the day kpoppies can get it through their head that black ppl/other races and religions, etc can stan idols who offended them

• is the day society will progress. i hate whenever i say something about an idol doing something racist and they are like "but you stan momo!" or "how are you ot4 red velvet but ot4 aespa." how about they mind their own fucking business? i am black and i can choose who i want to stan. if i want to stan giselle so be it, if you dont want to stan giselle over her nword controversy so be it. black people/other races/other religions are allowed to pick who they want to stan and it gets on my NERVES when non black/non *blank* wants to have a say in it. well first of all, screw off, and second of all mind your damn business. it is NOT that hard.

i also hate when stans of said group are like "why arent you ot(all members) yadada fuck people who dont stan every member." some cases it doesnt make sense why you anti them (ex. bahiyyih). but its 100% OKAY to anti someone who offended you/your culture. like i think wendy is talented and pretty but i just cant get over what she did. im not a fake fan, and i dont hate on wendy, i just think she crossed the line.

sorry for ranting ive been on the kpop side of social media for too long.

• It was hard for me when I first got into kpop because it felt like I was finding out bad things about idols I enjoyed kinda often and also that fellow fans were quick to discount how I felt or even mock that I was offended in order to prop up their faves.

I just came to terms that I really enjoy kpop and I don't have to accept everything or dismiss everything. I am allowed to weigh what hurts me against what brings me joy even if that comes in the same group or even the same person. I don't have to forgive anything or be OT whatever. I enjoy what I want. And I'm also free to continue to expect better or be upset when they mess up.

• The day society can progress is actually when racist people are actually held accountable for their actions. Defending racist idols is actually very contradictory to progression. And picking and choosing when you want to call out an idol is weird to me. Either you call all then out, or none of them….

I could never stan someone who has said or done racist things, especially intentionally and never truly grew from it, but that’s just me. I’m not in the business of supporting racist behavior.

Also just because you’re black and don’t care for racist behavior by idols doesn’t mean others should follow suit for the sake of what you think is “progression”.

I wonder if kpop fans would be as forgiving to white singers saying racial slurs, though I somehow don’t think so. The double standard is real.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• stan/like whoever you want

don't stan/like whoever you want

you don't need even need a reason whether it be problematic behaviour or otherwise...

it's really just one's personal preference

• stan/like whoever you want

don't stan/like whoever you want

you don't need even need a reason whether it be problematic behaviour or otherwise...

it's really just one's personal preference

Basically.

What I’m not understanding is the word use of “progression” in the OP. Being selective on who you call out for their racist behavior and who you support is not progression, but instead regression since it’s giving a pass for racism. Like it makes it okay sometimes? But then it’s not okay at other times? Just say you don’t really care instead of beating around the bush.

Also, none of these kpop idols who have been accused of racism has ever been truly “cancelled” because the kpop fandom in general don’t really give a shit. lolol.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

• Basically.

What I’m not understanding is the word use of “progression” in the OP. Being selective on who you call out for their racist behavior and who you support is not progression, but instead regression since it’s giving a pass for racism. Like it makes it okay sometimes? But then it’s not okay at other times? Just say you don’t really care instead of beating around the bush.

Also, none of these kpop idols who have been accused of racism has ever been truly “cancelled” because the kpop fandom in general don’t really give a shit. lolol.

Maybe it's being selective and hypocritical if OP's giving one idol a pass and criticizing another idol that does the exact same thing but I really don't think that's what they mean.

I think it's more being willing to be forgiving and understanding to idols that have made small ignorant mistakes over more serious offenders. But because OP stans idol A, they get invalidated and have to deal with Whataboutism if they have a problem with Idol B that did something more serious

• Maybe it's being selective and hypocritical if OP's giving one idol a pass and criticizing another idol that does the exact same thing but I really don't think that's what they mean.

I think it's more being willing to be forgiving and understanding to idols that have made small ignorant mistakes over more serious offenders. But because OP stans idol A, they get invalidated and have to deal with Whataboutism if they have a problem with Idol B that did something more serious

The OP never said anything about forgiveness and understanding. They literally just said mind your own business in the first paragraph as to why they would stan anyone who may have done something racist. Which is fine and dandy, until he goes to way Wendy crossed the line for mimicking how she thought black girls talked and acted in America. How is that not okay but let’s say Giselle saying the n-word is okay? Hmmm….

Also what I have a problem with this thread is the use of progression. There’s no true progression until everyone who uses racial slurs is held accountable, because until that happens it will continue to happen. But then this thread kinda proves that idols in general are given passes for racist behaviors.

• The OP never said anything about forgiveness and understanding. They literally just said mind your own business in the first paragraph as to why they would stan anyone who may have done something racist. Which is fine and dandy, until he goes to way Wendy crossed the line for mimicking how she thought black girls talked and acted in America. How is that not okay but let’s say Giselle saying the n-word is okay? Hmmm….

Actually I agree with them on that. Wendy was raised and educated abroad, knows full well that mocking and stereotyping isn't okay and she still did it multiple times despite being called out. Giselle was mouthing along to a song. It's just not the same.

Not every action is the same and there's a lot of nuance to where certain people draw the line. One thing can bother you and something won't.

• Actually I agree with them on that. Wendy was raised and educated abroad, knows full well that mocking and stereotyping isn't okay and she still did it multiple times despite being called out. Giselle was mouthing along to a song. It's just not the same.

Not every action is the same and there's a lot of nuance to where certain people draw the line. One thing can bother you and something won't.

Yup, scale and context matter. Also, patterns of behavior, what their character appears to be general, age, expressed remorse, and if time has passed without further incident will also affect how it's viewed.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!