a rant kind of

• Today in that school library that I work at, I heard one of the pupils using the word "disabled" as an insult.

What he said was: "He is so weird and disabled."

Well... I didn't say anything.

I maybe should have told this boy something like "This word is not okay to use as an insult".

But maybe a teacher or his parents should tell him this, if they hear him say this thing again.

But I used to also go to this school and one of the teachers, who still works there once said in class "Are you all disabled or something?", which actually made me furious in class and I wanted to throw something at that teacher.

That teacher still works there. (I hope he has changed, but last time he was told not to use those words, he did it again)

Heck, I wish it wasn't so common in my country to use this word as an insult.

Okay, this thread will probably make me look really sensitive.

And I maybe would also have been called sensitive or something, if I had said something.

Like I have sometimes heard someone said "Just because some people use 'disabled' as insult, it doesn't mean they are against people with disabilities."

I know that, but still...

• we had this discussion before I think about ableist words and stuff

I guess the situation is that it's slowly and surely sinking in...

each generation builds upon the next and hopefully is better...

Try and leave this world a little better than you found it, and when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate, you have not wasted your time but have done your best.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!