iKON Junhoe in hot waters for saying he wants to visit Israel 'for the atmosphere'

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

edit: the video got deleted because the account was mass reported

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

people are claiming that it was a mistranslation and that he didn't say he wants to visit because of politics but atmosphere (which makes a big difference if you ask me, but some people still consider it to be problematic)

I'm with people who actually speak Korean on this one

So apparently this was from March?

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.

Edited 3 times, last by Pinky_Peachy ().

• I'm so glad to live in a country that stands with Israel, since we know exactly how destructive antisemitism is. Those Twitter mobs are always so shocking to me, I really feel the Holocaust can and probably will happen again when I see them.

• What does "visit Israel for the politics" mean exactly...

No idea

He sounds more like a typical Christian who wants to visit Israel.

If I am understanding the situation correctly, people are finding faults with the way he said it and when he said it.

mKl7Ghm.png

• I'm with others on here, i dont get what the controversy is? "Born is the King of Israel" is just the lyrics to a popular Christmas carol.

Eh, that's not the part most people find faults with. It's the thing he said in the first video.

I'm just explaining what I've seen people say, by the way.

mKl7Ghm.png

• Eh, that's not the part most people find faults with. It's the thing he said in the first video.

I'm just explaining what I've seen people say, by the way.

Is this the video?

• Pinky_Peachy

Changed the title of the thread from “iKON Junhoe in hot waters for saying he wants to 'visit Israel for the politics'” to “iKON Junhoe in hot waters for saying he wants to visit Israel 'for the atmosphere'”.
  • Is this the video?

yes

I'll add it to the OP!

mKl7Ghm.png

• Which is what?

There's no video.

It got deleted since I posted it

mKl7Ghm.png

• So if it was misstranslation and going by the correction, wanting to travel to a country that might have weird politics because of its culture and atmosphere is not wrong though. I also want to travel to Russia and China but I do not support their political views at all. It doesn’t take away the culture of these countries

• allkpop remains the place with most ignorant people. you all are defending everyone over such nasty things like..

what he said is wrong. he knows exactly what the situation is with Israel and palestine,nine months ago it was all over the media and everyone was talking about it. "The atmosphere" the genocide you mean? it's terrible, that man is done

• allkpop remains the place with most ignorant people. you all are defending everyone over such nasty things like..

what he said is wrong. he knows exactly what the situation is with Israel and palestine,nine months ago it was all over the media and everyone was talking about it. "The atmosphere" the genocide you mean? it's terrible, that man is done

This is so ignorant as well. You know that Israel or Jerusalem is a culturally important place for a lot of people. Saying he wants to visit a country m, definitely doesn’t mean he supports a genocide. They all have century old cultures that go beyond that of the current conflict.

• Could mean that.

Could mean the thousands of years of history, a focal point of three of the world's biggest religions.

Which do you think is more likely?

lmao, here go the defenders. I don't care what does he mean. That was in MARCH, the months where the most terrible things were happening. He is either insensitive or ignorant and in both cases he shouldn't be defended.

• This is so ignorant as well. You know that Israel or Jerusalem is a culturally important place for a lot of people. Saying he wants to visit a country m, definitely doesn’t mean he supports a genocide. They all have century old cultures that go beyond that of the current conflict.

I know the cultural importance very well. I also know that if some people are killing children, murdering innocent people and doing terrible things then I won't want to go there, no matter if it's the prettiest place in the world or holds a great religion importance to me

• I know the cultural importance very well. I also know that if some people are killing children, murdering innocent people and doing terrible things then I won't want to go there, no matter if it's the prettiest place in the world or holds a great religion importance to me

Here we go with the antisemitic tropes like "Child-murdering Jews" (an anti-semitic trope MUCH older than the modern state of Israel). You can criticize Israel without being antisemitic, but 99% of those Twitter mobs can't do it and resort to the literally oldest most stereotypical antisemitic tropes or to complete delegitimization.

Some people are likely murdering innocent people in your country too. Literally every country in the world is somehow involved in "murdering ionnocent people" so better book your ticket to Mars before humans settle there.

• lmao, here go the defenders. I don't care what does he mean. That was in MARCH, the months where the most terrible things were happening. He is either insensitive or ignorant and in both cases he shouldn't be defended.

I knew that someone will call me Israel fan or something. Bruh, I even turned down a vacation to Israel due to the conflict but it’s easy to paint someone as the bad guy instead of trying to understand complex problems. And do you know that this was filmed in that time? Do you know that he was monitoring the conflict? I know that you are trying to project a conflict and problem on someone based on a biased assumption due to judgment sourced from a cultural conflict instead of trying to direct that anger towards the real problems: the government of Israel.

And yes, there are a lot of reasons to travel to a certain country. Every country - even the worst country of this world - have cultural assets that could be centuries old. There are so many countries that I would want to see but I can’t due to their political views and systems. It still doesn’t change the fact that I want to see them

• Here we go with the antisemitic tropes like "Child-murdering Jews" (an anti-semitic trope MUCH older than the modern state of Israel). You can criticize Israel without being antisemitic, but 99% of those Twitter mobs can't do it and resort to the literally oldest most stereotypical antisemitic tropes or to complete delegitimization.

