A Negative Aspect About Feminism…

• What is Feminism? According to the Oxford dictionary, “the belief and aim that women should have the same rights and opportunities as men.” I, completely and absolutely support this— I definitely stand in favour of this. Then why don’t I support feminism as a female? Well, it is not feminism itself that I don’t support, it’s what it has become that I don’t advocate for. From my own experience and worldview, the people within the movement have become very malignant and have gone astray from feminism’s original motives. Rather than fighting for equal rights and opportunities, they fight for superiority and dominance over the other sex, thus, I wouldn’t even consider calling those people “feminists”. It has progressively become a liberal white feminist movement, and I have felt the effects of it. Maybe other POC may relate, but this Western feminism is definitely not inclusive and does not validate women of different ethnic and racial backgrounds at all.

When I say white/Western feminism, I do not mean the racial status of women, but rather the white feminists who do not want to acknowledge the racial patriarchy and the racial privileges that has immensely plagued the movement. “You also can be brown or black and still be a white feminist, in that you can still be supporting the larger systematic architecture of racism,” (González-Ramírez, 2021). When you bring this issue forth, they are quick to dismiss the concern— calling it “internalized misogyny,” or labelling one as “anti-feminist,” as they are not ready for that talk. It genuinely makes me question the movement’s credibility and integrity. “The problem is the well-meaning liberal white women are not malicious in their individual actions. But there’s also no tabulation of the cost of their good intentions, the cost they impose on other women, the space they take up, and the paternalism of the way they want to essentially keep the white feminist saviour role for themselves,” (González-Ramírez, 2021). In all honesty, the feminist movement is in a dire need of recognizing and fixing their own shortcomings before jumping in to advocate for other women at a global level; they need a reform.

Just on a ending note, I do want to restate that I absolutely stand in solidarity with women fighting for equal rights and opportunities (the original motives of Feminism), as I, myself, advocate for that. However, personally, I don’t stand with (western/white) feminism anymore as they haven’t done much to fight for women of colour other than bringing down minorities and talking over them.

• dontwannacry04

Changed the title of the thread from “Reasons why I don’t stand with Feminism…” to “Reasons why I don’t support Feminism…”.
  • Feminism = women's fight for equality

Original idea = great

What it's becoming for some people ('white feminism') = bad

This essay = long

Hotel = Trivago

Peachy = read all

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

• everytime I see people complain about "white feminists" is when feminists rightfully talk about harmful actions in other cultures, for example like calling out forced hijab. Then after the criticism, when white feminists either ignore the matter, or even support the practice (im thinking about the hijab is empowering movement which angered many exmuslim women who fled to the west as well), people still cry about evil white feminists.

That makes no sense. It only turns into a circejerk "when white men do something misogynist everyone - white, black, brown- must scream and call them out, but when non-white men do something misogynist everyone must shut up because it's their culture, it's actually good etc" but at the same people will complain about white feminists only thinking about problems in their culture, and ignoring global problems (but didnt yall say they shouldn't meddle into other problems because that's being a white saviour?)

Is the purpose take white women out of the feminist movement? Then at least be frank and say it as it is.

Anyway it's clear that the feminist movement shouldnt be focused on white women considering they are not as badly affected by patriarchy and they take too much place, but this also became a tool to defend patriarchy as long as it doesnt come from white men. The focus should me more on helping women from other backgrounds and making them and their problems heard rather than spending most of the time talking about evil white feminists.

Edited 2 times, last by Bibibi ().

• I support feminism to a point. I'm all about women's rights and equality, but when you get these "radicals" painting with their period blood for empowerment or coming out with ridiculous statements that's where I draw the line. It's getting too extreme nowadays imo.

• everytime I see people complain about "white feminists" is when feminists rightfully talk about harmful actions in other cultures, for example like calling out forced hijab. Then after the criticism, when white feminists either ignore the matter, or even support the practice (im thinking about the hijab is empowering movement which angered many exmuslim women who fled to the west as well), people still cry about evil white feminists.

That makes no sense. It only turns into a circejerk "when white men do something misogynist everyone - white, black, brown- must scream and call them out, but when non-white men do something misogynist everyone must shut up because it's their culture, it's actually good etc" but at the same people will complain about white feminists only thinking about problems in their culture, and ignoring global problems (but didnt yall say they shouldn't meddle into other problems because that's being a white saviour?)

Is the purpose take white women out of the feminist movement? Then at least be frank and say it as it is.

this is definitely and interesting take. But the point was to call out white feminists who ignore POC problems.

• I don't how old you are but i bet you're not older than 20, the feminism movement we have is perfect and it should carry on this path, let me tell you something women will and will never oppress man simply because we don't have the power for that and no feminist aren't looking for dominance but equality for our entire exists we've been beneath man it's time to change things

it's not perfect and it needs to reroute it's path. Instead of focusing on white cis gendered straight women, include marginalized groups who are also effected by feminism and anti feminism rhetoric. Like POC women, LBGTQIA+ women, women who aren't deemed conventionally attractive, and women from countries that don't have English as their most spoken language. There needs to be room in feminism for every women, not just the conventionally attractive white 23 year olds.

