Why do we normalize discrediting a group's hard work?

• I'll talk in general again, but it's really strange how discrediting someone's work (obviously I'm talking about idols work) is ok and how quick people shame others just bc they don't like the person.

I'll use BP as an example bc they are the group i keep up the most AND i see "critics" viral tweets almost every week, specially when they are promoting.

BP have good vocals, but since day1 Rosé and Jisoo are called rude names and people really try to push this narrative that they are bad vocalists and it's so extreme that it's almost an addiction of hating. The same with Jennie and Lisa being good rappers, but somehow they are super bad and try hard and what not. The same about Lisa and Rosé being good dancers and this circle goes goes and goes without a stop.

I think it's strange how people care so much to shame others bc they don't see the "hype" or talent, but shouldn't this be an individual thing? If you don't see, great, move on. Stop trying to say how some idols don't deserve their job bc YOU think they don't deserve it. Idols train hard and they pass through so much things and no, it's not for you to be talking about them like they own you something or like they slapped you in the face for you to be acting so bitter.

Criticism is OBVIOUSLY WELCOMED, but I'm talking about HATE/SHAME/LAME things and how it is indeed rude, but it's passed as "personal" opinion when the same person keep talking bad about the idol any opportunity they have.

It's not ok to be questioning why an idol got to debut specially when insinuating low things just bc you don't like them. So yes, personal opinion like "these" should be kept in the ass and not spread like it's the truth.

Being hateful isn't ok, shouldn't be normalized and shouldn't be welcomed when we have so many people having mental problems bc of these same "opinions".

How many idols say they aren't confident and that they know they lack?? This is also bc of the pressure they pass and how such negative opinions affect them.

Always invalidating someone isn't right.

Disclaimer: it's totally ok to say your opinion respectfully, but I'm really talking about the ones who are rude and do the most to spread negativism about idols or groups just bc they don't like them. This is obviously my personal opinion and how i feel so sorry if you don't agree, I'm not trying to fight, just tired of seeing people's personal opinions when all i see is bitter and hateful comments.

It's again an essay so you're welcome kkkkkk

• Kpop feels like a zero sum game sometimes. Everything is valued comparatively and competitively. Two people just cant be good at the same thing at the same time, obviously one of them has to suck and the other has to be the best

Exactly.

It's so extreme that even saying "I like group A" somehow means you hate group B.

• Kpop feels like a zero sum game sometimes. Everything is valued comparatively and competitively. Two people just cant be good at the same thing at the same time, obviously one of them has to suck and the other has to be the best

This!! It's unbelievable how everything is made a competition and in reality it isn't. This mentality is weird.

• Tbh this sort of stuff never happens for western artists. No one even says so and so is hardworking and Adele is not because she came back once in 5 years. Like lol. Or at least it’s not part of popular discussion.

I feel like everything is about numbers for kpop Stans and not the music. How many songs you release, how many shows you do etc etc. Like who cares just enjoy the music.

• anyone who thinks bp raps or sings badly needs to get their ears checked. Blackpink has great rappers(no explanation needed)

Blackpink have pretty good vocals, the only problem is YG leaving Blackpink in the dust and not giving them proper training(specifically Jennie and Jisoo, they are given parts that may damage their vocals in the future). Also Lisa has a nice voice, I think with some practice and training she could become a good vocalist.

The saddest part about all of this is that they both have soo much potential but hey, YG FREAKING HATES MONEY so what can we expect.

Sometimes I wish I could steal some of SM's vocal coaches and put them in YG.

I think the reason why this is normalized is because of the idea that anything popular is overhyped/overrated no matter what it is. This isn't just a kpop thing, it is a worldwide thing. I literally saw threads on reddit about how Ariana Grande's vocals are overhyped, overrated and aren't that good. Like ARIANA GRANDE OF ALL PEOPLE!

Saddest part is this kind of comments are considered hate and brushed off because they are "critisicm".

• Tbh this sort of stuff never happens for western artists. No one even says so and so is hardworking and Adele is not because she came back once in 5 years. Like lol. Or at least it’s not part of popular discussion.

I feel like everything is about numbers for kpop Stans and not the music. How many songs you release, how many shows you do etc etc. Like who cares just enjoy the music.

Yes, it is indeed a more main problem in kpop.. I've never saw such things here where I live, this just proves how much people are here for the stats and not the music.

I do feel like it does happen sometimes to western artists.

Not the so and so is hardworking but Adele is not because she comes back every half a decade. Suprisingly never seen an insult like that. Thank god lol.

But I have seen western stans hate on artists just cause they don't like them and do all the number data stuff

• I do feel like it does happen sometimes to western artists.

Not the so and so is hardworking but Adele is not because she comes back every half a decade. Suprisingly never seen an insult like that. Thank god lol.

But I have seen western stans hate on artists just cause they don't like them.

Oh general talent is always discredited. What I mean was in specific comments about how many comebacks and stuff to justify hard work. For example BP always get called not hard workers cuz they don’t release enough music which I found silly. Actually that’s what I thought the thread was about as well :pepe-hehe:

• wait, I completly ignored the title lol.

• Oh general talent is always discredited. What I mean was in specific comments about how many comebacks and stuff to justify hard work. For example BP always get called not hard workers cuz they don’t release enough music which I found silly. Actually that’s what I thought the thread was about as well :pepe-hehe:

oh yeah, never seen that in the western world. Or maybe it is there but we haven't seen it. Probably not the comebacks and stuff but pretty sure their is some hard work bit.

• I've come to the conclusion that there is some perverse pleasure people get out of saying edgy things and having others react - almost like peer pressure. It just happens that the negative posts are the ones that generate the most "buzz". The fact that it's in the internet plays a huge role too - do not underestimate the power anonymity can spawn. People can say what they are forbidden to by the rules of polite society.

Yes competition plays a role, who can be the better "stan", but I still think the root is the same: attention. Following the crowd is nothing new, but when that crowd becomes a mob...

• Oh general talent is always discredited. What I mean was in specific comments about how many comebacks and stuff to justify hard work. For example BP always get called not hard workers cuz they don’t release enough music which I found silly. Actually that’s what I thought the thread was about as well :pepe-hehe:

You are right. Why are you guys doing this to my essay??? Kkkkkk

• I've come to the conclusion that there is some perverse pleasure people get out of saying edgy things and having others react - almost like peer pressure. It just happens that the negative posts are the ones that generate the most "buzz". The fact that it's in the internet plays a huge role too - do not underestimate the power anonymity can spawn. People can say what they are forbidden to by the rules of polite society.

Yes competition plays a role, who can be the better "stan", but I still think the root is the same: attention. Following the crowd is nothing new, but when that crowd becomes a mob...

very good explanation. People seem to crave negativity on the internet. The more negative you are the more attention you recieve.

Hence the same with kpop groups. Spout some nonsense about some kpop artists, get a clout of followers behind you who support the same things and will defend you to death if some with common sense who is polite and tells you to stop.

Now that I think about it, I just described toxic kpop youtubers and their subscribers.

Plus the overworking culture is so normalized and glorified that if you aren't publicly working yourself into the ground, you just aren't working hard at all

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!