Why do you think Gfriend's switch to maturity wasn't as well received as Twice, Apink, Fromis_9, etc

• In my opinion, it's because their music before Apple and Mago WAS mature. Looking back at their discography I think the real switch happened with Sunrise. They matured, but without alienating the original fanbase they spend years building. But with Apple, everything changed. Their cinematography, their sound, basically all the things their fanbase was familiar with were completely different. I think Source really fucked up by having Gfriend take such a drastic shift. If they wanted Gfriend to explore different sounds couldn't they have just promoted Apple or Mago as b-side's alongside a familiar sounding title track?

• I love all the songs Gfriend has put out, since they are also one of the first kpop groups I discovered.

I think they were bound to make a change after Crossroads since it gave a closure to the concept. Also the girls themselves idk, they looked ready to make a concept change.

I, myself was expecting a song like Labyrinth since it was a well-liked bside and it was also commented between fans that a song like that could be the tt for their next album because SM gave it a lot of promotions.

Apple was a little different to all the expectatives the fandom had, and that might have been kind of a turn-off for people who were just starting to get into Gfriend and it did not allow them to grow. Because the responses between the fandom were positive, so the fandom was not a problem

(And maybe the dance was different to the usual Gfriend's dances and that was a huge trademark)

In my opinion Mago was no problem for it, it gave them a lot of attention in the international kpop community.

526d260695f1e6be7fc576a759a81ce9eccaa866.gifv8f41e2de19fd3e53503e1f9bbaecb661064e5000.gifv0a61d4ea7129206fb3db97ab12f606316444f603.gifv

I'm throwing you away for keeping me locked up

• It's not as if Crossroads, which was their familiar sound, did better than Apple though. And Mago quickly became their most streamed song on Spotify and most liked MV so it was clearly well received.

Now I don't like Apple that much and I agree that it would have been better to pick another title track. But that's not the core of the problem imo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!