Did Mnet rig Girls Planet 999? 211,616 unaccounted points

• Total votes was 5,587,478 and total points was 11,386,572.

If you use the same formula they used for the interim results of elimination round 1, you should get:

total_points = 2*total_votes.

But 2*5,587,478 = 11,174,956 ≠ 11,386,572.

That leaves 211,616 points unaccounted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

120116-pasted-from-clipboard-png

120119-pasted-from-clipboard-png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To explain why total points should be equal to 2 times total votes and why Mnet used this formula.

In the interim results of elimination round 1 they used the following formula:

weight_overseas = total_votes/votes_overseas

weight_korea = total_votes/votes_korea

That gives a 50:50 ratio and makes Total Points = 2*Total Votes

Formal proof

Let:

k1, ..., kn are the korean votes for contestants 1 to n.

o1, ..., on are the overseas votes for contestants 1 to n.

wk = weight korea

wo = weight overseas

Sk = total votes Korea

So = total votes overseas

tpk = total points korea

tpo = total points overseas

tp = total points

By definition:

Sk = k1+...+kn

So = o1+...+on

Suppose:

wk = (Sk+So)/Sk

wo = (Sk+So)/So

Then:

tpk = wk*k1 + ... + wk*kn = wk*(k1+...+kn) = wk*Sk = Sk+So

tpo = wo*o1+ ... + wo*on = wo*(o1+...+on) = wo*So = Sk+So

Therefore:

tpo = tpk

tpo+tpk = 2*(Sk+So)

The 50:50 ratio is achieved and Total Points = 2*Total Votes

Q.E.D.

Fun fact: the formula generalizes very nicely for n features and arbitrary ratios.

weight_k = (ratio_1*sum_1 + ... + ratio_n*sum_n)/sum_k

Interim results of elimination round 1

If you set:

wk = (Sk+So)/Sk = (633,963+3,471,492)/633,963 = 6.475859

wo = (Sk+So)/So = (633,963+3,471,492)/3,471,492 = 1.182620

You get exactly the points reported by Mnet (and, as proved above, Total Points = 2*Total Votes)

pasted-from-clipboard.png

• In terms of how many votes there are 200k seems quite small, then again that could determine the place between 9th and 10th, etc.

200k points is large. That could have net rank 16 to 9 for debute. Not saying a single person could net that, but it's not small.

• omnimorphism

Changed the title of the thread from “Did Mnet rig it again?” to “Did Mnet rig it again? 200k unaccounted points”.
  • omnimorphism

Changed the title of the thread from “Did Mnet rig it again? 200k unaccounted points” to “Did Mnet rig it again? 211,616 unaccounted points”.
  • Are you taking into consideration the live votes? I think they had a different weight if I'm not mistaken.

According to the numbers revealed during the episode:

4,300,524 votes in the 1st round

4,944,001 votes after the live voting

4,944,001 - 4,300,524= 643,477 live votes

4,300,524 + 2*643,477 = 5,587,478 total votes

Exactly the same as the 5,587,478 total votes reported in the Universe App

So, yes, it already takes into account 2x the live votes.

• I'm not good with numbers. It was just an observation.

:yesr:

• omnimorphism

Changed the title of the thread from “Did Mnet rig it again? 211,616 unaccounted points” to “Did Mnet rig Girls Planet 999? 211,616 unaccounted points”.
  • I don't understand anything 😂 Math is my weak point.

If you use the following formula:

You get:

total_points_korea = weight_korea * votes_korea = total_votes/votes_korea * votes_korea = total_votes

total_points_overseas = weight_overseas * votes_oveseas = total_votes/votes_overseas * votes_overseas = total_votes

That ensures that both:

total_points_korea = total_votes

total_points_overseas = total_votes

Therefore total_points_korea = total_points_overseas and the 50:50 ratio is achieved.

And total_points = total_points_korea + total_points_overseas = 2*total_votes

• Love the conspiracy theories, but remember today's live vote as well.

That was double points.

read below

• You're not taking into consideration the points generated by Korean votes during live voting. You are giving them equal importance as international votes.