• it's not perfect and it needs to reroute it's path. Instead of focusing on white cis gendered straight women, include marginalized groups who are also effected by feminism and anti feminism rhetoric. Like POC women, LBGTQIA+ women, women who aren't deemed conventionally attractive, and women from countries that don't have English as their most spoken language. There needs to be room in feminism for every women, not just the conventionally attractive white 23 year olds.

Sorry you replied to my old comment i edited it out cuz i didn't read the thread properly

• I can’t add much to this discussion except that I find most social movement nowadays get so convoluted. You would think we make more progress as more people get involved but the opposite usually happens. People are so stuck in their own view of the world they assume everyone should merrily move along on this narrow “righteous” path they constructed in their head.

I don’t label myself as a feminist or join any movement. I just live my daily life based on the principles and let others come to their own decision on how they will carry out the same principles. Any movement should always aim to uplift and encourage, not to direct and control the participants. Seek first to understand then be understood. Maybe we will have less fights that way but what do I know.

• Are you Muslim ?

I see a lot of non Muslim and white feminist giving their two cents on hidjabi when in reality the only people who can talk about it are Muslim girls and specifically Muslim girls who wear hidjab , everyone fail to understand what hidjab is and when ever they refer to it they describe it as an oppressive tool

• Are you Muslim ?

I see a lot of non Muslim and white feminist giving their two cents on hidjabi when in reality the only people who can talk about it are Muslim girls and specifically Muslim girls who wear hidjab , everyone fail to understand what hidjab is and when ever they refer to it they describe it as an oppressive tool

Well thanks, your comment is exactly what I was talking about.

To me it's clearly the opposite, but it's not the point here since I used this as an example so I won't argue about it further.

And I'm not anymore but I'm from a muslim background, but it doesnt change anything. My point is, When something is green, just because a person is from another background shouldn't stop them from calling it green. Otherwise we would still be at the point of men justifying why they are keeping women like cattle without any rights to education, autonomy, because they always had a reason the same way you have reasons now.

• I was there some time ago,, I liked the idea of feminism great but I thought modern feminism was pushing things to the limits with all that fake politically correctness.

Now I get that most of feminists are actually chill like, but sadly it's the extremist minority that gets highlighted on social medias because of their extremist ideas that gets people talking. But in truth, as I said, most feminists are chill

• this hyperwokeness online where people want to prove that they are right instead of actually debating+ practing general decency with others is breeding a whole weird subculture of people with extreme selective empathy lmao. like, a lot of views are conservative but trying to pass like it's ~progressive~ and i think it's coming from learning about the world+feminism through social media, especially tumblr (the things i had to relearn...)

yea I noticed that too

• The point went completely over your head. I’m not saying take white women out of the equation, that is definitely not what I meant. I’m talking about white feminism, where they only advocate for what appeals to them; you can not deny the racial patriarchy and privileges that exist, you would be lying to yourself if you said they don’t.

Also, like another user questioned: are you a Muslim or a hijabi? People, especially non-Muslims have a lot to say on that matter yet at the same time have nothing meaningful to say, and that’s another example of talking over the minority— which is often a form oppression to most Muslim women who do wear a hijab by their own will and devotion to God. I understand your point of some women being forced to put on a hijab— they should be able to talk about their struggles, however, to label the hijab as an form of “oppression” on Muslim women as whole is absolutely not accurate. The term “hijab,” does not simply mean headscarf, the meaning is a lot deeper than most non-Muslims know. This gets me to the point that, rather than white/ western feminism taking on the responsibility of speaking over other minorities and women, it’s best to help them get to a platform that lets them speak for themselves and their struggles. That’s the difference: them speaking over others vs them advocating and helping minorities speak for themselves.

• The title and the beginning of your thread is very misleading, i do agree with your views on white feminism by the end of the day white women are only second to white man a lot of white feminist lack the proper understanding of other cultures and how not every women needs to be like them to be called feminist

I don’t how to word it properly, but if you have suggestion, please do let me know!

:angryr:

• dontwannacry04

Changed the title of the thread from “Reasons why I don’t support Feminism…” to “A Negative Aspect About Feminism…”.
  • Been saying this for while…

People are fighting over things that don’t matter or help in any kind of way, instead more problems are created to than be called out, while real problems are completely ignored. All it does right now is dividing.

Let’s face it, feminism has somehow become a place where more privileged women complain about not being privileged enough or want to be more privileged than men….. while there are women out there who don’t even know what the word privilege mean… they don’t even have basic human rights.

The movement also has no clear structure anymore, it fights to many different fights and unfortunately likes to fight the fight of others as well, to many people who just want to provoke with hot takes and it feels like they have lost grip to reality… third/fourth wave feminism barely has accomplished anything for women in the past few years …. Especially not for poc women … but what it accomplished was ruining the reputation and what it once stand for…Many aren’t even taking it serious anymore.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!