Positions should be eliminated in groups

• Think about this:

Placing labels on peoples abilities only pigeonholes them. Say you like to sing but you’re labeled visual and so you only get 3 lines per song. You aren’t really singing often, and although your current job and subsequent careers post-idol-life will most likely include singing, you’re known for and training to be pretty/prettier. It also trains consumers to expect specifics. Because vocals normally sing in falsetto, it’s now expected that if you want to sing in Korea that you’ll sing falsetto the entire time. I just feel as though the only positions that really should exist are I GUESS leader (even though it’s a fake title because it’s truly just taking the management position and then giving group members/fans a face to blame instead of producers/stylists/managers) and maknae, anything beyond is honestly sort of unfair to the 13 year old that just signed a 7 year contract because they will have helped to condition the general public into thinking of them as, and let’s be honest, just their first job. What if everyone thought you’d end in your first job?

Thoughts??

Do you think positions are unfair/unrealistic?

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• I honestly can't think of many groups where positions are a sticking thing longer than the first 2ish years of their career.

• I agree look at TWICE's debut for example it was literally Nayeon & Jihyo ft. TWICE

Jeongyeon didn't even get a line in LIKE OOH AHH until the last chorus and shes supposed to be Lead Vocalist. Thank god their line distributions have improved since then.

• I agree because now Kpop fans will think the main vocal NEEDS to get the high note or else they’re mistreated and if the lead vocal sings a little more it’s unfair for example

It’s rlly annoying

Like positions do not mean anything I wish we had more groups like TXT StayC ect

• Maybe doing the whole racha/line thing would be better because they still have roles (kind of, not really), but no main, lead, sub stuff. This way, everyone within the same line can be seen as almost on the same level (kind of?) and people have roles, but they're much looser and more relaxed. As others have pointed out, positions grow to become vaguer over time, which is a good thing because it gives idols and starting place and room to grow. I used to be a big advocate for no positions because of how many fanwars it starts when people are arguing over who should have what position in what group, but then I realized that the debates will always exist, whether or not there are labels. Not only that, but I am terrible at noticing when someone is a good/bad dancer, singer or rapper, so without something to go off of as far as positions, I am clueless. I can understand both sides and am, for the most part, neutral on positions, but there are definitely some I would permanently remove without any hesitation:

Visual - I'd prefer it if K-Pop was a talent pageant, not a beauty one. Sure, pretty faces are nice, I'm not denying that, but talent and personality takes priority to me. Besides, I know there are beauty standards, but to me beauty is a) subjective and b) from the inside (cheesy, I know).

Face of the Group - What even is this position? I don't understand it. Is it like being a secondary leader? Another visual? I don't know. I dislike this position because it seems unnecessary and confuses me.

Center - Pretty much my exact reasoning as the former position I listed: I find it too confusing and don't understand it, so I don't like the position. Simple as that.

Also, none of these positions say how good you are at dancing, singing or rapping, nor do they indicate your role in a group like maknae or leader would, so why do we still have them? Genuinely curious on this. If anyone wants to attempt at explaining any of these positions to me, feel free to give it a try if you'd like. Have a great day/night!

• I don't like when positions are strictly forced. Idk, there's no need. People should be encouraged to work on their craft and do what they're best at.

I hate positions like 'center' and 'visual'. So unnecessary.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

• Hmm. I guess I’m alone here, but I like the positions in groups. I think that yes, people evolve and continue to grow their skill set, but I think it also does a disservice to the artists and their skill sets to not acknowledge them.

Chen is a main vocalist.

Mark is a main rapper.

Seulgi is a main dancer.

This is respect for them being very good at what they do and one of the best in their respective groups. It doesn’t mean it’s the only thing they can do, but acknowledges them for what they excel at.

Similarly, it can serve a purpose on the negative side. Taeil is not the best dancer in NCT, but that’s not what he’s there for - he’s a main vocalist. Similarly, Taeyong is not the greatest vocalist, but again, that’s not what he’s there for. Does it mean Taeil can’t dance and Taeyong can’t sing? No, they are both solid to good, but it does again give credit to the things they excel at, as well as potentially shutting down haters.

I’m fine with “visual” as a label because it’s honest. There are lots of groups outside of Kpop that have a visual although they don’t officially call them that - they are extremely attractive but often less skilled at vocal, dance or other elements than other members of the group. They are the stan attractor and everyone in the group knows it. I appreciate that Kpop is at least honest about it. Being a visual is its own job, just like being a model, and having it as a label acknowledges that there is work that goes into it, even if it a different kind.

Again, that’s not to say that the visual doesn’t strengthen their other areas over the life of the group or is already good in those areas (just not as great as others in their group.) And obviously that’s not all visuals - some are visuals and mains!

Center and face can go away as far as I’m concerned, because those can move around and don’t really mean anything around specific skills IMO. Same with maknae.

Leaders to me should be acknowledged for the work they do - when others in the group goof around or are tired, the leader still juggles the interviews and keeps everything on track, and should get credit for the work they do. (Many times they are the spokesperson for the group..)

I think what I would argue for is the ability to change labels as time goes on, or eliminate entirely later in the life of the group. For example, I think about Baekhyun (a main vocalist) became more like he was also a lead dancer as the years went on. He didn’t stop being a main vocalist, but expanded his other skills and talents. Or how in NCT 127, it can be very difficult to distinguish the mains and leads, particularly in their more recent work, since many of the members take larger vocal portions.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I don't like when positions are strictly forced. Idk, there's no need. People should be encouraged to work on their craft and do what they're best at.

I hate positions like 'center' and 'visual'. So unnecessary.

This. When I make lexicons for idols I always remove the visual and center positions and write just the other positions for those idols , I find them ridiculous.

EXOEXIST - The 7th Album 2023.07.10
    https://i.postimg.cc/TYFk7v3d/letmeinexo-1.gif https://i.postimg.cc/G2XKvZf1/letmeinexo-2.gif

• I used to think visual/face of the group/center were useless

But I see how fans love talking about idol beauty...the amount of threads talking about how x idols is going viral for literally just being pretty here...

Y’all can say whatever but visuals are the main attractors Yoona, Tzuyu, Irene are among the most popular idols because they are gorgeous.

Center is one of the most important positions when you have a group with more than 5 members it’s necessary to have a member who will always stand out no one want to look at an idol who doesn’t have stage presence or charisma ex: nayeon, Ryujin, jungkook are popular for their charisma.

• Disagree. I think groups need main vocal, dancer, leader, etc. However, if an idol doesn't suit one of the two music-oriented positions (main vocal, main dancer), then they should improve so that they can at least keep up without bringing the group down due to their lack of skills.

The visual and center members of groups should also be decent dancers and/or singers... at least be one or the other so the group isn't being dragged for having "talentless" individuals.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!