an intersection between kpop fans and idols: what is "bullying"?

• pasted-from-clipboard.png

example 1 : april members vs hyunjoo

the facts: circumstances occurred that made her feel tormented. hyunjoo attempted suicide. those circumstances were confirmed by the perpetrators, though relayed from a different perspective which made some of the instances seem "less severe". subsequently hyunjoo was intimidated by the members, their parents, and the company in multiple ways including legal even though the court already ruled in favor of her brother, the original whistle blower, that it was not defamation.

the reactions to this situation are a mixed back and many fans of april or other kpop fans think hyunjoo is faking or lying or exaggerating even though it doesnt change the fact that something occurred that made her FEEL bullied, and intimidation tactics were indeed employed at some point. does this make april bullies?

example 2: kpop fans vs bts

the facts: false claims were made against bts early in their careers and a calculated attempt to take them down. "sajaegi" accusations with no merit, "plagiarism" accusations with no merit, both things their company had to address. hate hashtags were trended that the members saw, their first dasaeng was questioned to the point where a blue house petition was made to get it taken away from them. to this day there are psychos that try hard to make random scandals about them blow up when they are things that many fans were already aware of but did not feel strongly about (ie jungkook's "under the table advertisement", yoongi' jim jones sample, jimin's 2018 t-shirt incident). bts has been tormented by non-fans for most of their career

even when bts apologizes for things they are still goaded and dragged by certain kpop fans unprovoked. this happens to other groups as well but very few have gotten it the way bts is simply bc they are so big. are kpop stans bullies?

hypothetical: akp users vs shade

pasted-from-clipboard.png

akp users, this question is for you. do you consider "shade" "bullying" ? when you say underhanded shit about users in thread simply omitting their name, are you bullying them? when you tag a user in a post you think they should see bc they have expressed opposite opinions in the past, are you bullying them? when you tag your friends into a thread or just randomly start kekeing with them and derail it bc you want mods to close the thread or dont like a user or the topic at hand, are you bullying the op? are you bullies when you spam react to every comment in a thread you disagree with or from a particular user in a thread with :facepalm: instead of contributing to the convo? are you bullies when you continue to react to posts from a user you know has you blocked?

lets rlly define the word "bully". does it only matter that the person feels bullied? does intent matter too? does it matter if the victim sees or doesnt see the comments? does it matter if its not verbal?

feel free to share your thought on any situation i brought up. i hope we don't have another idol bully gate any time soon.

who's your favorite artist?

• I'll ignore the groups situations bc i want.

About "shade" being bullying. It depends of the situation, if you are innocent sure, if you are an user who always shade others faves, then no. It's just a fight.

Saying shit about users in a fight isn't bullying, buuut if the users isn't there and people are "laughing" at the said user, yes, it can be considered bullying.

Tagging an user just to "humiliate" them isn't cute, but i don't consider it bullying.

The drama taglist which you are obviously talking about isn't a bullying group, they are just users who will probably like to see messy threads or threads with a lot of pages.

Reacting with facepalm isn't bullying... This here is a super sensitive mindset...

And no, it's you who chose to block people, if they didn't block you they obviously will interact with you...

I won't define bullying bc everybody knows what it is, but exaggerating situations isn't being a victim either. I saw some comments of you where you were right and others were by your op you were bullying so here we are.

• I don't know what personal experience in akp you are talking about and if if it's bullying or fighting (considering the shade comes from both sides) but I will answer in general about KPOP fans to idols who don't fight back (akp honestly is one of the tamest places and mostly banter or trolls).

are kpop stans bullies?

Yes, they're. One look at Twitter, Blogs, Websites that share any news (pann,naver etc..) and you will see it. I am tired of this. Kpop is entertainment for me and I use this entertainment as a stress relief so I don't try to take the artists too serious or idolize them but I keep seeing literal bullies everywhere attacking everyone that is not their fav to the point I can't just ignore it because it feels like being a bystander. It's sickening to look for your favs news or simply your Twitter and see thousands of comments making new hate narratives and trying to create scandals for them every single day.

lt64IYu.gif

Edited once, last by Yumeku ().

• I would say "shade' is bullying as it is relational aggression in most context so more practiced by females in my experience(not to say guys don't "shade"(sorry I've never heard this term before allkpop so I'm trying my best to understand it, thus quotations) but male bullying is more direct or at least was when I was in the primary and secondary school. I suppose intent does matter with bullying cases but it's hard to define as no one wants to admit to being a bully ever, so no one would theoretically admit to such(this was a big issue with me in school when I was bullied relationally and thus no teacher believed me so I had to deal with it myself until I moved schools). Intent does matter in the bullying definition as to bully is to seek to harm or intimidate others, though as mentioned before there's a huge issue with proving that in social situations as far as I know.

Stans is a negative term in itself, pretty much slang for overzealous fans coming from the Eminem song so I suppose kpop stans are by nature bullies, even ifans who love to glorify themselves over their Korean counterparts when they do the same stupid shit and probably would be more extreme if they were nearby their idols.

• Yes, they're. One look at Twitter, Blogs, Websites that share any news (pann,naver etc..) and you will see it. I am tired of this. Kpop is entertainment for me and I use this entertainment as a stress relief so I don't try to take the artists too serious or idolize them but I keep seeing literal bullies everywhere attacking everyone that is not their fav to the point I can't just ignore it because it feels like being a bystander. It's sickening to look for your favs news or simply your Twitter and see thousands of comments making new hate narratives and trying to create scandals for them every single day.

then just don't look for it? I mean fml Just don't look for it if it's sickenin`

• then just don't look for it? I mean fml Just don't look for it if it's sickenin`

I am not exaggerating when I say that the hate is too much that it's everywhere. How can I not see it?

