Kpop's first openly LGBTQ boy group just debuted. Is the industry ready?

• Saw this on another forum and didn't see anyone talking about it here, so I thought I'd bring it over. The song is pretty nice (some parts didn't do it for me but overall I enjoyed it) and I thought the ending of the video with him taking off his mask was powerful. They are apparently kpop's first LGBTQ boy group and I'm happy to see moves being made to get them more representation in the industry even if Lionesses don't blow up. Do you think the industry is ready for an openly LGBTQ boy group?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Also not sure if it was purposeful but the connection between 'lionesses' and 'pride' is pretty funny lmao

Prior to this, I believe the only other openly gay idol was Holland so having a whole group is a pretty big move

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• so a BG full of openly gay members?

my only fear is the company that is over seeing them doesn't panhandle to the BL trope and actually highlights the talents of the group

• so a BG full of openly gay members?

my only fear is the company that is over seeing them doesn't panhandle to the BL trope and actually highlights the talents of the group

They called themselves an LGBTQ boy group so I think it includes multiple identities

The MV makes it seem promising as far as not exploiting the members. It seems to be a respectful progressive approach towards LGBTQ in kpop rather than a fanservice cashgrab. The lyrics and MV don't seem to be for straight fanservice-loving fangirls but really wanting to open up a place for these people in the industry and world, I hope they do well

• They called themselves an LGBTQ boy group so I think it includes multiple identities

The MV makes it seem promising as far as not exploiting the members. It seems to be a respectful progressive approach towards LGBTQ in kpop rather than a fanservice cashgrab. The lyrics and MV don't seem to be for straight fanservice-loving fangirls but really wanting to open up a place for these people in the industry and world, I hope they do well

thank you :pleading: I cant view twitter/YT where im at rn. Based on that I am v happy, I'm sure they'll do great

• The public isn't ready but they should be - but I am ready

Sadly, but some groups can get by with just ifans so maybe they can get lucky with that

But there has been a few MVs from popular artists that include LGBTQ like these ones off the top of my head... so maybe they can be better received than expected? Of course I recognize the difference between a straight person including LGBTQ and actual LGBTQ artists so it might be a longshot

• An LGTBQ boy group? I'm intrigued. The song isn't for me, but I love the fact that they seem to be vocal-heavy. I hope this inspires closeted people already in the industry to be open about their sexualities and for more queer kids to audition for mainstream companies.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Maybe I am crazy but for some reason I remember there being a BG where the concept was drag.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• I've predicted that the 5th gen would be highlighted by the first openly queer idol star (i'm talking the popularity level of BTS/BP/EXO/Twice etc). Will this group do it a generation earlier? 8|

Same, I was surprised when I heard about this group. I expected at least another few years before this was attempted

Maybe I am crazy but for some reason I remember there being a BG where the concept was drag.

Interesting, never heard of them. Was this a while ago?

• Interesting, never heard of them. Was this a while ago?

Yeah, years

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• I was excited to see the headline and I'm all for representation, but I didn't think the song was good. I also think that for a lbtq+ group to even stand a chance of being widely accepted by kpop fans currently, they're gonna need to not only have very good music but also adhere more closely to industry beauty standards unfortunately. There's also no indication from that video that they're able to do choreo.

• I was excited to see the headline and I'm all for representation, but I didn't think the song was good. I also think that for a lbtq+ group to even stand a chance of being widely accepted by kpop fans currently, they're gonna need to not only have very good music but also adhere more closely to industry beauty standards unfortunately. There's also no indication from that video that they're able to do choreo.

