining light on what makes her d0pe overall as an artist. Dancing is a component and a strong plus. I don't usually see performers with a very high level of dance ability independent of their singing talents; that's a quality that makes her special. Still, her vocals are some of the most consistent and soulful in id0l-dom. Her voice is what makes her stand out to me. Minzy has a whole R&B/Soul and Hip-Hop/Rap component that hasn't really been explored yet as a solo artist. When is that going to happen?

I hope Minzy finds her way sooner than later. I'm still rooting for her just like I have for Jamie. Jamie has "vocal chops" too, but didn't have a "bullseye song" that flattered her strongly, in my opinion, until recently with "Pity Party".

Minzy is going to have to "grind it out" and build herself a new fanbase. If most of S. Korea doesn't mess with her like that, find the people and places that do and build with them. Consider doing a medley of her current favorite Pop songs, every so often, for content and combining her own reflections about the cover songs with fan feedback to set a general direction to go in or styles to try in her own original songs could be useful.

Edited 2 times, last by DMV2DMZ ().

• 1. CL's popularity at her peak was like Jennie of the 3rd gen. Minzy was always the least popular (although most talented) member. So clearly the odds are stacked in CL's favor

2. Minzy never got the opportunity to promote solo while under YG. She only made her solo debut after leaving YG and lots of Blackjacks were mad at her and boycotted. Also her solo debut wasn't very good imo.

3. Years passed and Minzy still didn't release any music. She was under yet another bad company and had to go independent. Then she had a drastic image change and was significantly lower budget. Meanwhile CL didn't release music but kept her name in public eye by hanging out with high profile celebrities

4. Lately Minzy's music has the Latin sound which isn't super unique and sadly many of her fans are long gone. CL had a grand return last year and while some people were let down by Spicy, fans were pretty satisfied with all the hard work and versatility she poured into the album

Adding on to that, Minzy had a huge dance regression, so a lot of fans of her dancing have left. It's perfectly normal considering 2ne1 were on hiatus so much, but a lot of fans were sad that Minzy wasn't able to retain her technique while Min/Hyoyeon were able to.

• I think these two together are probably the biggest pieces. Although 2NE1 was VERY popular, Minzy, as an individual, didn't have the popularity to take three years from 2NE1's last song to her debut and then so silent for another three years before her comeback. Plus, although it was wildly unfair that her finally leaving 2NE1 in 2016 had her blamed for the death of the group, for some reason, Blackjacks turned on her and didn't support her solo anyway. I can't even blame YGE for that turn of events, because YGE kind of made no secret out of the fact that they had no plans for 2NE1 before that point and had moved onto the next gen. She seems to finally be doing more stuff now, but it may be too little, too late.

Overall this reminds me... I can't remember who said it, maybe one of the members of HOT, but his point was basically that it's dangerous to assume that group popularity translates into individual popularity. If that was true, then not just 2NE1, but there are a lot of groups whose soloists should just knock it out of the park and make bank, but they don't.

I thought all of them are super popularity and similar to bp that even the least popular member will having successful solo, but probably many boycott her solo debut too.

And I don't understand why fans blaming her when Yg clearly didn't have plan for them. Shouldn't they blaming Yg instead rather than boycotted her?

• I thought all of them are super popularity and similar to bp that even the least popular member will having successful solo, but probably many boycott her solo debut too.

And I don't understand why fans blaming her when Yg clearly didn't have plan for them. Shouldn't they blaming Yg instead rather than boycotted her?

Man, there were so many arguments back in the day! People would push back and blame Bom because of her scandal at the time or YGE, and say it was just a reasonable calculation on Minzy's part to leave. And other people would say that it's not like Minzy's fans would support her anyway (and in hindsight, those ones were kind of right).

YGE really kind of screwed her over, because unlike CL, she didn't have the benefit of having that YG influence on her solo debut to propel and solidify her own individual celebrity. People used to say that YGE wouldn't give her one because she wouldn't be successful, but I don't know that I believe that she, at peak 2NE1 popularity and with her all-rounder skills, wouldn't have at least eked out something moderately successful.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!