Someone update me on mamamoo pls

• I've been absent from kpop for a year or so.

I heard their group comebacks did not do that well and hwasa recently had a solo comeback.

What are the members activities right now and how popular are they in korea these days (as a group)?

BTW the forum has become so different. Topics and attention has switched to newer groups I never heard of. It's nothing bad, but I just miss the old times :pepe-sad:

• hwasa’s solo comeback sold way less

, i don’t know if it charted well or not but i know it wasn’t as good as her debut

as a group they’re gonna have a comeback soon … i heard

• Moomoo checking in with the update!

Depends on when you stopped keeping up but so much happen. I'll recap from 2020. It was the year of Solo's and damn if they didn't pack it in. First Hwasa was meant to have a song with Dua Lipa and promote it internationally but covid stopped that so we got Moonbyul releasing a ballad. Yes a ballad and promoting it on music shows for her birthday. She then had her solo debut with dark side of the moon (which sold like 60k first day and totalled around 70k!).

Then Solar had her solo debut with spit it out (sold 84k first day).

Then moonbyul had a solo concert and a repackage album, which brought her sales to 110k and made her the first 3rd gen gg soloist to get past 100k (I remember hearing this).

Then as we were all calmly waiting for wheeins solo, hwasa got drafted into a huge TV show with yoo jae suk and ended up part of a gg called refund sisters with jessie, um jung hwa and lee hyori and they got all kinds of records and PAK's and even promoted the song. (side note the members all ended up featuring on rains song for the show).

Hwasa then had her CB with maria which was huge, especially in China. She injured her back whilst practicing, which is why shes taped up and why they delayed group promotions again (first for refund).

THEN, we had a song for thier brand deal with that sports company (and again hwasa stuff got sold out first lol) which was amazing and almost got them a music show win (as in it was nominated and doing pretty well lol).

We finally had a CB with the travel album and they asked fans to pick the TT, some fans went into the company and they choose dingga but the girls wanted aya so they put togeather a quick mv and promoted it as a bside but it did really well and they ended up performing it on Japanese TV then japan was going through thier back catalogue and random songs were rising on oricon. It was a good day. Soooo many performances of aya as well. Also aya was the song solar sang on her YT channel during one of her lives and she asked us to vote on which we liked the best yet we never even realised lol.

Travel broke through 100k sales first day making them the 5th GG to ever do so. They also reached 100 million unique listeners on melon, 4th grop to ever do it and first gg (others being BTS, EXO and BB), and reached 2 billion streams (second GG to do this after twice). They also exceeded 1 million sales total.

Then they had the travel fan meeting (it was great).

Edit - forgot to mention moonbyul now has a radio show and they did this travel holiday show for thier 6 yr anniversary. Also solar was in a camping tv show and appearing in variety shows like running man.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• omg thank you so much for typing all of this down. :pepe-sad:

looks like they were quiet active, but not really succesful? I mean 2020 was probably alright for them, but 2021 seemed rather lackluster achievement-wise compared to prior year

• Solar and Hwasa were the busiest

in terms of appearances in variety/tv shows etc.

Solar even has MC role in some show for talented singers

she also had challenge to train with coach Jang and then appeared with him on Men's Health cover

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Now for 2021.

We started the year with a bang and wheeins solo, it was great, think she sold like 72k. (Just realised I forgot to say when solar dropped her solo she broke the record for fastest GG solo win after debut with 5 days.)

Since it was the 7 year anniversary alot was planned. They wanted to do this offline concert but thanks to covid they couldn't. It was meant to be early in the year (june) and they wanted to release WAW at the concert but thanks to the situation they kept pushing the concert back hoping to have it in person only to have to have it offline in late August. But thanks to that they did it online instead and moos worldwide watched. But they went with a shit company so moos logged in only to find a blank screen. at one point 20k of us who had paid were watching this concert through an illegal stream. We argued with the company, alot got thier money back and now they are selling the concert DVD. Also they dropped a MMM concert movie with behind the scenes footage like a week ago.

Also RBW pissed off the C-moos by making a statement supporting the one china policy to support some trainee they had on a chinese program then retracting it and so now they don't buy any albums or organise monetary support that will support the company but are still fans of the members.

We had a ballad album called WAW which was meant to be for fans but thanks to the concert situ they promoted it for a little bit so we could see performances around the time of the anniversary, which made us all cry, then they dropped this show on YT of them basically relaxing at hwasa's grandmas house. After the concert they dropped a 'the best album' with a total of 23 songs, remakes of their favourite songs, different versions. They also dropped a special song called mumumumuch for fans. Moonbyul got alot more lines in many of thier earlier songs and is finally the most credited 3rd gen GG member. She is on 91 now, Miryo who is ahead of her has 97. She also just dropped a song (like 2 days ago) ready for her album which is coming soon. Also we had major issues with the rollout of the best albums, and many fans didn't get theirs for months.

