Do You Think This Thing Old Albums In The 80s-90s Had Could Resurge Album Sales?

• As you all know, album sales back then were extremely high, the highest selling album these days would be the norm back in the day.

One of the main reasons is because, well, streaming wasn't popular and it pretty much didn't exist. So if you wanted to hear songs from your favs you either had to listen to tv or buy an album.

Also albums were super cheap back in the day(Like 5-10 dollars).

So recently I bought a twice album and I was playing it on my computer and my dad came up and was like "where's the video?". And I said what video, and he said the video that you see when you play the cds, you know like how michael jackson, britney spears, and shakira album cds were like(yes people my Indian dad knows musical artists other than michael jackson).

Don't know how since western music isn't really the biggest thing back in the day(even kind of today)around where I lived in India.

Anyway back to the topic, basically they were music videos, on cds.

And then, a lightbulb came to my head. What if, albums started including videos for the bsides? So when you play a cd on a computer you see music videos for the bsides that were only on the albums and no where else?

Basically artists would post the title track video online and then the bside videos that would only be on album cds? (btw the title track mv would be in the cd as well).

This would give people more reason to buy an album and could possible resurge sales(especially in the western industry). It could also encourage more kpop fans to buy albums too.

So do you guys think it is possible?

• Japanese idol groups would include DVD discs with their albums for years.

But in 2021 it doesn't matter what's on the CD. It's about the physical item not whatever is digitised onto a disc that never gets played.

• Japanese idol groups would include DVD discs with their albums for years.

But in 2021 it doesn't matter what's on the CD. It's about the physical item not whatever is digitised onto a disc that never gets played.

well, I play the cds, and I am pretty sure western fans play them too because I wouldn't pay 20 dollars for a glass case and a cd that I wouldn't play.

• Well H.O.T's debut MV came out on SM's channel. Perhaps people will start lookin for them.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Well H.O.T's debut MV came out on SM's channel. Perhaps people will start lookin for them.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This song is really good! :thumbup:

• Exactly right speaking as someone who was a teen in the 80's, of course no Youtube or Sporitfy then so artists had to rely on good old fashioned album sales to become successful and some of those 80's albums are still the best selling of all time. That's how it still should be today imo not based off streaming and YT views.

• Exactly right speaking as someone who was a teen in the 80's, of course no Youtube or Sporitfy then so artists had to rely on good old fashioned album sales to become successful and some of those 80's albums are still the best selling of all time. That's how it still should be today imo not based off streaming and YT views.

well the streaming era has took off and to be honest, I can see why. Not everyone can afford an album but they most likely can watch a youtube video or stream a spotify song.

I don't expect those people to spend money on albums, they need money for other reasons.

My dad may not have bought a michael jackson, britney spears, or shakira album in his entire life, but he still knows them and respects them. I feel that is true success.

Success isn't always about how many album you sold or the amount of streams and views you have.

I feel it is about if you can bring happiness or/and a sign of respect to someone whether it be a fan or a non fan.

That was a long rant.

Anyway,my technique is marketed towards people who don't buy albums but have the money to.

• Yes, but back in the good old days artists did sell an incredible amount of albums and that is what helped them to be more popular. As I was a teen then, I bought lots of LP's and that helped sales as that and ticket sales from concerts is what helped an artist or group to be hugely successful like Michael Jackson or Madonna. I think it still should be that way today and not by the silly internet plus LP records are still collectors items which I have as well, something digital sales can never replicate. It's vinyl all the way imo.

• Yes, but back in the good old days artists did sell an incredible amount of albums and that is what helped them to be more popular. As I was a teen then, I bought lots of LP's and that helped sales as that and ticket sales from concerts is what helped an artist or group to be hugely successful like Michael Jackson or Madonna. I think it still should be that way today and not by the silly internet plus LP records are still collectors items which I have as well, something digital sales can never replicate. It's vinyl all the way imo.

I see, but I think we shouldn't disregard someone that loves and supports an artist just because they couldn't buy an album. I can see why people don't buy albums anymore, on the internet you get videos with songs etc all for free.

There is a reason why kpop albums are selling but not other industries albums. It is because kpop adds additional things to an album make it more marketable meanwhile a lot of other industrys just sell a cd in a plastic case with a lyric book.

I mean, when you think about it, I would rather listen to a song on the internet than buy a cd in a plastic case for 25 bucks.

I feel that people have lost the wanting for collecting items. Even I did a little bit but kpop albums revived it. But not everyone knows about kpop albums.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!