Unpopular opinion about Aespa's stage presence

• It's no where as bad as people here make out to be, that's the opinion.

I was just watching their Gayo stages from yesterday and aside from the obvious lipsynching (which apparently was rampant in the whole festival), i don't think the perfromances were bad at all, they were decent and teh girls looked good on stage (and i don't mean their visuals)

Criticising their MAMA stages was warranted but at this point i am certain people are just taking advantage of that hiccup to push a certain narrative about them, kinda like the whole "Lazy Jennie" thing from a few years ago

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I enjoyed these performances a lot and i think they had the right attitude, playful and fierce in equal parts.

Yumeku

• And just to clarify, this opinion wasn't based only on their kbs gayo stages, Even in their very first debut stage it was obvious that they had a talent for stage performances

but they were apparently getting very ridiculous pointers from their team (didn't Winter say something about how they were told to keep a blank face on stage?), and i am hopeful that they will keep improving and letting their own personality and style come through, the more experience and performances they have.

• Yeah,pretty sure the MAMAs are what triggered it all.Weren't people constantly praising NingNing's stage presence and Karina's ''aura'' up until that point?

I said it then and i'll say it again, the criticism was warranted but there was lots of opportunism.

Next: "taking a nap on stage when it's your turn is actually very edgy and innovative"

good thing none of that happened here

• I agree. I wonder if it's the choreo to some extent.

I think it is the nature of the songs. Black Mamba was a playful song while Next Level and Savage are anything but. besides, like i said above, Winter has literally said that they were told to keep a blank face on stage. I think their team wanted to project the solemn nature of the songs on the perfromances themselves and it backfired.

• I think Winter's amazing. I'm always drawn to her when watching their performances. Karina is also cool to watch also sometimes but she does the same expressions all the time and she can be boring after a few performances. Ning Ning I think tries too hard but I appreciate that. Giselle has some moments where she shines (I love when she drops to the floor during her second verse in Savage) but tbh is boring to watch. But again, Winter kills it every time for me. I appreciate that she switches up things a little with her expressions. Keeps it interesting to watch. And she dances amazing.

• I think Winter's amazing. I'm always drawn to her when watching their performances. Karina is also cool to watch also sometimes but she does the same expressions all the time and she can be boring after a few performances. Ning Ning I think tries too hard but I appreciate that. Giselle has some moments where she shines (I love when she drops to the floor during her second verse in Savage) but tbh is boring to watch. But again, Winter kills it every time for me. I appreciate that she switches up things a little with her expressions. Keeps it interesting to watch. And she dances amazing.

Giselle is the weakest link in the group imo.

• very bland imo but not as bland as some of their contemporaries

itzy still takes the cake in terms of stage presence for 4th gen groups by a huge margin

even if i dont like their songs that much, they are fun to watch once in a while

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• they look dead inside every time they perform litearlly the same face expressions but we are not surprised that an sm stan came with this thread best vocalists my ass

• I didn’t think red velvet were very good on stage either. Not sure why SM GGs aren’t raising to the occasion. RV have my favorite songs in 3rd gen but I’d much rather see twice and bp on stage. Even great songs like Psycho and bad Boy I wasn’t interested in RV’s lives.

Is it that the songs aren’t suited for lives or is the choreo not interesting enough I wonder.

Well aespa are new let’s see how they do in the future.

• I totally agree. I found their stage presence good when they debuted and in spite of one or two lacklusters performances, they are consistent with their charisma. Karina is always the one who caughts my eye on stage.

It's always convenient how some Kpop fans use one or two performances to go with their critical agenda as if a group could never improve or had one questionable performance without bouncing back afterward.

dbed960a80097dc7d9eac973b7be5f732ec99c98.gifv  1f251c53cf32e8a39ff30f639687b517129b0205.gifv  8ce6cd0f2729463446ccbc09563cc6ad65a72d09.gifv

• Imo they're not fun to watch for me and they need to work on their stage prescense but my God dont turn this into a witch hunt and a bandwagon hate..

They're still rookies and have their entire careers to improve and grow and I'm sure they will with time so I hope people dont hold onto this forever

• I agree. I wonder if it's the choreo to some extent.

It's the choreo

the Bm performance is the only stage where the move the most around the stage

Meanwhile if you watch the NL and savage you'll notice that there's very few change of formation and doesn't move a lot around the stage

They move in a sort of invisible square which make most of their stage empty because they aren't a lot of members but they also doesn't move a lot around the stage

I think they just put the focus on a different things than other groups

Aespa performance focus a lot around the dynamic camerawork and this type of performance in a really restricted space make the camerawork easier to capture the moves that main moves that SM want to capture in their performance

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• I didn’t think red velvet were very good on stage either. Not sure why SM GGs aren’t raising to the occasion. RV have my favorite songs in 3rd gen but I’d much rather see twice and bp on stage. Even great songs like Psycho and bad Boy I wasn’t interested in RV’s lives.

Is it that the songs aren’t suited for lives or is the choreo not interesting enough I wonder.

Well aespa are new let’s see how they do in the future.

SNSD is still SM's best GG when it comes to stage presence, they actually knew how to put on a show and always looked like they enjoyed themselves a lot on stage.

I really think there was a shift in management or artistic direction that mostly shows when you compare trainees from the past decade and this one, with some exceptions here and there.

• My problems with aespa's performances are a lot but "stage presence" isn't one of them. What makes their performances seem boring is the fact they're not trying to change a single thing and repeat the same format and "expressions" over and over. Black Mamba's stages especially the first few were different because they weren't like that -expression-wise- and the choreo was fun to look at. It was also lip-synced but we weren't as used to hearing the same audio over and over in every performance and everything was new. No one could say the things they say now about aespa before because they were so impressive and got many fans during that time because of their BM stages with people saying they can't believe they're rookies. The irony...

I mean my problem besides the obvious lip-syncing, is they use the exact same AR which is not even fitting for the video. The sound is lower than the original (when usually in Live it is better to be louder and livelier). There is a huge lack of effort from them and SM in making any difference which is what bothers me. I don't think having "stage presence" is hard if the performer is confident and comfortable when all of them are. Just look at Karina and Ningning, they look so captivating in gifs but watch the full video with audio on and you get bored.

Usually, when I hear that someone lacks "stage presence" I think of someone who looks awkward, insecure, or terrified from the stage. Aespa members, on the other hand, don't seem like that but they seem bored and putting no effort whatsoever on the stage. I can see the difference in Karina's attitude sometimes (like in recent KBS gayo) but that quickly crumbles when the others are doing the same on the same overused audio with an empty year-end stage (SM lack of effort).

However, I do think opportunist aespa haters used MYs frustration to spread their irrelevant negative narrtaives. If you read some of the MAMA articles' comments, some users use the opportunity to dish on everything aespa related and promote their 4th gen fav as the better performers (which frankly, none of the ones they mentioned were good except Itzy but idc about them to get frustrated over their underwhelming stages as I do with aespa). In the comments, they literally questioned how aespa was chosen by SM because "they lack skills". Suddenly they claimed the girls are bad dancers, singers, ugly and their sales/charts are fake. All because of an underwhelming stage.

lt64IYu.gif

Edited once, last by Yumeku ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!