Why redvelvet was not popular like blackpink and twice?

• Redvelvet as popular hit songs and their discography is great too and members are likeable too and they irene talent wise and songs they are a perfect group to become as big as bp and twice but somehow they fall behind these compared to these groups I think they debuted to early for 3rd gen girl groups while top groups snsd and 2ne1 still active and they are also first girl group to debut from big 3 but what u think of main reason

• Maybe i introduce you to some punctuation marks; a few commas and full stops wouldn’t hurt anyone just so you know :pepestare:

• change of concept

twice fandom is full of people who liked their cute concept and knew what they'll get every comeback so they were sure to like it

same for Blackpink, they only release Girl crush concept so their fans know that they'll like their next comeback because they can easily predict what they'll do for their cb

the same things can't be say about Red velvet

they couldn't build a big fanbase because they were twisting concept very often, one time they would drop a weird experimental song, then a cute song, and after they would comeback with a classy "girl crush" concept

Unless you liked unpredictable things , it was hard to fully enjoy red velvet, because one cb you would like what they release and the next 2 comeback no

I personally always liked the fact that they were unpredictable and it's always fun to trying to guess with what type of concept they would comeback and what music style but i can completely understand that it was not for everybody

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• i think it didn't help that they were experimental

Twice is known as cute gg, while Blackpink is girl crush, but Red Velvet????

personally i think they should have stick to these kind of concepts, it really suit them well

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• my faves. But I also liked Red Flavor and Peekaboo

• After Psycho, Red Velvet was not active and the group did not CB for 2 years. I think they made a good comeback after all. They have opened a new clean slate. I don't know what SM will do but they will promote because they make money from Red Velvet. RV is popular and successful. Their vocals and music were adequately praised by critics. Red Velvet music is super according to us fans. I think Red Velvet fans aren't obsessed, but they do have a loyal following. And Red Velvet fans are logical and realistic. If they had fanatical fans, they'd be more popular. That's why when there is an incident about the Red Velvet members, you will usually see more objective comments, apart from a few akgae solo fans. :thumbup:

• red velvet have many casual stans who only like some of their songs. Like you could be obsessed with bad boy but hate zimzalabim or vice versa and that can push some fans away. For people who like girl crush, red velvet can be a hit or miss. Same with people who like their other concepts more. If you like a blackpink or a twice song, there's a higher chance you like their whole discography cause they mostly stick to the same concept and sound and are more marketable because of this. Fans also know better what to expect. For me, red velvet was the first girlgroup I liked, but I remember my first impression of them wasn't so good, cause I thought power up is a weird song and expected all of their songs to be like that.

• Now hold up ill tell you my two cents after addressing some nonsense in this thread.

You've gotta be straight up deaf if you think twice never switched up their concepts.

Twice has actually experimented quite a bit with their sound contrary to the bullshit

takes this thread. Legitmate music critics love em and their versatality but looks like twice will never be good enough for akp music critics that stan for mUsIc.

External Content twitter.com

Desbundar

• I don't get this whole concept change is a bad thing for a group take. Unpopular opinion but experimenting is always a strength for a group to get a fanbase and I'll die on that hill. Even for groups like bts, mamamamoo and twice. There's always a chance that a fan will stumble onto something they like and explore the rest of the discography.

It's because rv changed concept that they got popular if rv only did velvet concepts red flavour or ICC would have never happened which helped them gain recognition in sk. If rv only did bright concepts they wouldn't have had bad boy, peekaboo or psycho which many people on akp love more their their red side.

In comparison to rv, aespa straight up puts out whacky concepts about Kwangya, Naevis and have really unique structure changes in their song that are either hated or loved. Aespa's discography is anything but gp friendly or consistent.

Within a year they put out blackmamba followed by forever, next level and savage. The latter 2 are smash super hits. This whole being experimental held them back nonsense has to go. Why didn't it affect aespa then? They could've also gone the safer happiness, one of these nights and ice cream cake route instead of kwangya and naevis every other comeback? They still hit big with two experimental songs yet are called "spoiled" and "overpromoted". Like pick a narrative.

Desbundar

• Correct me if I'm wrong but before 2019, RV was more popular than BP in Korea, they were the second most popular gg just behind twice

Things only got difficult after Irene scandal

Nope. Blackpink were more popular/ bigger since 2018.

