Why is it so hard for ifans to realize different culture might be more sensitive to certain things?

• Have you noticed this? Anytime netizens get upset over something the usual ifan response is "they're just making a big deal because they are haters". I understand that it's wrong to criticize people's personal lives, but if it involves the society, who is you to tell them not to be angry?

Koreans are particularly sensitive about childhood bullying and making light of mass casualties. Like haven't you heard of the Sewol disaster or June Struggle? There's historical things Koreans experienced or learned through their elders as painful memories. Your oppas are not above society. Sorry to say it, but it's the truth.

• you need to give proper examples like monalisalove said

I agree i fans sometimes act very ignorant but you gotta admit k netz makes issues out of no issues many times too so there's no point in debating such a broad topic if you don't narrow it down

• you need to give proper examples like monalisalove said

I agree i fans sometimes act very ignorant but you gotta admit k netz makes issues out of no issues many times too so there's no point in debating such a broad topic if you don't narrow it down

Yes, we should obviously respect the culture, but does the said "culture" respect humans rights?? That's the question.

• Yes, we should obviously respect the culture, but does the said "culture" respect humans rights?? That's the question.

you've got a point ! :dancer:

I honestly don't understand how some people can still advocate for certain cultures AND religions when they don't respect basic human rights

I'm not really talking about SK culture right now, they still good in a big picture, but some stuff they claim to be normal (e.g. canceling people for having families) is srsly messed up

• you've got a point ! :dancer:

I honestly don't understand how some people can still advocate for certain cultures AND religions when they don't respect basic human rights

I'm not really talking about SK culture right now, they still good in a big picture, but some stuff they claim to be normal (e.g. canceling people for having families) is srsly messed up

Yes, I'm not talking about SK anymore kkk it's about the world. We have different cultures and we should respect it, buuuut when some ridiculous things are used as "it's their culture" b, no! It's against any human rights so we won't tolerate neither play dumb just for a false respect over PREJUDICE!

• Another example: Koreans do not take racism or colorism as seriously as in America or European countries from what I've seen. Kpop companies only do something when the fan reaction gets too out of hand (see aespa's Giselle as a recent occurrence of this); otherwise they're completely silent and let the incident pass.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• I think context is important here. Which mass casualty event was mad light of? The recent earthquake was a 4.9 and as far as I've seen, has zero reported casualties. The strongest earthquake to ever hit SK happened in 2016. There were no fatalities. A 5.4 hit in 2017. No fatalities though 15 people were hospitalized. 100 people did die in SK's deadliest earthquake but that was in 779. So if this is about the earthquake, comparing it to a mass casualty event is a bit of a stretch.

• Have you noticed this? Anytime netizens get upset over something the usual ifan response is "they're just making a big deal because they are haters". I understand that it's wrong to criticize people's personal lives, but if it involves the society, who is you to tell them not to be angry?

Koreans are particularly sensitive about childhood bullying and making light of mass casualties. Like haven't you heard of the Sewol disaster or June Struggle? There's historical things Koreans experienced or learned through their elders as painful memories. Your oppas are not above society. Sorry to say it, but it's the truth.

Thanks for trying but getting ifans to have any respect or real knowledge what so ever regarding Korean culture is a doomed mission.

• Yes, I'm not talking about SK anymore kkk it's about the world. We have different cultures and we should respect it, buuuut when some ridiculous things are used as "it's their culture" b, no! It's against any human rights so we won't tolerate neither play dumb just for a false respect over PREJUDICE!

agreed....no culture or religion should ever be put higher than human rights... smh this world

besides culture is a fluid thing, not something sacred nobody can touch but that's a topic for a different discussion :pepepizza:

• sir where are the reciepts lmaoo

ifans have been taking things like bullying just as seriously lmao

• agreed....no culture or religion should ever be put higher than human rights... smh this world

besides culture is a fluid thing, not something sacred nobody can touch but that's a topic for a different discussion :pepepizza:

Yes and sorry op, I derailed your thread but as you weren't specific i just thought about sharing my overall opinion over CULTURE. If you tell me the subject later then maybe I'll come again to interact :joy:

• I think context is important here. Which mass casualty event was mad light of? The recent earthquake was a 4.9 and as far as I've seen, has zero reported casualties. The strongest earthquake to ever hit SK happened in 2016. There were no fatalities. A 5.4 hit in 2017. No fatalities though 15 people were hospitalized. 100 people did die in SK's deadliest earthquake but that was in 779. So if this is about the earthquake, comparing it to a mass casualty event is a bit of a stretch.

This is why Koreans don't like ifans. It's not about the specific occurrence, but about the potential. It's like a lot of POCs were traumatized during the Trump Insurrection, even though a POC didn't die that day. There was potential for danger. Anytime there's an alert Koreans are on the edge because it could mean anything. So some boy idols instantly dancing just like that, you don't think Koreans aren't going to be like noticing this?

• agreed....no culture or religion should ever be put higher than human rights... smh this world

Please tell me y'all are comparing idols being criticized to human rights around the world where people are literally being genocided and all other countries pretend it isn't happening

• Please tell me y'all are comparing idols being criticized to human rights around the world where people are literally being genocided and all other countries pretend it isn't happening

they're not dalnim and mona were just going on a side tangent discussing culture as a whole. they just went a bit off topic from the idols aspect of the discussion.

• Please tell me y'all are comparing idols being criticized to human rights around the world where people are literally being genocided and all other countries pretend it isn't happening

no we are not?? where?

we stopped talking about SK obviously and switched it to the worldwide issues

I said SK is still fine if you look at the big picture so go trough our comments properly before responding jeez

• isn't this the typical neocon justification for invasion in American politics?

can't deny it's used in politics.

politicians make use of human rights violations, sometimes they even make them up lol.

but mona's not American so she's not using it in that context i think.

