Which generation was the best/worst to debut as an idol/in an idol group?

• Best gen? 34

1. First generation (3) 9%
    2. Second generation (9) 26%
    3. Third generation (18) 53%
    4. Fourth generation (4) 12%

3rd gen has a lot of global popularity and good album sales, first gen were huge with the sk gp, but had very little control/agency, second gen idols were promoted well, fourth gen is completely digital thus anyone can have their brave girls(ikw they are second gen they just went viral recently) moment and go viral, almost every group is active on social media like tiktok, foreign brands are more open to collabing with them...

There are good and bad points in every gen but which gen do you think had it the best/worst? It'll be nice if there are clips of idols who spoke about this topic aswell

Desbundar

• I feel like too early to tell for 3rd and 4th gen bc we havent seen the fall out of what happens to them once the group popularity goes down.

Between 1st and 2nd, Id go with 2nd. They have longer career span, decent recognition both in domestic market and global market.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I feel like too early to tell for 3rd and 4th gen bc we havent seen the fall out of what happens to them once the group popularity goes down.

exactly…. plus there are like 30-40 groups debuting every single year…. so popularity fluctuates really fast these days.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• objectively 1st and 2nd gen were really brutal when it comes to idol contracts, payment, standards, and antis. yes things are still tough for idols now, but things have definitely improved since then, like the outlawing of "slave contracts"

• 3rd gen or 4th gen, not only for their global success but also idols seem to be able to perform in good conditions most of the time. I remember many idols fainted on stage back in second gen. Although if there is hesitation in me choosing 4th gen, it is because the accessibility of social media that toxic fans could use as their hate platforms. Obviously any of these are still pale in comparison to what Jonghyun, Sulli, and many others in industry has suffered.

Nowadays more and more artists take hiatus and some companies even did regular check up on idols' psychological conditions. People's mindset and technology are just way more modernized than what it used to be

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

Edited 2 times, last by Armedryu ().

• If you want to see the best or worst to debut, you can't use any of the popular groups as an example. Those are the success stories - the ones that had it relatively easy. You have to look at the groups that failed and were abused to get a good idea of which generation was the best / worst to debut. Which generation of trainees had most hopes crushed? Which generation of trainees lost everything in their pursuit of trying to become idols? Which generation of trainees had the best safety net for debuting, even if they never won first place or had mega-successful hits? Which generation allowed debuting idols to still make money even if they never rose to prominence?

• If you want to see the best or worst to debut, you can't use any of the popular groups as an example. Those are the success stories - the ones that had it relatively easy. You have to look at the groups that failed and were abused to get a good idea of which generation was the best / worst to debut. Which generation of trainees had most hopes crushed? Which generation of trainees lost everything in their pursuit of trying to become idols? Which generation of trainees had the best safety net for debuting, even if they never won first place or had mega-successful hits? Which generation allowed debuting idols to still make money even if they never rose to prominence?

Oh wow. This is true. then I think first gen was worst and fourth gen is the best when I thought the inverse was true. In the first gen I'm sure more idol groups were household names but I doubt groups without big company backing ever tasted much success...

Desbundar

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!