Personally, the music was good enough to me. I enjoyed the song and would controversially call it one of the better bg releases that I've heard from 2021 lmao I also enjoy a lot of generally hated songs so that might just be me though

And yup, unfortunately they are unconventional by the standard. Personally I'm a fan of idol groups who try to break the mold and have been hoping for another Piggy Dolls (the originals) or 2BiC, I commend Lionesses for challenging the industry on 2 things at once. They're definitely not going to have an easy time but I hope it's worth it in the end

• Personally, the music was good enough to me. I enjoyed the song and would controversially call it one of the better bg releases that I've heard from 2021 lmao I also enjoy a lot of generally hated songs so that might just be me though

And yup, unfortunately they are unconventional by the standard. Personally I'm a fan of idol groups who try to break the mold and have been hoping for another Piggy Dolls (the originals) or 2BiC, I commend Lionesses for challenging the industry on 2 things at once. They're definitely not going to have an easy time but I hope it's worth it in the end

I've never heard of either of those groups. I'll have to check them out. But yeah I think that challenging the industry on one front is hard enough, much less two. I'm really hoping they can dance.

• I've never heard of either of those groups. I'll have to check them out. But yeah I think that challenging the industry on one front is hard enough, much less two. I'm really hoping they can dance.

I recommend these 2, I personally really like them

• omg the song name is alone or I'm not alone.

There was also a boy group in in first gen that broke up because the two of the members were dating each other and one of them cheated with another male idol.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• Ok i just listened to the song.

The MUSIC is fucking amazing. The beat, the melody, it's a perfect retro song.

The vocals and rap are fine, except i'm undecided about the mega falsetto parts, they might become too overbearing over repeated listens and eventually become annoying. they're ok for now. If they survive repeated listens, those parts will probably end up as my fave parts lol.

But yeah, let's not sugarcoat things, at least two of the members are too heavy for Kpop and the one that revealed his face is not attractive. If they cleaned up their visuals a bit with diet/exercise, it would help.

But for me, their song is already going to be a repeat. It's already my third favorite BG song of 2021.

• Should I be honest?

I think having an openly LGBTQ group is a great step forward for the industry, but like with Holland, I don't see them going anywhere.

If the visuals aren't giving, if the music ain't giving, if the production ain't giving... unless people are going to stan them purely based on their sexuality, then there is just no way. If you ignore their sexuality, a group like this wouldn't even be mentioned.

They were better off saving up the money they used for this debut to cast for openly gay people who actually have mass appeal and are willing to do the job, as well as finding a good song producer.

I think an LGBTQ group is still very much possible but these guys are on the level of groups like Kaachi or EXP at best.

If it is going to be done successfully, they need to save up money or find big investors; otherwise, they are just going to be a splash in the pond.

• Wut? You didnt like the song?? I thought it was FANTASTIC, an instant mega hit. The falsetto is the only thing i'm mixed about but the song is straight fire.

• So far im sold with this idea .This reminds me of the group Lady( Korea first trans group) hopefully they do better than they ended up.

• Same here… great they are openly LGBT, but apart from that, there is nothing outstanding about them. The Song is not public friendly, their visuals might not appeal to the wider masses and the production quality was really low. They didn’t really seem like a Group either.

Like you said, if they weren’t promoting themself as an LGBT Group, nobody would talk about them.

The industry isn’t ready for a Group like this, but even if they were, this Group wouldn’t make it.

• So far im sold with this idea .This reminds me of the group Lady( Korea first trans group) hopefully they do better than they ended up.

Oh wow, I never even knew kpop had a trans group. I've actually heard this song before and seen the video funny enough, but just never knew the history behind them

Ok so I'm not crazy! lmao I also enjoyed the song a lot

• Oh wow, I never even knew kpop had a trans group. I've actually heard this song before and seen the video funny enough, but just never knew the history behind them

Ok so I'm not crazy! lmao I also enjoyed the song a lot

The group is inspired by Harisu( korea's first trans artist) . I wonder if music shows will ever put them on

• I recommend these 2, I personally really like them

Those girls were plus size??? Only one of the three looked bigger than a size 4. Wtf lol I did like the song.

• Those girls were plus size??? Only one of the three looked bigger than a size 4. Wtf lol I did like the song.

Kpop standards lmao they were bigger than that video when they debuted though (I still don't find them huge like the name implies). They lost weight (due to dancing I believe) which unfortunately impacted their chances even further due to now upsetting those who supported them due to their weight while also still not having support from those wanting the standard super thin kpop idol

Ironically to the name and their original purpose, they were eventually replaced by standard idols

• This thread contains 5 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!