• no we are not?? where?

we stopped talking about SK obviously and switched it to the worldwide issues

I said SK is still fine if you look at the big picture so go trough our comments properly before responding jeez

I see, i thought it was still about idols

• This is why Koreans don't like ifans. It's not about the specific occurrence, but about the potential. It's like a lot of POCs were traumatized during the Trump Insurrection, even though a POC didn't die that day. There was potential for danger. Anytime there's an alert Koreans are on the edge because it could mean anything. So some boy idols instantly dancing just like that, you don't think Koreans aren't going to be like noticing this?

Wasn't Doyoung one of the members involved. Is he not Korean? And the bullying scandals also involved several Koreans right? It's so weird to me to say that ifans are/ are not respecting Korean culture by virtue of which Koreans' side they took in a scandal. Koreans aren't a monolith and a bunch of comments from knetz don't determine what is Korean culture. I hope y'all don't judge U.S. culture by what my fellow citizens post on news articles and YouTube. Those are generally the loudest and craziest among us. Anyway, I'm first generation Korean-American so if I want more cultural context I'll go ask my mom.

• Sorry but the culture is not the point here, it's literally an individual matter and what you see as the "appropiate way" for an idol to act for a natural disaster, big earthquakes aren't even the usual thing on Korea. There are koreans who couldn't care less about someone making a joke about it and ifans who act like the earthquake happened on his town and as if people are emotionless entities that don't do jokes on anything seen as bad.

Neo got my back

bottom!Taeyong | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

• Wasn't Doyoung one of the members involved. Is he not Korean? And the bullying scandals also involved several Koreans right? It's so weird to me to say that ifans are/ are not respecting Korean culture by virtue of which Koreans' side they took in a scandal. Koreans aren't a monolith and a bunch of comments from knetz don't determine what is Korean culture. I hope y'all don't judge U.S. culture by what my fellow citizens post on news articles and YouTube. Those are generally the loudest and craziest among us. Anyway, I'm first generation Korean-American so if I want more cultural context I'll go ask my mom.

wait there's a scandal. wtf i need to go catch up sigh.

• Sorry but the culture is not the point here, it's literally an individual matter and what you see as the "appropiate way" for an idol to act for a natural disaster, big earthquakes aren't even the usual thing on Korea. There are koreans who couldn't care less about someone making a joke about it and ifans who act like the earthquake happened on his town and as if people are emotionless entities that don't do jokes on anything seen as bad.

So if Koreans make fun about other Korean's skin tones you think ifans should just stfu about if if they didn't like it?

• wait there's a scandal. wtf i need to go catch up sigh.

Yeah, nct was doing an interview or something when there was a 4.9 magnitude earthquake. The earthquake was fine. I don't think there was anyone hurt and haven't seen reports of big property damage or anything but people are upset cuz Doyoung brought up their song "earthquake" and a couple members sang and danced a bit apparently.

• So if Koreas make fun about other Korean's skin tones you think ifans should just stfu about if if they didn't like it?

why are you putting words in someone else's mouth and reaching?

when did the other user u quote say ifans should just stfu?

• Yeah, nct was doing an interview or something when there was a 4.9 magnitude earthquake. The earthquake was fine. I don't think there was anyone hurt and haven't seen reports of big property damage or anything but people are upset cuz Doyoung brought up their song "earthquake" and a couple members sang and danced a bit apparently.

wow. well, I personally have no issue with it. I think that idols are just under so much more scrutiny and even their smallest actions are way overanalyzed.

• Wait, isn't that what you're saying? If it's culturally okay for Koreans to mock skin tones, should ifans have an opinion or is that not respecting Korean culture?

I'm talking about the right of people to be upset, not the right to hurt others

Anyone has to right to be critical of others, that isn't the same as giving them free reign to dehumanize those they are upset by

The cultural element is WHAT mainly causes people to feel upset. In Korea it's different from that in the West

• So if Koreas make fun about other Korean's skin tones you think ifans should just stfu about if if they didn't like it?

I don't see the similarity. You are also comparing singing 3 secs of a song with the same name title as a punctual 4.9 earthquake they didn't even knew the magnitude of as a try to make a dumb joke, to colorism.

Neo got my back

bottom!Taeyong | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

• I think OP is talking about things like incidents with the rising sun flag. Honestly I think your average citizen (that obviously a kpop fan), much like koreans and americans, will mostly care about things that concern them, it's rarer to find someone without different standards. As an example: how americans care about super bowl and talking about how a big deal it is for artists whereas the rest of the world don't understand because they're more into world cup and go crazy for it.

• I don't see the similarity. You are also comparing singing 3 secs of a song with the same name title as a punctual 4.9 earthquake they didn't even knew the magnitude of as a try to make a dumb joke, to colorism.

This is what people aren't understanding, each culture has their own "triggers"

• I think OP is talking about things like incidents with the rising sun flag. Honestly I think your average citizen (that obviously a kpop fan), much like koreans and americans, will mostly care about things that concern them, it's rarer to find someone without different standards. As an example: how americans care about super bowl and talking about how a big deal it is for artists whereas the rest of the world don't understand because they're more into world cup and go crazy for it.

Oh, oh. Ooooooh. Thanks for doing op job if you are right and now i understand it and i do think you are right...

Nah he's just mad that boy groups get a "pass" because their handsome. I assume he gets called out on his bullshit in reality a lot.

• If the triggers imply never making a slight joke about it or be heavily criticized I'm against it, whatever the culture is.

People have gotten upset over certain clothes, words, hairstyles, chants, buildings, statues etc. It's not our place to try to school other culture's own unique perspectives

• This thread contains 38 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!