RBW also kept dropping restocks of old albums, which would sell out in days and their old albums kept climbing the sales charts at random because of it.

All the members renewed to continue being mamamoo, but wheein decided to go to another agency for her solo work. She signed a contract to allow RBW to control her work as mamamoos wheein though and is confirmed for another 2 promoted CB's until December 2023. RBW also went public (becoming the first agency to go onto the stock market primarily from the results of a GG) and they had to disclose when the contracts are up. They also disclosed that mamamoo earned 20 billion in sales despite covid for the company and they were responsible for 54% of profits last year. For the first half of this year they were responsible for 36% of profits. Interestingly, they only dropped WAW, the concert, the best album after June (so flops? not really). She has now signed with Ravi's label the live and just dropped a Christmas song with Ailee who is also under his label.

All the members now have Instagram and fans are drowning in content, moonbyuls radio show is weekly and solar updates her yt twice a week. We've had a new song basically every month for the past 2 years, if not a solo, its a group song, OST or collab.

Solar is has been doing so many shows this year its insane, 2 music judging shows, boss in the mirror again , even dropped in to judge on wild idol for a bit, was cover model for mens health (again I forgot to mention they went on BITM last year as a group) plus her yt twice a week. She also got more ad deals and is promoting stuff on her channel (samsung, this eyeliner brand, skin care brand, Maltesers, tinder, netflix). She also got a dog and her sister opened a YT channel for thier dog. She also bought a building. Rich mommy solar indeed. She also had a fanmeeting to celebrate reaching 3 million subs.

Moonbyul got a new dog and she has an Instagram for her dogs (also they did an Idol athletics competition which she participated in and won with her flying bread loaves) and she is now on a football show too, wheein was on begin again we are waiting more activities from her under her new label but she has a solo seasons greetings out this year and they made new social medias to follow her (I think I heard MMMTV unnie left RBW to run it for her), hwasa is still on i live alone and selling out things (like lego flowers, flutes and sheet music, sold out her car 3 years in advance, caused such a massive traffic jam with people following her star gazing they now renovated the place for star gazing) and is still getting all kinds of brand deals, including with tommy jeans and they even supported her recent CB. Shes also opened a YT channel but she hasn't updated it since she the first few days since it was opened. Her CB did worse than expected TBH, some fans are blaming the lack of promo and also the timing. They dropped group seasons greetings around a week after opening orders for her solo. Also the seasons greetings this year is a game. RBW made new social media accounts filled with puzzles and memories for fans to find and when you get to the end there are all kinds of prizes from cereal

to electronics.

There was an issue with the original fandom execl doc of all their content so it got locked, there's a new one but they won't let me post it here :facepalm:

They also went on killing voice.

External Content www.youtube.com

I think thats everything but TBH we are always so well fed I keep forgetting things that happened ;(

• omg thank you so much for typing all of this down. :pepe-sad:

looks like they were quiet active, but not really succesful? I mean 2020 was probably alright for them, but 2021 seemed rather lackluster achievement-wise compared to prior year

Kind of but they are in their 7th year so mostly focusing on solo work now, apart from legacy achievements. also all the work this year was aimed at fans for the anniversary (and there was so much merch, including perfumes).

Also forgot to add this, An San won gold for Korea in archery and moo's noticed a mmm pin on her bag and even solar was posting about it on her Instagram and they even interacted on insta and sent messages to eachother on TV. But then she got dragged into this political argument by anti-feminists and her being a fan of mamamoo was used as proof to say she was a feminist, along with her short hair and the President of Korea had to come forward and tell people to calm the F down and leave her alone. It was wild.

And Solar finally got her hair back on track from all the bleaching damage and ended up getting a brand deal in the process.

• omg this is soooo wild. I missed every single of these things.

It's nice to see the members getting so much work, but I hope they're not being overworked. But at least for Solar, it looks like she does it all because she wants and loves to.

RBW is such a messy company, I wonder why the girls never left together and signed under a different one.

• omg this is soooo wild. I missed every single of these things.

It's nice to see the members getting so much work, but I hope they're not being overworked. But at least for Solar, it looks like she does it all because she wants and loves to.

RBW is such a messy company, I wonder why the girls never left together and signed under a different one.

Yeah they aren't DW, especially since to re-sign RBW would have to offer them some major benefits. I think they stayed because they like the freedom, RBW may be messy but they can control pretty much every aspect of their lives and careers. Most companies would have not allowed them to do 99% of the stuff they have done in public or said.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!