How much can mediaplay aid an idol's career or place in kpop?

• ? 12

The result is only visible to the participants.

These celebrity social experiments get me thinking about how easily fame can be manufactured and within the kpop bubble, it's all the more convenient. Big companies have ties to media houses, can block cfs or land their idols in dramas or prime viewership spots.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Amongst positions like visual, dancers, rappers, vocalists do you think mediaplay works well? I feel the latter three require a qualification for praise. You could get away with saying their visuals are unquestionably better cuz sk loves them. And hey most I fans haven't stepped into sk so they'd believe anything is possible. Then it's easier to get people to regurgitate stuff in varieties, interviews, articles, heck even fans are enough. Plus all this praise can be controlled to some degree. The other 3 positions will have critics at their throat at some point of time but still I think mediaplay or autotuning, good editing could help to some degree.

When future kpop fans look back all they will find is these "sources" to see who was the best at what in this hyper competitive field but even that may not translate well. Idols we hype as top vocal, dancer, actor, visual or rapper might be cringy to the future generations. Like if tiktok existed back then we'd definitely have this video called yg breathes and people lose their mind over his touching acting skills for this video lol. We can hardly gauge who's the best at what in the first gen just who was said to the best by the media.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Well, companies can help with success and manipulate some things (to a certain degree tho, because people still have to like the artists) but that happened even before social media exploded. Sure you can fake it on social media but at the end of the day idols don't work only with that and numbers don't lie (if you want to see their musical success) also in kpop everything is a "war" and every aspect of groups/artists is (over)analyzed and criticized, so someone who is totally untalented (very rare in kpop imo because most companies choose/train idols carefully) will be spotted immediately, maybe visuals are a bit of an exception though because hype can help them. Idk if in the future this generations of idols will be seen as cringy, but especially now that the audience for kpop is definitely wider imo I'm sure that people in the industry are much more careful about what their artists do, for their job I mean, not private life (that being said Imo fans who praise idols too much on social media for doing normal things/doing their job normally is cringy but maybe that's another story...)

Sorry for the terrible English and the boring long answer :facepalm:

• Well, companies can help with success and manipulate some things (to a certain degree tho, because people still have to like the artists) but that happened even before social media exploded. Sure you can fake it on social media but at the end of the day idols don't work only with that and numbers don't lie (if you want to see their musical success) also in kpop everything is a "war" and every aspect of groups/artists is (over)analyzed and criticized, so someone who is totally untalented (very rare in kpop imo because most companies choose/train idols carefully) will be spotted immediately, maybe visuals are a bit of an exception though because hype can help them. Idk if in the future this generations of idols will be seen as cringy, but especially now that the audience for kpop is definitely wider imo I'm sure that people in the industry are much more careful about what their artists do, for their job I mean, not private life (that being said Imo fans who praise idols too much on social media for doing normal things/doing their job normally is cringy but maybe that's another story...)

Sorry for the terrible English and the boring long answer :facepalm:

Don't be sorry! I like long detailed answers on discussion threads. Your English is fine too!

Desbundar

• kpop stans eat up mediaplay articles so easily :pepe-life-support:

For me, mediaplay articles (the positive ones which are made to praise a group) usually give me a very good idea what image the label wants for the group

!!!!

I wanted to say that sometimes I laugh when I see article like x group topped the worldwide charts in 67172 countries when it was just on iTunes aka a dead platform

Especially SM articles are just overrating their groups achievements.

• !!!!

I wanted to say that sometimes I laugh when I see article like x group topped the worldwide charts in 67172 countries when it was just on iTunes aka a dead platform

Especially SM articles are just overrating their groups achievements.

That's not limited to sm

For some odd reason, i decided to translate a naver article on hybe and the way the article was written and hyping up random achievements omg

It would put the company stans to shame 🤣

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!