Bts is bigger than Adele and Taylor Swift?

Approved the thread.
  • thats what it looks like me thinks

• Right now that's what it looks like.

• Please don't let Swifties hear this ,they are scarier than all kpop stans combined.

• I feel they are bigger than adele but not taylor since she's pretty massive in asia as well. Hard to say still, so many variants to consider

• lmao they aren't bigger than taylor swift.

No fandom is scarier than armys.

I feel they are bigger than adele but not taylor since she's pretty massive in asia as well. Hard to say still, so many variants to consider

They have 15b streams on youtube this year while taylor has 3.6b.

They have 8b streams on spotify this year while taylor has 8.2b.

Taylor hasn't sold more than Twice even after releasing so many things this year. BTS have sold around 7m with single album and Japanese album.

Digital sales are incomparable. BTS are ahead of even adele.

I would say adele is close to BTS than taylor in success while taylor is close to BTS than adele in popularity. But BTS is #1 in both.

• :pepe-toast:

• Yes I think BTS is more global in a sense.

• Maybe Taylor. She hasn't been that relevant outside the us since ages ago. The last huge hit of hers that made impact world wide was that era of I knew you were trouble.

For adele, fandomwise yes no doubt. But she's huge with the public. Even here in my country where western artists aren't that relevant apart from a few hip-hop artists, her new song made waves. Easy on me was playing from everywhere on the very first day and I can tell you that never happens where I'm from. Songs take some a long time to get that mainstream but for adele it only took hours.

• Maybe Taylor. She hasn't been that relevant outside the us since ages ago. The last huge hit of hers that made impact world wide was that era of I knew you were trouble.

For adele, fandomwise yes no doubt. But she's huge with the public. Even here in my country where western artists aren't that relevant apart from a few hip-hop artists, her new song made waves. Easy on me was playing from everywhere on the very first day and I can tell you that never happens where I'm from. Songs take some time to get that mainstream but for adele it only took hours.

• Are you setting up twice? Taylor swift has sold 6M units alone in America. Pure sales are dead in the west. Units is what we have to go by.

I was talking about physical sales specifically. So how I am setting up Twice? Twice have sold more physicals than Taylor. Even NCT have. That's a fact.

Units include physical sales, streams and digital sales combined. No one knows the numbers separately other than RIAA.

• I was talking about physical sales specifically. So how I am setting up Twice? Twice have sold more physicals than Taylor. Even NCT have. That's a fact.

Units include physical sales, streams and digital sales combined. No one knows the numbers separately other than RIAA.

Western music industry doesn't depend on pure sales anymore. So nitpicking that area to show she isn't bigger is not working.

• In terms of fandom sure. In terms of recognition, in Asia sure but not America or Europe. Even my mom knows who TS is and she really doesn't keep up with celebs. Adele is someone you might be able to argue with in America just because her new song isn't doing the best in my city compared to hello or send my love to your new lover and she just doesn't have the fandom in America. I think Adele to a certain extent is more for older generations, like my younger sister nor cousin know who Adele is.

I will admit that in terms of global recognition it is probably BTS.

Keep in mind this is my perspective from what I see so other parts of America might be different.

• Western music industry doesn't depend on pure sales anymore. So nitpicking that area to show she isn't bigger is not working.

Where did I nitpick? I showed you youtube views, spotify streams, physical and digital sales. Do you have reading skills? If yes, use them.

• Let's all wait for ifpi 2021

• Where did I nitpick? I showed you youtube views, spotify streams, physical and digital sales. Do you have reading skills? If yes, use them.

Bts and kpop groups benefit heavily from fans inflating sales through physicals. I don't like you comparing her with nobodies like twice and nct. Swifties also do it but not same extent. Let's not act like a prime Taylor Swift in a pure sales dominated market was not selling bts numbers just in America itself.

• Bts ia more global whenever they make a comeback they chart #1 in so kany counties while no one knows these acts outside UK and US maybe aside Taylor's being famous in China.

• hard to compare since BTS by far bigger than them in fandom size

while i think Taylor Swift and Adele has bigger audience overall

• Please don't let Swifties hear this ,they are scarier than all kpop stans combined.