I'm doing exactly what they said they did. Multiply the live votes by 2 and add them to the votes from the 1st round.

• read below

ah, okay, tbh I couldn't be bothered to read all that math. Did enough algorithms today.

But you are incorrect at assuming points / votes are the same.

Because of the whole 50/50, and this being the last episode more Knetz came in to vote than before.

And 1 vote of theirs equals 10 of ours (first elim round), 8 of ours (second elim round) and now I believe it was like 6 of ours since there were more.

• ah, okay, tbh I couldn't be bothered to read all that math. Did enough algorithms today.

But you are incorrect at assuming points / votes are the same.

Because of the whole 50/50, and this being the last episode more Knetz came in to vote than before.

And 1 vote of theirs equals 10 of ours (first elim round), 8 of ours (second elim round) and now I believe it was like 6 of ours since there were more.

I'm assuming they used the same formula they used for the interim results of round 1. Why change it? This is the formula that ensures the 50:50.

Of course they could've multiplied the weights by 1.0189 to get the numbers they got in a mathematically equivalent way. But why would they?

• I'm assuming they used the same formula they used for the interim results of round 1. Why change it? This is the formula that ensures the 50:50.

Of course they could've multiplied the weights by 1.0189 and get the results they got. But why would they?

No it doesn't. You don't take into accounts the numbers of actual votes.

Let me make it simpler so others can understand it.

50 K votes is 50 percent. 500K I votes is 50 percent.

That's the 1 to 10 ratio that we saw at first elim round.

Second elim round:

60 K votes is 50 percent, 100k I votes is 50 percent,

That's the 1 to 6 ratio.

This round

80k votes is 50 percent, 100k I votes is 50 percent.

1 to 8.

Now let's put this into your formula:

total_points_korea = weight_korea * votes_korea = total_votes/votes_korea * votes_korea = total_votes

this one is wrong btw because total_votes/votes_korea * votes_korea eliminates votes_korea since if it's under the / and * by it it's gone.

Also weight_korea is yes, half the points, but the weight moves based on votes.

total_points_overseas = weight_overseas * votes_oveseas = total_votes/votes_overseas * votes_overseas = total_votes

same here.

But I was mentioning the live vote because you are losing sight of the fact that weight_korea is lower now.

5,693,286 is half the votes. On the total figure.

So if we are taking into account the lower weight_korea on that, it means (if it's actually 8 to 10)

we have 8/10 * 5,693,286 but out of those, 600k were in the second round

So 8/10 of 5mil so thats 4.something mil out of 11 mil.

I can't be bothered with exact numbers.

I haven't seen exact ratings numbers yet, but I expect it to be the highest yet in SK (live and being the last one).

That's why numbers don't add up, because it's not a linear equation, but it's a conditional equation based on outside factors.

8137287b9417e246e6691785f6b37d493ea648ce.gifvda52fd308bd29f1f162d323aeb695b5ef40e4e14.gifv9aa39433f25f9b15317809e52463a928e36fa269.gifv

Edited once, last by alexS: Also btw, forgot to say this: But total_points_korea = total_points /2 = weight_korea * votes_korea ().

• Dude,

and

is what ensures that total_points_korea = total_points_overseas

They could've opted for any normalization they wanted, including setting 1 oversea vote = 1 point. But they decided to used the simple normalization:

It's exactly what they used for their points in the interim ranking of elimination round 1.

Cell Points = 2 * Total Votes

• total_points_korea = total_points/ 2 = weight_korea * votes_korea

Ignore round 1 please. This is the last episode with a live vote that is worth twice.

You are going by that excel on Reddit which was using the percentage of weight_korea from elim round 1 when weight_korea was way higher.

• total_points_korea = total_points/ 2 = weight_korea * votes_korea

Ignore round 1 please. This is the last episode with a live vote that is worth twice.

You are going by that excel on Reddit which was using the percentage of weight_korea from elim round 1 when weight_korea was way higher.

I'm not using the same percentage. I'm just using the same formula to compute the weights. This formula always have Total Points = 2 * Total Votes.

