'You don't live in korea, you dont know anything'

• Tbh I dont quite understand this mentality.

It's like.... saying 'you arent in america, how would you know who is big there'

When its really clearly obvious by the stats and facts shown for us WW??

I mean.. melon is the main determiner for korea, that's where koreans get their facts, we can see it, so we can also determine what is the hit or not.

We can also see gaon, hanteo, award shows, it's all open for us, being in korea makes little difference to what are the stats and facts, actually it can be worse because a song may only be a hit in the particular area you live in, or the song could only not be popular in that area...

Just saying, you dont have to live in the country to state things about the country, so people can discuss whatever they want in regards to hits in other countries, im in new zealand and i dont know anything about what is a hit here... another person could see the chart here and tell me and I'd be like... had no idea... this thinking isnt fully logical to me.

• Go to Best Answer
  • tbh when KPOPPIES talk about 'impact' and shit like that, it's much more valid if you live Korea.

First-hand experience will always be taken more seriously and it's not just in KPOP. Even when investigators try to investigate a crime or something, first-hand experience and witness will always be put on a higher pedestal(except in certain circumstances).

It's just better to have the witness of someone who was actually there experiencing the 'impact' of a certain song.

You can say whatever you want but it's not going to be taken seriously unless you live in Korea. There's a reason why some people on AKP pretend to be from Korea or pretend to speak Korean.

I think using stats and stuff is fine but it's only applicable to a certain extent.

• yeah especially when we have netizen translations that we see all the time

I thought it was a known fact that those netizen translation sites always pick and choose comments? One person saying 'x song is the biggest hit of all time' doesn't automatically make it correct.

• Depends on the issue tbh.

Things like National hits you cant get the full effect from Melon, or awards won. As a song being played on radio in stores/commercials/etc dont show up on stats.

• tbh when KPOPPIES talk about 'impact' and shit like that, it's much more valid if you live Korea.

First-hand experience will always be taken more seriously and it's not just in KPOP. Even when investigators try to investigate a crime or something, first-hand experience and witness will always be put on a higher pedestal(except in certain circumstances).

It's just better to have the witness of someone who was actually there experiencing the 'impact' of a certain song.

You can say whatever you want but it's not going to be taken seriously unless you live in Korea. There's a reason why some people on AKP pretend to be from Korea or pretend to speak Korean.

you cant really first hand experience songs or hits like that, it's not like the average person listens to the radio or goes to karaoe every day all day. They'll just live their normal lives and then check melon that's generally how it works in korea.

They use the same way to check if songs are hits that we do, thats why they talk about songs flopping when it doesnt top melon, if you look at all the netizen articles 90% of them refer to melon and the charting when discussing a hit. 'impact' is subjective ofc we can't always know the full extent of that though but neither would koraens in korea cause its not something you can just see when you walk about. it would depend on going viral online.

• I thought it was a known fact that those netizen translation sites always pick and choose comments? One person saying 'x song is the biggest hit of all time' doesn't automatically make it correct.

yeah, so you have to have a lot of sources, certain articles are biased against groups and etc its better to look at all the websites, theyre still opinions from koreans though even if they are hateful

• you cant really first hand experience songs or hits like that, it's not like the average person listens to the radio or goes to karaoe every day all day. They'll just live their normal lives and then check melon that's generally how it works in korea.

They use the same way to check if songs are hits that we do, thats why they talk about songs flopping when it doesnt top melon, if you look at all the netizen articles 90% of them refer to melon and the charting when discussing a hit. 'impact' is subjective ofc we can't always know the full extent of that though but neither would koraens in korea cause its not something you can just see when you walk about. it would depend on going viral online.

I mean as I said, using stats is fine but it's only applicable to a certain extent. Before 2020, BG stans used to stream their songs to the top of Melon like all the time, the chart didn't actually reflect what was popular at least 24/7.

At least Koreans in Korea know when a certain song is being played on the radio, stores, commercials, etc even if it's just once. That determines impact. International fans don't know anything about that and the only source they have is charting or 'netizen comments'

• It's not about that. I just don't understand why is so important for us to analyze who is more popular or what is a hit in Korea or US or worldwide. Of course it's possible to find it out, but i just don't get why.

I personally really don't care.

Songs that i hear on radio in my country must be quite big. Songs i see discussed and mentioned a lot, must be quite big too on certain platforms. That's enough for me to know.

• I find it funny that the same people who say this are the same people who are like "x group isn't popular in America" but aren't American so by their logic they aren't allowed to speak on it right? As an American I really don't care and feel no need to gatekeep my country like that. Especially since most people's assumptions are right like its obvious that Adele or Taylor Swift for example are huge in American and if their wrong its not that big of a deal. I doubt Koreans would give af who non Koreans think have the most impact and chances are we'd be right about it. Its not like Koreans don't also make assumption about who is popular in America too.

• Best Answer

Your faves are going to disband flopping and not touching any of the records BP set.

It's the truth. 10 Million Sellers. Your faves are going to disband next year without selling even half that amount.

If you guys don't like each other be respectful towards the groups at least.

Blackpink and Twice don't need to be disrespected like this for you guys to fight.

• Statistics says that Korean population is over 50 millions and what kpop international fans refer to as "national hits" usually have around 3M downloads in GAON? 1M unique listener in Melon give or take?

So it's very possible that what you see in the charts doesn't necessarily always reflect an impact on the general public

• Statistics says that Korean population is over 50 millions and what kpop international fans refer to as "national hits" usually have around 3M downloads in GAON? 1M unique listener in Melon give or take?

So it's very possible that what you see in the charts doesn't necessarily always reflect an impact on the general public

it's the same in any country really 300 million in america, but selling a few hundred k gets you on top of billboard and a hit. music isnt as widely spread as it would seem lots of people dont even buy or stream it

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!