Why do people expect KPOP rappers to be like Western rappers?

• Like I didn't ask any of your dam faves to sound like Mariah Carey so why should kpop rappers sound like Eminem?

I'm so confused? Like suddenly people bring in what rap culture and then BAM a whole god dam essay on the history of rap culture and I'm like bish who asked?

You don't see me bringing a whole ass encyclopedia worth of shit to drag your faves singing for not sounding like Mariah Carey

Speaking of Mariah stream the BILLBOARD SONG OF THE DECADE (I didn't make this shit up this song is actually the Hot 100 song of the decade)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• this argument goes

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• ok but the fact of the matter is a lot of kpop idol rappers that are even a smidge serious ASPIRE to be like american rappers...literally copy them, steal their whole flows, dress up like them and put in black hairstyles and make a mockery of the whole thing. i don't want them to be like western rappers... i'd rather they be original and add something new. but most of them cannot. just like actual khip hop artists. its all a copy paste of the trends.

• Sure they are inspired by great rappers like Tupac, Eminem, 50cent etc. But they are adding their own spice to it as well. It's like even though rock music is originated in US. Jrock is different from western rock and have it's own uniqueness.

Also lots of idols are streetcasted. U can't expect Eminem from random teenager on the street tho. But at least they're getting better that's good. SM has at least have Mark & Giselle now.

• I think because they copy black artists and everything about them like how they dress, the hair styles, nothing is really original and they don’t write their songs so people tend to start to compare but some k-rappers are really good

i don't really understand they copy their clothing & stuff. Haven't seen Soeyon wear something like Cardi B wears.

• I don't expect them to be exactly like western rappers because the norms are different, but I do expect them to be competent at least in their delivery, on the id0l rapper side, if they didn't write their own rhymes. If you can't covey the rap in a way that is engaging, just don't.

There are western MCs who can rap over a beat that isn't as hot and breathe life into it, but I can't say that is something everybody can do.

If Hip-Hop/Rap is what "a lot" of people are listening to in South Korea, I think more SK-Hip-Hop/Rap artists and groups should have a mainstream platform at least half as comparable to what id0ls have outside of the "contestant shows"..especially if there is good demand. I think that could possibly solve the issue of more competent rappers being heard and seen.

• I don't expect them to be exactly like western rappers because the norms are different, but I do expect them to be competent at least in their delivery, on the id0l rapper side, if they didn't write their own rhymes. If you can't covey the rap in a way that is engaging, just don't.

There are western MCs who can rap over a beat that isn't as hot and breathe life into it, but I can't say that is something everybody can do.

If Hip-Hop/Rap is what "a lot" of people are listening to in South Korea, I think more SK-Hip-Hop/Rap artists and groups should have a mainstream platform at least half as comparable to what id0ls have outside of the "contestant shows"..especially if there is good demand. I think that could possibly solve the issue of more competent rappers being heard and seen.

Watched MixNine & YG Treasure box, there are actully pretty good rappers out there in Korea. But their persona & image doesn't really fit into idol groups unfortunately. Rappers prefer artistic freedom but when they're in a group they have to follow others. That's why most legit rappers don't get in idol groups.

• Watched MixNine & YG Treasure box, there are actully pretty good rappers out there in Korea. But their persona & image doesn't really fit into idol groups unfortunately. Rappers prefer artistic freedom but when they're in a group they have to follow others. That's why most legit rappers don't get in idol groups.

That is exactly why at least a segment of a show if not a full-show for Hip-Hop/Rap could be useful. In the US there once was Rap City and Yo! MTV Raps that had this niche.

• That is exactly why at least a segment of a show if not a full-show for Hip-Hop/Rap could be useful. In the US there once was Rap City and Yo! MTV Raps that had this niche.

I think Show Me The Money & Unpretty Rapstar are quite popular I guess. Some idol rappers participate tho. Bobby of IKON has won before. Since kpop is more popular internationally than any korean music. People tend to talk morea about idol rappers.

• I think Show Me The Money & Unpretty Rapstar are quite popular I guess. Some idol rappers participate tho. Bobby of IKON has won before. Since kpop is more popular internationally than any korean music. People tend to talk morea about idol rappers.

Those shows are contestant driven. I'm talking more about an artist/interview driven show. You know what? They wouldn't even need to do it on national TV. It could easily happen via a podcast with video episodes posted to Youtube.

• I don't think kpop singers are trying to be Mariah Carrey.. But on the other hand kpop rappers are definitely trying to be western rappers.. Styling, flow jacking, hand gestures, n in khiphop they blalant ly copy what hiphop stars do, like a Bad imitation of actual western rappers..

• Yes and I get that but she has culture appropriated and doesn’t really write a lot her music and the most of the people who do are black so people tend to compare

Soyeon has written a lot of her music. Other than using African instruments in one of the (G)I-DLE's performances, what else did she do? Also, people use traditional instruments in music all the time. We've seen it in western songs that use traditional Asian instruments; there's no outrage or controversy about that. Music tends to take inspiration from different sources throughout the world.

• Soyeon has written a lot of her music. Other than using African instruments in one of the (G)I-DLE's performances, what else did she do? Also, people use traditional instruments in music all the time. We've seen it in western songs that use traditional Asian instruments; there's no outrage or controversy about that. Music tends to take inspiration from different sources throughout the world.

didn’t know that but that is so cool

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!