What do you think about that Youtube deleted the visible dislikes?

• I came across that Youtube is now stopping to show dislikes on videos. I am not talking about videos where the likes are also hidden. I mean in general, so no mather if you upload a video or see videos of whatever channel, it only will show you the likes

I saw coments on a German tech-website about it where many people said that this is a wrong move by Youtube because:

• It will push unusfull tutorials since people can't see no more that they are about to get scammed
    • The owner of the video can also filter coments they don't like so a actually not working video will look more like if it should work since people can make their content look more usefull by not having bad coments and no dislikes
    • It will mostly infect young children and teenager who don't know that the content of a video can be harmfull to them when they don't see dislikes
    • The content creators can make themself act more powerfull wich in the worst case can make that they pretend that whatever nonsense they do it would be cool and stuff since nobody can see how many people disliked the video

The only usefull point is of cause: people who desperatly want to hate on a creater for whatever reason can't dislike the videos anymore, wich is good, but it has a lot negative downsites for many people

IDK if all countries have the dislikes don't showing allready, but I noticed it under 6 MV and 2 docutmentations that the dislikes are gone allready.

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• that's dumb.

I mean, I don't know about it pushing unhelpful tutorials or whatever, but dislikes shouldn't be hidden by YouTube... like that's just people voicing their opinions. Completely fine.

Of course, it's laughable YouTube tries to tackle non issues like this when they have wayy worse stuff they can't handle properly on their website, but I digress...

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• bunnyviolet  SandyBee3

I just found this video about the curent situation

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It's terrible!! Youtube really need to stop making up their own ideas and start listening to what the public and it's creators want. Why do they think removing the dislike option will be beneficial to youtube?

Youtube's personal channel called "Youtube creators" made a video on that and all they said was "to protect the creators from targeted hate blah blah" and "no they don't do it cause Youtube-Rewiend happend" aaah

• The removal of dislikes is a terrible decision for a variety of reasons.

1. Dislikes are a great way to signal quality or lack thereof, so if you are looking for a good tutorial or instruction video where the speaker gives clear and helpful instructions, likes and dislikes allow you to easily sort through videos relating to what you are trying to find. Removing dislikes makes this process much more difficult and time consuming.

2. Apart from the inconvenience (which is honestly enormous when you consider that billions of people use the site for such purposes every single day), it also means that extremists who only care about promoting their ideology will be given an even bigger advantage over moderates now as, unlike those actually taking the time to verify the quality of the video, they will be able to like and comment on videos that appear to support their stance at a far faster rate ensuring that partisan and extreme content which studies have already shown increase both positive and negative engagement (the only negative form of engagement after this policy is implemented being comments which also boost the amount of views a video gets as the number of comments is one of the statistics YouTubes systems take into account when figuring out which videos to promote) becomes far more popular and will contribute to increased political polarization and the acceleration of the political binary in nations where YouTube is used to any significant extent.

3. The fact that a content creator can delete comments they don't like means that those who don't have the ability to distinguish between truth and fiction now lose not only the ability to look at the like / dislike bar and see if something fishy is going on but now their ability to find a comment which debunks the lies within the video are also far more difficult (even impossible if the content creator is determined enough) to find. This will lead to the spread of disinformation and clickbait and ultimately make it so that provocative content is given even more of an advantage over actual quality content in terms of what gets consumed.

4. Apart from the issues which are created by this decision, it also doesn't fix anything as the content creator would still be able to see the amount of dislikes if they go to look at their statistics and they can already turn off dislikes and comments as of now.

• I never cared about it, I mostly just check the comment section to see if some tutorial is good or not but I can understand where people are coming from

• bunnyviolet  SandyBee3

I just found this video about the curent situation

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I agree to what he says in the video, the like dislike ratio was useful to determine if a video was worth watching. Now you are kinda forced to watch the whole thing until you realize it was a waste of time. Cause it’s true, I use YouTube to search for things as well, especially when it’s for education, tutorials or DIY, a very high dislike count could tell me the video won’t be helpful.

• Great points… didn’t even thought about these content creators.

Now extremists of all kind can upload videos with a lot of nonsense and it’s hard for you to find out if they are saying the truth.

This whole decision feels like politics tbh.

• Now extremists of all kind can upload videos with a lot of nonsense and it’s hard for you to find out if they are saying the truth.

This whole decision feels like politics tbh.

On the German tech website "Netz-Politik" a guy wrote a article on what he thinks of the dislikes going to be deleted, wich was a stupid article cause he wrote in the way as if Youtube bought him to post that... and many people comented their own thoughts under that article and one user wrote that this is a problem with mainly bad politicle parties in the future. Let's say your party is against refugees, calls the climate change a joke and most member of your party are flat-earthers or a Karen,... people in the past would rate your partie's videos let's say 100 likes but 30.000 dislikes since all you preech in your promotional videos was 1) how to not let refugees into the country 2) how women belong into the kitchen 3) how basic human rights are a joke 4) that the global climate crissis was made up by big companies ... it's just fair that this had 30.000 dislikes if all you say is "Vote us and we send refugees back to Syria!" if you get what I mean. And as you can see the trend in some countries, right-winged parties are getting more popular since more and more refugees come to different countries around the world. A Karen or flat-erather or right-winged human would see the likes and not the dislikes and thinks that everyone of the let's say 200.000 people who saw it was thinking the same mindset as the guy who made the political video in wich they spreed all the nonsense, because "I don't see any dislikes so who said them forcing refugees to go back to Syria was a bad idea?"

• I don't like it as it's great for protecting political parties and other powerful organizations for example it's harder to argue the growing dislike for CBC in my country because the videos around the pandemic were getting mass dislikes and since I didn't screenshot it the knowledge of this public hatred is known only to CBC higher ups.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!