has 4th boygroups surpassed 3rd gen bgs in terms of casual listeners?

• 4th gen bgs are really up there with their global spotify streams. they are garnering lots of casual listeners

Approved the thread.
  • As far as i know

SKZ has 6.6m monthly listeners peak, more than any group that isnt bts, bp and twice

• outside of Korea? Yes. Domestically? no

• Only because the amount of listeners increased overseas, in korea not really

• in kr, absolutely no. no 4th gen bg had a song that even cracked top 100 on melon daily chart in 2021, it's that bad

• 4th gen bgs are really up there with their global spotify streams. they are garnering lots of casual listeners

spotify streams aren't a way to check casual listeners

if you want to use spotify as measurement, use monthly listeners or maybe followers (but those are also more fans than casuals) to see if an artist has casual listeners.

however, seeing how bad 4th gen bg chart on korean charts, they for sure don't have many korean casual listeners.

• you should've put: 'other than bts' in the title cause we all know that having as much as bts is unrealistic

• Isn't fair to compare Spotify streams when most of 3rd gen bgs are past their peaks while 4th gen bgs now have the most fans using that platform and are very active. Pretty sure Just right by got7 or love scenarios by ikon where a bigger thing with casuals than 4th gen songs now, they just didn't have Spotify back then

• I was expecting an "other than bts" somewhere. I thought since it wasn't in the title, OP would have it but it doesn't. If that's the case no need for any discussion cause the answer is no.

• Well... depends what you mean by 'casual' listeners. Like, KPoP has only grown in popularity since the beginning of third gen until now so it's only natural in reaches more people. And that unique listeners number on Spotify has something to do with playlisting as well.

To answer your question, no. Internationally, if you take BTS out of the question, maybe, but then again without BTS the genre wouldn't have grown exponentially as well so maybe the new BGs wouldn't have grown as well.

In Korea, a firm NO, even if you take BTS out of the equation. Somehow, the Korian GeePee refuses to pay any mind to 4th gen boygroups, and I find that so funny :pepe-joy:

• No. 4th gen fans put way more stock into padding streams.

• except BTS, i agree that 4th gen are surpassing 3rd gen boy groups as to monthly listeners

• Can top 3 4th gen BG collective monthly listeners on Spotify beat BTS (a 3rd gen) MLs? Someone said SKZ has 6.6M peak, enhypen 6M so I assume 6x3 = 18M (this is generous estimation). BTS is currently at 41.2MLs, so even double 18M is 36M and still less than BTS. Maybe the entire collective MLs of top10 4th gen BGs? Or top20. lol

Short answer: No

• 4th gen boygroups casual listeners are armys. They are not direct competitors of bts so armys stream them. 3rd gen groups are direct competition to bts so they don't stream 3rd gen groups.

• It is stupid using monthly listeners when spotify as a platform keeps increasing paid and overall users every year at a very high rate. For context, last year spotify had closed at around 180m premium users and it had 70m in early 2018 (which is when many people consider 4th started)

• 4th gen boygroups casual listeners are armys. They are not direct competitors of bts so armys stream them. 3rd gen groups are direct competition to bts so they don't stream 3rd gen groups.

No one is a competition to bts lol. But it's interesting how two hybe boy groups do well or whatever they call that performance on Spotify. Both are weak on YouTube also.

• Getting waaay ahead of yourself op

Interesting analogy. And it doesn’t sound surprising when these groups seem to have a lot of army leftovers

• Can top 3 4th gen BG collective monthly listeners on Spotify beat BTS (a 3rd gen) MLs? Someone said SKZ has 6.6M peak, enhypen 6M so I assume 6x3 = 18M (this is generous estimation). BTS is currently at 41.2MLs, so even double 18M is 36M and still less than BTS. Maybe the entire collective MLs of top10 4th gen BGs? Or top20. lol

Short answer: No

Funny how armys always say that nobody is ever going to reach bts' success but then armys are the same ones who want a group to beat bts to he considered successful

Not when armys beef with stray kids and enhypen fans on daily basis. If they were the casual listeners of everyone for real, you would be seeing much higher numbers than the ones you see now

• No one is a competition to bts lol. But it's interesting how two hybe boy groups do well or whatever they call that performance on Spotify. Both are weak on YouTube also.

Armys add 4th gen boygroup songs on their playlists to avoid filtering so they get spotify streams. But youtube doesn't need filtering so they don't have to watch their videos.

:pepe-joy:  :pepe-joy::pepe-joy::pepe-joy:

I have to laugh

Go ahead. You don't need to take my permission.

where are you getting this from lmao

are you sure they still are? plus don't think the weird purple blooded mindset is applicable to everyone who listens to bts

3rd gen groups exo nct seventeen monsta x have more followers than peak mls. 4th gen groups stray kids txt enhypen ateez have more peak mls than followers. The difference between 3rd & 4th gen are armys.

Spotify let's you make playlists. If you listen to the same act for long hours they filter streams. So armys need to add other kpop songs in their playlists to reduce filtering

• No one is a competition to bts lol. But it's interesting how two hybe boy groups do well or whatever they call that performance on Spotify. Both are weak on YouTube also.

bcs they don't use ads

their mv almost always longer+depended on storyline + no replay value

• for 4th gen groups from hybe, use their followers instead of monthly listeners.

company army have the tendency to give the hybe babies a few streams every month (probably more with txt than enhypen). so their monthly listeners being high is less impressive than ateez or stray kids, since they don't have a massive fandom giving them "family URL's".

• SKZ followers on Spotify: 6.9M

Monthly listeners peak: 6.6M

So?

• not bts

the just have better music some ehem big 3rd gen bgs

• damn. this person is too invested in kpop to become this dumb now. i can’t

for 4th gen groups from hybe, use their followers instead of monthly listeners.

company army have the tendency to give the hybe babies a few streams every month (probably more with txt than enhypen). so their monthly listeners being high is less impressive than ateez or stray kids, since they don't have a massive fandom giving them "family URL's".

• Ur wrong. The reason for the increase ML is because of some of their songs gettinh viral in tiktok . U see that during fever era and polariod love. Those two songs are added in many curated lists with lots of followers . And it’s not armies. It applies also to SKZ and TXT since they had viral songs love by many international fans . Many people here invalidating BG simply because they are more famous globally than GG 😂

for 4th gen groups from hybe, use their followers instead of monthly listeners.

• Not when armys beef with stray kids and enhypen fans on daily basis. If they were the casual listeners of everyone for real, you would be seeing much higher numbers than the ones you see now

armys beef with everyone. They will find a way to fight with ses fans so fandom wars don't matter. There are enough armys for them to be casual listeners of all kpop groups 45m according to bts spotify followers.

SKZ followers on Spotify: 6.9M

Monthly listeners peak: 6.6M

So?

Thank you. I'll exclude stray kids. But point remains for ateez txt enhypen and other 4th gen groups. Stray kids are in between 3rd n 4th gen so they are difficult to analyse.

• company army have the tendency to give the hybe babies a few streams every month (probably more with txt than enhypen).

yeah I actually saw tweets from armys saying they use them for fillers even though they don't stan them, I wouldn't be surprised if you were right

• This thread contains 33 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!