Why would Mnet change the formula for the final round? I mean, you could multiply the weights by any real number and still get the same ratio. But why would they do that?

Even if you use a different ratio for the live voting, if you use the same formula you get the same result. You just get:

Total Points Live = 2 * Double Votes Live

Total Points 1st Round = 2 * Votes 1st Round

Total Points = 2 * (Double Votes Live + Votes 1st Round) = 2 * Total Votes counting double votes

The 5,587,478 is counting the double votes as I showed previously.

• I'm not using the same percentage. I'm just using the same formula to compute the weights. This formula always have Total Points = 2 * Total Votes.

Why would Mnet change the formula for the final round? I mean, you could multiply the weights by any real number and still get the same ratio. But why would they that?

Wait, can you pinpoint which side get less weight in the final round? Korea or the world? I think they might lower the korean side to let the 3 foreigners in. I having this thought lol.

• I'm not using the same percentage. I'm just using the same formula to compute the weights. This formula always have Total Points = 2 * Total Votes.

Why would Mnet change the formula for the final round? I mean, you could multiply the weights by any real number and still get the same ratio. But why would they do that?

Because that formula is wrong.

Total points/2 = Korea points

Total points/2 = Int points.

Korea weight = Korea points / Korea votes

Int weight = Int points / Int votes.

They didn't change the formula, knetz started voting more because it was the last round hence the Korea weight became lower and int points staid pretty much the same.

• Wait, can you pinpoint which side get less weight in the final round? Korea or the world? I think they might lower the korean side to let the 3 foreigners in. I having this thought lol.

The weights will always depend on the ratio of the votes. The only way to know the ratio is if we have the vote split. But this time we don't.

• No, it isn't wrong. It's right. Check the math.

• I did, it's wrong

Let:

k1, ..., kn are the korean votes for contestants 1 to n.

o1, ..., on are the overseas votes for contestants 1 to n.

wk = weight korea

wo = weight overseas

Sk = total votes Korea

So = total votes overseas

tpk = total points korea

tpo = total points overseas

tp = total points

By definition:

Sk = k1+...+kn

So = o1+...+on

Suppose:

wk = (Sk+So)/Sk

wo = (Sk+So)/So

Then:

tpk = wk*k1 + ... + wk*kn = wk*(k1+...+kn) = wk*Sk = Sk+So

tpo = wo*o1+ ... + wo*on = wo*(o1+...+on) = wo*So = Sk+So

Therefore:

tpo = tpk

tpo+tpk = 2*(Sk+So)

The 50:50 ratio is achieved and Total Points = 2*Total Votes

q.e.d.

• I did, it's wrong

And to further this:

Kpoints = 22,193,286

Ipoints = 22,193,286

Which is 50 percent of total points.

We do not yet know what the amount of votes were K and what was I but, if we do a calculated guess

of 8 to 10 (K to I votes)

That would mean Kvotes = Kpoints / 8 = 3,467,700

And Ivotes = Ipoints / 10 = 2,219,328

If you add the votes back together gives us 5,687,028.6. which is a lot closer to the actual vote count.

I expect the K_ration to be at around 9 tbh.

Which means Kvotes = Kpoints / 9 =

• nope :) tpk = tpo = tp /2 that's where you go wrong.

You don't have Sk and So, you only have Sk+So

Does it make sense now?

• Also, since we're finally talking my language.

I have extensive experience in the field and I would like to give you one piece of advice.

Whenever designing an algorithm, do not Suppose (yes I know its part of the language, but it's dumb and useless) and do not assume also.

Either define and be sure or don't base your algorithm on suppositions.

If you start with a wrong premise you can find yourself back to the right answer, but the algorithm won't fix your problem.

There's an old saying between us old Senior Devs, "A computer does what it's told, not what you want it to do".

If you remember anything from today please let it be those words mate. They are words to live by that my mentor taught me.

• Well, I cannot help you guys to calculate but whatever it is, I don't think they can rigged the vote anymore. People's eyes are on them now. They cannot afford to do that in this show. You can see that all the top 9 girls didn't bland really well, at the point that no one can see what kind of concept they will have.

• This thread contains 99 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!