are you a "music expert"?

• Or would you consider yourself one?

Well... I don't think I'm a music expert.

I do enjoy listening to music. (I don't know, who doesn't?)

I don't think I'm an expert in anything.

Well... I do often read books. (both non-fiction and fiction)

And sometimes have wanted to study language and literature, but I wouldn't call myself "language expert" or "literature expert"

But not everyone needs to be an expert.

I guess what I would consider a music expert is someone, who knows much about:

• the history of music (and also the history about some of the different genres)
    • some of the classical composers
    • instruments (probably also know how to play at least 3 of them)

Perhaps also has a PhD in music and has studied about it in school. (and gone to some music school)

I feel like some songwriters, singers, composers, musicians etc... are music experts.

And then there are also music teachers and vocal coaches, who I feel might be considered music expert.

Well... I can play the piano kind of, but I don't think I have played the piano this year.

I did learn how to play the piano in a music school. (even though I kind of knew how to play it, before I learned.)

My piano skills haven't improved though and I'm not a "piano expert".

I do know how to play some songs on the piano, including the "tango" song that I learned there.

I'm kind of good at singing, or at least, I have been told many times "Wow, you're such a good singer.", and I don't feel like they are being sarcastic or anything, when they say it.

I have sometimes had thoughts about becoming a singer, but I would rather be just a lyricist than a singer.

Well... I don't think I would be good at composing, so I would rather be writing lyrics.

I often write poems and I know that some poems have turned into songs.

I remember when an author was visiting my school and told us that two of her poems had turned into songs. (she has also written lyrics for some songs by a very famous singer from our country.)

Well... and when I talk about songs, I don't always know how to talk about them.

Like I guess the way that I talk about some songs, you can tell that I'm not a music expert. (or a music reviewer)

But the way I talk about them is mostly "I like this song and the chorus is really catchy" (like I mostly talk about how I personally feel about the song)

Like the way I talk about "Inception" by ATEEZ is kind of like this:

A song I fell in love with at first listen.

I literally was like "I'm in love"

The "꿈에 살아" part gives me goosebumps.

I interpret this song as being about first one-sided love.

An expert would probably talk like this:

Inception is an urban-style EDM song, which combines softness and intensity.

It expresses the longing for an unattainable being as if one had a dream in a dream.

The song's narrative is developed along with an emotional melody on a strong beat, which highlights their emotional lines that express it delicately.

You can feel the boyishness of the dreamy and sentimental members that have never been seen before.

(Okay, this was based on what KQ said about it)

I don't think I can always tell what genre a song is. (I mean there are times when it is less obvious for me.)

And sometimes I think I have trouble explaining a song.

Like I have said that Promise by ATEEZ has a "summery melody" and that The Boyz's "Kingdom Come" sounds "latin".

Yup, I'm not a music expert.

• No, but I know what I like and what I don't like regardless of what experts say.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I would say so especially groups and songs from the 70's/80's as that's the music I was listening to when I was young. It's the soundtrack of my teens and know just about every group/song then. I often win pop quizzes.

• No, not at all.

I love listening to music, I've learned about history of it, I can play piano, used to sing in a choir, have some musicians in my family and that's it.

Edited once, last by keaji ().

• Not at all. Not even close to it.

I love music more than the average person does, though. I listen to it a lot and love how it makes me feel. Just being there at a show and absorbing the energy. Not everyone prioritizes that.

No, not at all.

I love listening to music, I've learned about history of it, I can play piano, used to sing in a choir, have some musicians in my family and that's it.

reported both of you for not having the requisite PHDs in kpop that is required for AKP...

and to think that one is a mod and the other is my fellow professor!!!!

• reported both of you for not having the requisite PHDs in kpop that is required for AKP...

and to think that one is a mod and the other is my fellow professor!!!!

Hahaha sorry colleague to disappoint you. I'll still try my best to do researches on every topic 🤓

• No.

I know how to play Erhu, Violin, and Piano, but that's because I have a good ear. I never studied and wasted all of my time learning to play the songs I liked instead of the ones I was supposed to practice.

I'm oddly sensitive when it comes to music and really can't appreciate something just for its complexity alone. Unpleasant sounds give me something akin to anxiety where my heart rate goes up and I start to sweat.

I once started to cry after enduring an hour of abstract session jazz. It was incredibly embarrassing but I couldn't take it anymore.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!