Why the visual position is very stupid and dumb

• In all honesty, why do we all care so much about visuals. Who cares how pretty someone is, this is why I find the “Visual” position so degrading (to females a lot more) it’s mean to the idol and the group. Imagine, your given the visual position, and now everyone only remembers you for is how beautiful you are, not you actual talents. Also, Kpop idols strive for perfection so much because of the Korean public and their beauty standards over their, so imagine how sad it must feel to know your in a group and your not pretty enough to be a visual. Take RV as this example. I think “Face of the group” is much better because you represent the concept the group carries which makes 100x more sense. :/

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• Agreed, you're basically telling idols: "hey you're prettier so you get a special name"

• Visual position is what leads the group projects on the group and you can get alot more exposure for the group face of the group is just how popular you are

When I'm with you, a magical thing happens

• Hyunjin literally said he didn't want to be considered the group's visual for that very reason but I guess people just forgot about it :(

Face of the group is usually completely different from the visual though

visual is not always a bad position

• I'm going to be a contrarian and say I love the visual position (well at least the official visual position)

its so much fun and different from other western groups or whatever.

• visual is not always a bad position

Not always no but the majority of the talking is still for their looks instead of skills which can be tiring when one works for so many years to just have that talent ignored because of their pretty face. The visual position is important but I kinda wish that looks weren't sometimes all the fans focus on

• Not always no but the majority of the talking is still for their looks instead of skills which can be tiring when one works for so many years to just have that talent ignored because of their pretty face. The visual position is important but I kinda wish that looks weren't sometimes all the fans focus on

uh sorry never heard I think you are talking about fake fans or akagae will do that only visual position is for entertainment where you can give your group more position not about looks

• It follows Korean cultural practice to have more defined hierarchical roles.

The visual is designated to the one who is considered to fit Korean beauty standards and act as a public hook to draw people to the group. There also seems to be some overlap/blending into a "face of the group".

Yoona is often considered a prototype for the visual. Popular and loved by the general public, known for acting and hosting, brand endorsement and modeling. She serves as an easy go to face and representation for the group.

In reality the West has "a visual" role. It simply doesn't explicitly call it that. But look at almost any girl group or boy group. There's always a member with widespread public appeal, often visual appeal explicitly, that acts as a public/fan draw and is pushed as such.

What was Justin Timberlake if not the visual of NSYNC. Older reference maybe for some but I'm sure there'd be newer examples.

I think the perception of it as being the talentless one is an incorrect interpretation.

As Yoona exemplifies. It's much more than that.

And I actually prefer the more direct way Korea approaches the concept.

Rather than beating around the bush it acknowledges a cultural practice upfront, that being there often being a cultural "ideal". And a member that often fits this ideal.

It doesn't mean others are not beautiful or have their own charm. It simply means the one designated as the visual often fits a particular mold.

It's refreshingly upfront.

• Honestly visual is actually not an official position in Kpop. It really just started out to be "oh by the wayy, he/she's the one we agree is the best looking member". Like you've seen idols introduce themselves as the main vocalist, the rapper, the dancer etc, but when have you seen someone go: hi, i'm ___ and I'm the visual of ____? As if their ONLY purpose is to just look good? Never. Unless it was done as a witty joke/part of a funny persona. It's never actually said in a serious or formal situation. It's more like the fans, western audience specifically, making it an official Kpop position. Visual is just a title. And so are things like leader, maknae, face of group, center. None of these are official positions, because they are not relevant to the idol's artistry/skills/talent (which is what positions SHOULD be based on). Like before you "market" an idol as a visual, you should first state whether or not they are the main vocalist, lead vocalist, sub vocalist, whether or not they are the main rapper, lead rapper, sub rapper, or if they're the main dancer, lead dancer. And then be like "oh side note, he/she is the visual". And I feel like now Kpop agencies also kind of make it an "official" thing/big deal BECAUSE western fans created so much buzz around the title in the first place.

• Nah I see it a lot in some fandoms I don't wanna name names (shawoldom) :sweatr: If your fandoms aren't like that then good for you!

Yeah my fandoms are the one that hyunjin is in and we never do that I can also name some other fandoms that never does that at all that you may not expect so yeah don't bring up certain member also cause it might give you some kind of impression to the loyal fans an stuff (just warning so they do not trigger)

• Yeah my fandoms are the one that hyunjin is in and we never do that I can also name some other fandoms that never does that at all that you may not expect so yeah don't bring up certain member also cause it might give you some kind of impression to the loyal fans an stuff (just warning so they do not trigger)

Hyunjin literally said it himself once though :cryingr: I'm not saying that stays are like it because they aren't but I'm saying Hyunjin was concerned for the reason the OP stated

• Hyunjin literally said it himself once though :cryingr: I'm not saying that stays are like it because they aren't but I'm saying Hyunjin was concerned for the reason the OP stated

uhh alot of people can make fake subs so where is it I have been a fan since debut and he never said that once at all (Hyunjin said he did not except to be visual not he did not want to be visual I think you mistaken yet also they decide there own postion and hyunjin and lee know said they wanted to be main dancer and hyunjin wanted to be visual and lead dancer in the survival show

• uhh alot of people can make fake subs so where is it I have been a fan since debut and he never said that once at all (Hyunjin said he did not except to be visual not he did not want to be visual I think you mistaken yet also they decide there own postion and hyunjin and lee know said they wanted to be main dancer and hyunjin wanted to be visual and lead dancer in the survival show

Oh gosh it was literally years ago I'm not sure I can pull it up again out of thin air but it was back around when Changbin was calling himself the group's visual and got mocked by doni/coni for it

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!