Irene scandal was late 2020 as well so nothing really changed much for them b4 then.

Red Velvet has always been hit or miss with the gp due to their choice of songs.

• I dont actually think changing of concepts is the main reason for it. Twice and Blackpink changes concepts now and then as well but still can maintain the same type of success

Its more of song choice by SM, they dont always choose songs which they think will be a hit in kor

• Not I-fans saying once again that Red Velvet should have stick to their velvet concept. The group's name is Red Velvet for a reason. Reveluvs love the red and velvet concept, their versatility is one of their strenghts and their discography is that good because they explored a lot their red and velvet side. At the end of the day, Red Velvet is still a very successful Kpop group loved by their fans for what they are and not what they should have been to be more popular. I can understand liking a signature sound and sticking to it but I have never really understood the obsession with concepts. To each their own but music comes first to me.

dbed960a80097dc7d9eac973b7be5f732ec99c98.gifv  1f251c53cf32e8a39ff30f639687b517129b0205.gifv  8ce6cd0f2729463446ccbc09563cc6ad65a72d09.gifv

• Red Velvet is well-known in Korea. They use a range of varieties while singing. The band has a few of many tracks that have topped the list.

Nonetheless, Blackpink is the worldwide popular girl group. It's a Global Phenomenon!

BLACKPINK - The 4 Members of a Global Phenomenon! - Best of Korea
    What is Blackpink and why is everyone talking about them? Blackpink is the four-member K-pop girl group that is taking over the world and here is the 411 on
    bestofkorea.com

• The drastic change of concept and the title track choice may not have been to lots of ppl liking. I myself like how Red Velvet was managed music wise to the point it's one of my favorite GGs. I agree what someone said earlier here that other groups do experiment more than ppl think with their music however I do think they mostly do it with bsides and RV has the guts to use those songs as title tracks when they have more easy to listen songs on their albums sometimes.

• inconsistent music quality and concept.

bad boy and psycho are among the best songs and most cinematic mvs ever.

but rv also has some of the worst, imo.

they're not consistent enough to stan (but definitely worth a listen).

drastic swings in concepts hurt fan retention.

• Cause people weren't ready for how musically superior they are :yesr:

Facts only!

• Hot take: the group chemistry is not very stannable.

Twice has a bright, cheery energy and lots of the members are goofy and give good fanservice. BlackPink has the untouchable, luxurious glamazon vibe that fans love. Both groups are fun to watch on stage usually.

For Red Velvet though, something about them is less addictive, even though they are musically on the same level.

• Now hold up ill tell you my two cents after addressing some nonsense in this thread.

You've gotta be straight up deaf if you think twice never switched up their concepts.

Twice didn't switch concepts at ALL during their first four years, while they were getting big. Once they were mega-stars then they started giving us more mature (and vastly superior, IMHO) concepts. But Red Velvet was all over the place right from the beginning. I don't think they have ever released two MV's in a row that sounded like they came from the same group.

I think the public had a hard time getting a grasp on what RV was supposed to be, and it limited their growth. Queendom is their best song/MV in years.

• should I give different perspectives?

At that time during their debut, SNSD ( #1 at their gen) still Big/haven't declined yet. When SNSD declines, it's already too late for them.

History teached us, after #1 Girl group the next gg that come out in the same company can't be the #1 gg for their gen unless the main group were sabotaged by their company or the group declined naturally. They have chances to be #1 gg in their gen until there is another gg taking #1 vacant spot away and it's already too late for them and they should be happy battling for #2.

I don't know why but this is interesting information.

• In my opinion Itzy have also reached a level of popularity outside of Korea above Red Velvet too.

I think when touring is back on we'll see that further with a bigger demand and bigger venues for Itzy too and probably Aespa.

Red Velvet have just never been able to find significant sized fanbases outside of Korea, maybe in China? But in others places they seem to be a lot of peoples 2nd or 3rd favourite group so that's always kept them at a level of huge popularity, but always kept them from taking that second step over the line to maybe 400-500 thousand selling albums, big arena tours, maybe a dome concert or two.

For me I think the real issue is, in spite of reveluvs claims, Red Velvet have 0 stan attractors in their group. They have great music, big talent, a diverse discography, top visuals and a huge agency backing them! Literally every ingredient needed to take them to the next level.

