just a Kpop tought:

• Most of you are outraged by the fact that idols debut at a very young age but call idols who are in their early 30s "old"

Sadly, it's a vicious cycle, since the kpop industry is so crowded and idol groups are made to be disposable. But maybe if some of yall would stop with the ageism once and for all, companies would start to debut older people and treasure them for more time instead of debuting brand new groups every two years.

It's like a domino effect

• Yeah when people get shocked at the early debut ages it makes me wonder how they would have reacted to the 2nd gen debut ages of 14/15 lol it was very common to have the youngest members of groups debut at that age.

But then they also here CALLING 30 OLD LIKE PUT THEM IN THE RETIREMENT HOME JESUS OK

~ ω

• Yeah when people get shocked at the early debut ages it makes me wonder how they would have reacted to the 2nd gen debut ages of 14/15 lol it was very common to have the youngest members of groups debut at that age.

Exactly, freaking Boa debuted at 13, this thing is not more common now it's just that most stans weren't even born when Boa or Taemin debuted so they don't know it

But then they also here CALLING 30 OLD LIKE PUT THEM IN THE RETIREMENT HOME JESUS OK

yea it's weird..

• I mean, as the cliche goes, music is universal. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• I think the ageism has to do with a lot of kpop stans being young themselves and seeing 30 year olds as these adults which they can't relate to. However I wanna say that just because idols shelf lifespan is short doesn't mean that debuting kids is okay. I don't care if it happened before, it doesn't make it right. Kids can't consent to being worked to the bone, they can't consent to having creeps as fans and staff members.

yea I agree, but at the same time it's not that young western Kpop stans don't know about western celebrities like Bruno Mars, Adele or Niki Minaj - they know that older acts can be and are very succesful

Hell, even Ariana Grande who is the teen star of this generation could be old for some Kpop stans.

• Debuting older people in the past was kind of ...I mean ... in 2018 (I think it was 2018) as N.tic debuted Jion was allready 31 years old and damn he looked so creepy with the amount of plastic srgery he had, that people only looked at the group like "ew what an old creep" On the other hand as a group like Celeb Five existed people were totally into the idea that mid 40-women would sing/dance to 80s-styled songs but the group stoped after not too long and people also forgot about them quit fast. In many companys people will have the "oh wow" moment when at least 2 member are over 22 when they debut and that is allready overwhelming enough for some people. KB of OnlyOneOf btw is 29 years old and debuted as he was 27. Cause of that age his agency tried to hide in the beginning how old he was to not make fans getting mad that he debuted at that age. He was just 27 and if people would've known how old he was back than they most likly would've been pissed for no reason ... I also remember how some people allready got mad back as Park Bom debuted and was 25 ...

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• you're right I didn't even think about that, what is it about kpop that makes people extra shallow then? treating idols harsher. Idk

people see idols as disposable, they are not treated as aritsts but as disposable dolls.

actually companies pushed that notion into us a long time ago (...) In fact remember I was shocked at the idea of a new JYP girl group debuting next year when ITZY debuted in freaking 2019! like Hello??? They are still in their prime

• Debuting older people in the past was kind of ...I mean ... in 2018 (I think it was 2018) as N.tic debuted Jion was allready 31 years old and damn he looked so creepy with the amount of plastic srgery he had, that people only looked at the group like "ew what an old creep" On the other hand as a group like Celeb Five existed people were totally into the idea that mid 40-women would sing/dance to 80s-styled songs but the group stoped after not too long and people also forgot about them quit fast. In many companys people will have the "oh wow" moment when at least 2 member are over 22 when they debut and that is allready overwhelming enough for some people. KB of OnlyOneOf btw is 29 years old and debuted as he was 27. Cause of that age his agency tried to hide in the beginning how old he was to not make fans getting mad that he debuted at that age. He was just 27 and if people would've known how old he was back than they most likly would've been pissed for no reason ... I also remember how some people allready got mad back as Park Bom debuted and was 25 ...

this entire thing you wrote is weird af

• Agreed...but I think k fans are harsher than i fans in this regard...but anyway being an idol is not just about music so I don't think this this vicious cycle can be broken easily...as long as k pop aims mainly for teenage audiance, not much will change but then the whole idol culture is about having young easily impressionable audience so...idk I don't think this can be resolved

• Agreed...but I think k fans are harsher than i fans in this regard...but anyway being an idol is not just about music so I don't think this this vicious cycle can be broken easily...as long as k pop aims mainly for teenage audiance, not much will change but then the whole idol culture is about having young easily impressionable audience so...idk I don't think this can be resolved

yea,, sadly I don't see it happening either, and yes, korean audiences are harsher in this regard,,, but it's weird to see western fans having that mentality since we see people in their 30s being succesful in the music industry

• yea,, sadly I don't see it happening either, and yes, korean audiences are harsher in this regard,,, but it's weird to see western fans having that mentality since we see people in their 30s being succesful in the music industry

yeah I agree, I guess i fans are influenced by k fans mob mentality :annoyedk:

• well I have nothing against older idols but it's especially the older female idols that get the brunt of it...

history and precedent have shown us that GG who resign after their first 7 year stint is rare

GG who have ALL their members resign is rarer

GG who have all their members resign and then promote as a group is the rarest

and GG who have ALL their members resign and then promote SUCCESSFULLY as a group is an unicorn

• its because i can't simp over oppa if he's old enough to be my dad :pleading:

• that's another problem that doesn't have to do with ageism at all. Normally GG disband earlier than boy groups because they don't sell as much albums as boy groups on average

• that's another problem that doesn't have to do with ageism at all. Normally GG disband earlier than boy groups because they don't sell as much albums as boy groups on average

I would disagree...I think that ageism is an issue since the older the female idols are they tend to get replaced by newer "fresher" options or alternatively they don't really want to be idols anymore and want to start a family or children or otehr ventures such as acting...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!