They are really scary. The way they came for that Jake actor was really scary to me. He might have been a douchebag but what the fans did was bullying. Was it ok to but someone like that because of a super old personal relationship?

• anyways, BTS being compared to Taylor Swift and Adele means they're in the big league.

• Currently and globally? I'd say yes they are now.

• 2020 and 2021 (even without an album out) yes

• Bts and kpop groups benefit heavily from fans inflating sales through physicals. I don't like you comparing her with nobodies like twice and nct. Swifties also do it but not same extent. Let's not act like a prime Taylor Swift in a pure sales dominated market was not selling bts numbers just in America itself.

Please, like Taylor hasn't been releasing like 10 versions of her recent albums and using vinyl sales to inflate her numbers. Her newer singles peak at #1 because of her fandom obsessive buying and then they freefall because her era of hit singles is over. Taylor peaked with 1989. Swifties are just the western equivalent of kpop stans.

As for Adele, her physical sales might be on a downward trend, but her songs still have the most impact and are heard by everyone and their mom.

Musical impact: Adele >>>> BTS and Taylor

Sales: BTS > Taylor > Adele

• globally, bts have been bigger than adele and ts for some time now

and they are on the way to break all the western records

• Each has a market where they are the no.1 one in. BTS in asia, Taylor in america, Adele in Europe. So its a relative in what part you consider more global. For fandoms I think Taylor and BTS have the strongest ones, with armys obviously being the bigger than the two. Adele has more of a public reach than the both of them as everyone and their mother checks her songs

• in terms of impact and importance: no

kpop and bts are still very niche in several places, you can't boil everything down to streams and album sales

• in terms of impact and importance: no

kpop and bts are still very niche in several places, you can't boil everything down to streams and album sales

I don't think it's right to put bts a kpop as the same league, bts has surpassed kpop as a whole they are an anomaly in that industry.

• Sales wise BTS is bigger than almost any other act. Public recognition, though? I doubt.

• Adele couldn’t beat BTS global streaming records so there’s that.

Sales wise BTS competitor was Adele but suddenly unlike BTS, Adele got affected by the physical market losing weight so there’s that too.

BTS does better than Taylor at streaming. Still pulled close to her numbers with no albums out whiles Taylor released albums this year.

According to billboard, BTS was the most streamed act of 2020 and going to be the most streamed act in 2021 so currently BTS is bigger than Adele and Taylor in just streams (NB: Billboard only counts western centric apps so most Asian streaming apps are not included putting BTS at a disadvantage)

Streams: BTS>Taylor>Adele

Sales: No brainer. BTS sold more than both of them with no album out. Adele sells more than Taylor imo because Taylor’s sales are inflated with so many versions, like 10 versions wth. That’s just a kpop act. And her fans mass but just like armys but even more pathetic as she slashed her digital sales to .38 cents.

Sales: BTS>Adele>Taylor

According to CHARTMASTER, BTS is the leading act with most units overall this decade so far. So the stats speak for themselves who is bigger. I intentionally left out tours because BTS puts them to dust. Taylor and Adele are impressive for selling out stadiums but suddenly they can only do it in western countries whiles BTS can do it everywhere.

Touring: BTS> Taylor >Adele(I only noticed Adele sold out wembley so far whiles Taylor has sold out multiple stadiums in the US)

Global recognition is a toss. Unlike these western acts who are white BTS is making all these records singing majorly in korean and being non white. Which to me is more impressive than the others. Still for popularity;

Taylor>Adele>BTS

These are based on current stats

• Another thing to consider is audience. Adele is really popular with an older generation but my sister whose in 10th grade had no idea who she was. The only song she knew was Hello but didn't know Adele was the singer. Same with my cousins. For BTS it was the same with my cousins. They knew Dynamite and have heard of BTS but that is about it. Taylor is definitely the most globally recognized but I feel like it could be a toss up between BTS and Adele. While Adele definitely has Europe, I don't think she has much reach outside of Europe and some of North America. A lot of my relatives in India don't know the first thing about Adele. But they do know dynamite and some know BTS. I think with Adele a lot of people are stuck in the past with her legacy but a lot of my family friends who are younger then 15 didn't know anything about Adele.

• This thread contains 20 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!