Some people are likely murdering innocent people in your country too. Literally every country in the world is somehow involved in "murdering ionnocent people" so better book your ticket to Mars before humans settle there.

Ohhh so you are ignorant,insensitive, uneducated and are defending the wrong doings of Israel. Get the hell out with your "but everyone is bad 🥺" slogan

• I knew that someone will call me Israel fan or something. Bruh, I even turned down a vacation to Israel due to the conflict but it’s easy to paint someone as the bad guy instead of trying to understand complex problems. And do you know that this was filmed in that time? Do you know that he was monitoring the conflict? I know that you are trying to project a conflict and problem on someone based on a biased assumption due to judgment sourced from a cultural conflict instead of trying to direct that anger towards the real problems: the government of Israel.

And yes, there are a lot of reasons to travel to a certain country. Every country - even the worst country of this world - have cultural assets that could be centuries old. There are so many countries that I would want to see but I can’t due to their political views and systems. It still doesn’t change the fact that I want to see them

Trying to project? No. As I said, I acknowledge the reasons why someone might want to visit that place BUT during such a conflict it's insensitive and ignorant to say such things. You might want to go due to those cultural assets but would you actually go? No. When you're asked about your dreamt vacation would you pick the place covered in blood and engaging in a serious conflict or would you choose somewhere peaceful instead?

• Here we go with the antisemitic tropes like "Child-murdering Jews" (an anti-semitic trope MUCH older than the modern state of Israel). You can criticize Israel without being antisemitic, but 99% of those Twitter mobs can't do it and resort to the literally oldest most stereotypical antisemitic tropes or to complete delegitimization.

Very few countries in the world are blockading (which inhibits them from actually defending themselves) people into basically an open air prison, then forcing their military might on them at the slightest inconvenience.

And its not really anti-semitic if they are actually killing kids. Its just factual. Palestinian rockets have killed kids also, but its VERY disproportional to what the Israeli's have done.

Point being, no one is pointing fingers at Israel like their countries are clean, there's just another level of shitty government when you factor in Israeli's occupation

• Ohhh so you are ignorant,insensitive, uneducated and are defending the wrong doings of Israel. Get the hell out with your "but everyone is bad 🥺" slogan

Yeah I basically had 5 years of studying antisemitism in high school and was all that shit again especially this year. Saw all that shit like the synagogue of my city, which needs to be under permanent top level surveillance anyway, thousands of km away from Israel getting shut down for the acute terror threat. Saw all that shit again like people getting punched in the face and beaten to unconsciousness for having any symbol of Israel or Judaism again. And my country is still considered one of the safest for Jews IN THE WORLD, like literally 90%+ of countries with sizable Jewish population have it much worse. High season for that stuff constantly, ESPECIALLY high season when the "antizionists not antisemites" have their high season again. See all that shit going on on Twitter every day and how much it reminds me of my history lessons.

• Trying to project? No. As I said, I acknowledge the reasons why someone might want to visit that place BUT during such a conflict it's insensitive and ignorant to say such things. You might want to go due to those cultural assets but would you actually go? No. When you're asked about your dreamt vacation would you pick the place covered in blood and engaging in a serious conflict or would you choose somewhere peaceful instead?

I agree with you that it was very insensitive and that he should speak up and maybe clarify. But I still think that he did not mean any harm and that a lot of people are sadly (ignorant) about a lot of things or else people wouldn’t travel to North Korea and basically give their government and injustice money

• I know the cultural importance very well. I also know that if some people are killing children, murdering innocent people and doing terrible things then I won't want to go there, no matter if it's the prettiest place in the world or holds a great religion importance to me

And that's your call.

But if someone decides they do want to go there, that doesn't make them a supporter of genocide or anything of the sort.

They can know what is happening there and still want to go despite that.

Not because of, but despite.

I don't think that makes them ignorant or insensitive.

How many idols have visited China, promoted in China, or are themselves Chinese? Despite the genocide against Uyghur Muslims.

But that doesn't mean any of former are complicit in or endorsing the latter.

• Yeah I basically had 5 years of studying antisemitism in high school and was all that shit again especially this year. Saw all that shit like the synagogue of my city, which needs to be under permanent top level surveillance anyway, thousands of km away from Israel getting shut down for the acute terror threat. Saw all that shit again like people getting punched in the face and beaten to unconsciousness for having any symbol of Israel or Judaism again. High season for that stuff constantly, ESPECIALLY high season when the "antizionists not antisemites" have their high season again. See all that shit going on on Twitter every day and how much it reminds me of my history lessons.

You could have all the knowledge and experience in the world and still be ignorant.

No one is saying that the opposite side is innocent and that they are saints that haven't done anything bad. This isn't a competition between who has committed the worst mistakes. Someone else's wrong doings don't erase Israel's. There's nothing "antisemitic" in acknowledging actual facts and saying that it's completely insensitive to say you want to go to a place due to the atmosphere where the atmosphere in question is genocide, murder and crime

• This thread contains 261 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!