But they seem, at least for me, to lack that fan engagement. That ability to attract a strong core fandom in many countries. Maybe being all Korean has been a disadvantage in some ways too.

• Twice didn't switch concepts at ALL during their first four years, while they were getting big. Once they were mega-stars then they started giving us more mature (and vastly superior, IMHO) concepts. But Red Velvet was all over the place right from the beginning. I don't think they have ever released two MV's in a row that sounded like they came from the same group.

I think the public had a hard time getting a grasp on what RV was supposed to be, and it limited their growth. Queendom is their best song/MV in years.

Twice didn't switch concepts at all?! In the first four years? Ok let's throw away 2021. Let's throw away 2020 which has a trove of critically treasured songs aswell.

Now are we gonna pretend 24/7 (2017),Like a fool(2015), one in a million(2016), signal(2017), jaljayo good night(2017), sunset (2018), girls like us(2019), turtle(2017), strawberry (2019), shot thru the heart (2018), breakthrough (2019), next page(2016), pit a pat(2016), 21:29(2019), get loud(2019) doesn't exist?

Some of their highest rated album's are the highest in kpop let alone ggs who's fandoms try to look down on them for lacking QuAliTy.

Most of the bsides in the recent album's that kpop fans love have alot of contribution in either lyrics or production from the members which is fantastic but they've done so on a smaller scale before aswell.

It's not that they've had shitty albums. It's just the first time people bothered to check out twice bsides. Like I've pointed out the quality and versatality has always been there. It's this edgy misconception that good music has to be dark, mature and deep. Music is music quality is quality. The critics see through this bias but kpopies won't.

Desbundar

• Now are we gonna pretend 24/7 (2017),Like a fool(2015), one in a million(2016), signal(2017), jaljayo good night(2017), sunset (2018), girls like us(2019), turtle(2017), strawberry (2019), shot thru the heart (2018), breakthrough (2019), next page(2016), pit a pat(2016), 21:29(2019), get loud(2019) doesn't exist?

thats not really how it works though, b-sides are mostly ignored by the GP and non fans, so for their public perception, they did not switch their concept until Fancy / Feel Special

• you can't blame people that don't know . For example, I don't know many of the songs you mentioned so for us non-fans twice didn't switch to different concepts until recently like the last 2 years maybe

• I'm sorry when did Red Velvet switch concepts at all? As I know it never.

Seriously, the concept was always Red and Velvet tracks as they fell into two distinct sounds, a concept they still use today.

What did I miss? The girl crush? The electronic pop? The retro dance? Cos as I know it Red Velvet in 2021 is putting out the conceptually same music as they have for years. What are ya'll talking about? Zimzala fucking bim?

• Redvelvet as popular hit songs and their discography is great too and members are likeable too and they irene talent wise and songs they are a perfect group to become as big as bp and twice but somehow they fall behind these compared to these groups I think they debuted to early for 3rd gen girl groups while top groups snsd and 2ne1 still active and they are also first girl group to debut from big 3 but what u think of main reason

Timing of comebacks + the swapping of certain tracks ie Rookie after Bad Boy but that is what made them unique. Ultimately, we don't know and sometimes can't tell. No one imagined BTS, who were called BAP copycats at first would make it so big, or Twice, who were not meant to be the group that would make JYP big, did just that and saved JYP from dropping out of the Big 3.

I mean ngl I don't care. I genuinely think Red Velvet has it best out of all 3 top groups now. They debuted earlier, but have each had the strongest solo individual promotions of any SM female group.

Yeri has acting and she's doing so well, Wendy is on a lot of variety and her singing technique has been stable since debut, a prime candidate for musicals/teaching where she could make buck if not a solo artist. Joy is dabbling in everything and she could be a queen on OSTs...maybe even collabs like her and Crush. Seulgi has everything to be a solo artist, and Irene has modelling, I can see her being a fashion muse.

They don't have the obsessive thing as bad as Blackpink, and they don't need to worry about lack of solo promotions like Twice. They have stable careers and are leaving behind a great legacy music-wise. There won't be a group whose music ages as well as RV for many people. They've worked hard though ups and downs. So what if they're not the most popular? I'd argue they're the most respected.

• This thread contains 28 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!