Were plans for a UMG Hybe boy group abandoned once UMG got BTS?

• I find it intriguing cause the original plan last year between UMG/Geffen and Hybe was about launching a global boy group and there was zero mention of a girl group but suddenly in today's corporate briefing they announced a girl group and started its auditions. What is also very interesting about BTS signing on to UMG/Geffen -Interscope is how it seems to be more than just the distribution deal that BTS had with Columbia Records. To quote this article, UMG will not only be involved in distribution but also marketing and creative aspects -

"Under the agreement, UMG’s Ingrooves unit will handle distribution of the group’s music, while UMG’s Geffen Records will support the band on the marketing and creative side, says Bloomberg, who confirmed HYBE and BTS’s new partnership with Universal."

https://fortune.com/2021/10/22…lumbia-records-hybe-kpop/

Since Hybe and Geffen are reportedly launching a new sub-label and seem to have a stronger strategic partnership which has manifested in BTS having a more broader scope deal with UMG covering marketing and creative aspects too, I wonder if that will impact the way in which BTS are managed, as in will UMG be treating BTS as their own artist as against the step-motherly treatment BTS got at Columbia Records. I also wonder if finally getting BTS under UMG is also the reason UMG finds launching a new boy group redundant.

• I feel like they're getting more and more out of touch with every future plan announced

They have 2-3 ggs which are planned to debut and now making a new one? :facepalm:

And where is that HYYH drama? at least have some notice if it's canceled lol

• I feel like they're getting more and more out of touch with every future plan announced

They have 2-3 ggs which are planned to debut and now making a new one? :facepalm:

And where is that HYYH drama? at least have some notice if it's canceled lol

True...lol.

As long as they keep releasing BTS music and content as per the schedule they declare, I don't care if their other non- BTS grandiose plans take off or not.

• Maybe... honestly when I first heard about the new BG by UMG, I thought it was a 'consolation' prize because HYBE didn't want to let them have BTS.

So much is going on with HYBE at that moment, we'll see what groups they put out when it happens, because we've been talking about a new group since forever, and I don't see anything yet...

• idc much about future grps currently but a gg definitely makes more sense than a bg

And this umg deal for bts sounds good rn :lover1:

I agree making a boy group for the west is useless because no boy group is gonna take over from bts. But with the girl group there currently isn’t any girl group who is untouchable or even on top in the west so umg and hybe have more potential with that imo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!