It's not like I search for them either. Just going through my favs' news is enough to get exposed to all that shit. Especially this year is insane for all my favs with so many organized attacks by haters.

lt64IYu.gif

• I am not exaggerating when I say that the hate is too much that it's everywhere. How can I not see it?

It's not like I search for them either. Just going through my favs' news is enough to get exposed to all that shit. Especially this year is insane for all my favs with so many organized attacks by haters.

honestly? My only advice would be to grow some balls.

I've had to deal with that shit with Twice for years now.

Just deal and ignore.

It's not like it is goin to change your life either way.

• I consider cursing people and saying bad things to the person more so in threatening manner as bullying, also specifically if it is being repeated a lot and if there isn't any reason for it. Also i think scariest bullying experince is to being outcasted and ignored.

Kpop stans are bullies such as those who send messages to idols calling them ugly, fat etc all the time, threatening to kill them etc. But in the end there will be bullies everywhere u can't do anything about it and should have strong mentality for the better.

• honestly? My only advice would be to grow some balls.

I've had to deal with that shit with Twice for years now.

Just deal and ignore.

It's not like it is goin to change your life either way.

Except some of my favs killed themselves because of it. It's stressful and it's not even about me it's about seeing too much hate and can't do anything against it but feeling frustrated. I remember not bothering with haters before during 2009-2012 with SNSD because even though they were crazy by making hate sites and doing literal anti-projects and achievements, they were easier to ignore. Now they're so spread that they have to ruin everything and be everywhere that you can't ignore them.

lt64IYu.gif

• Except some of my favs killed themselves because of it. It's stressful and it's not even about me it's about seeing too much hate and can't do anything against it but feeling frustrated. I remember not bothering with haters before during 2009-2012 with SNSD because even though they were crazy by making hate sites and doing literal anti-projects and achievements, they were easier to ignore. Now they're so spread that they have to ruin everything and be everywhere that you can't ignore them.

Ah ok, you're one of the feeling ones.

The ones that feel everything is their fault.

Even tho they are nobody in the bigger picture of things.

Dude, get a hold of yourself. Idols killing themselves is up to them and their mental health.

You riding on top of that is just a need of attention.

Here, I am giving you attention.

Now fuck off and be normal.

• It's not about me for the second time. It's about how Kpop fans are being bullies to idols who are not their favs. If you can't let people be frustrated over that then you're the one who has a problem. You can't be telling me the insane cancel culture and the gang hate some idols get depending on the month is normal and not an issue that needs to be addressed. They act exactly like bullies.

lt64IYu.gif

• To sum up what I think, I see that some people confuse isolated cases with bullying. Bullying is a systematic form of repetitive physical or psychological violence against an innocent person. It has a definition for a reason. Just because someone felt bullied because of one situation, it doesn't mean they were.

So unless you're routinely harassing someone who isn't doing nothing to you, either alone or with a group of people, it's not bullying.

Someone can be vile towards others and still the situation not be considerated bullying.

Cyberbullying can exist in Allkpop or every other place, but It has to enter in the definition.

I'm not talking about anything or anyone, just expressing my thoughts.

• That's an interesting question, one that I don't think anyone will ever agree on because it is the victim who experiences the bullying and thus the reactions that person has influences how severe it will end up affecting them. That said there are certain behaviors that can outright be seen as bullying like physical harassment. Then there are other less easily defined types that usually involve more psychological harassment, but they can be no less detrimental.

Of the less easily defined types, the worst to me is mean gossip or shade as it is now called. This involves talking behind someones back, mean-spirited inside jokes and innuendo. There was a very popular movie about this. It was called Mean Girls. When I see people glorifying this movie, I feel sick very honestly. That people think it is now cool to emulate that behavior and become bullies themselves is horrifying to me. Everyone who has seen that movie saw what happened when people learned they had been made fun of - sometimes for years - behind their backs. How is that cool?

• I agree with everything you said here.

• then just don't look for it? I mean fml Just don't look for it if it's sickenin`

I mean you dont have to seek it to see

For example yesterday SHINee mentions were flooded with NCT and SVT fans fighting each other and bringing SHINee into the middle

I just wanted to look at Minho's tiddies, not two other fandoms fighting bloody and bringing my fav in the middle for no reason

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I mean you dont to seek it to see

For example yesterday SHINee mentions were flooded with NCT and SVT fans fighting each other and bringing SHINee into the middle

I just wanted to look at Minho's tiddies, not two other fandoms fighting bloody and bringing my fav in the middle for no reason

Lulu saying Minho's tiddies is not something that I needed to see today.

But also, just bloody ignore it and focus on the tiddies.

It ain't that hard mate.

• I agree with what you said too! I love how you separated the definitions of both direct and indirect bullying. The second one is barely talked about and can be very harmful.

Physical scars heal, psychological scars are not so easily treated :borahae:

It may perhaps be because I was a victim of the latter than I feel so strongly that it is the worst, but to see someone look at you from across the room and whisper pointedly to their friends and watch them laugh while you know you were the butt of their joke is heart breaking. Especially when I had done nothing but get better grades than them as I was the scholarship kid and needed to keep them up.

My bully has since grown up and apologized to me. I've accepted that apology, but I try not to inflict the same on others. If I have an issue with them, I'm going to let them know and hopefully we can move past it. There is no one I dislike just outright, so if I have an issue with someone, it's because of actions they've taken that I felt were malicious and yes sometimes they have bullied too.

Bullying is a horrible thing - no doubt about it.

• Take your damn chill pill, AlexS. If they wanna feel sad because of their favorites REAL pain that's on them. SM artists have gone thru some of the roughest stuff because of fans who take bullying to REAL life. Does your big fatty brain gets that or no?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!