What makes Blackpink so popular in the west

• People often bring up their heavy hip-hop/rap style but I don't think that's the reason. Remember they were doing this with a song like as if it's your last over 4 years ago, with kpop being a lot smaller:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So what is it, why are they so far ahead of the girl group competition? it almost feel like they are eclipsing the rest and not letting them grow. My best guess is their very distinctive voices, something you almost never find on any kpop group

• Hard-hitting Western-sounding music production, hard-hitting badass-but-beautiful concepts which are very Western, hard-hitting fashion, hard-hitting charisma & (at their best) charismatic performances.

Aespa is sorta copying these with their most recent song especially, to great success.

• it's not only about the music.... I would say they have that appeal that some other girl groups might not have. So pretty much is their personalities, they are what some aspire to be but they can be relatable too.

I definitely agree, people love their music but it's far from being the only reason, which is why mentioned as if it's your last in my OP. In conclusion, Blackpink is the future ✔️

• i think the young and rich with an attitude aesthetic they have ( especially since DDDD ) is really on trend in the West rn so the timing is just right

having catchy songs also helps

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• Teddy music even 2ne1 is so popular in the west if they have visual like bp let’s be honest they can be bp at that time

3 out of 4 can speak english

High fashion vibe

Good mv

The quality of song and mv are top notch yg really went all out with their mv production and good clothes

Teeny girls like that good fashion beat drop song let’s be honest

• I've said this before, they dont move like a Kpop group at all. They give off a foreign vibe with their English fluency, international background of members.

I've also been infamous for saying this before, but i dont think Kpoppies give what AIIYL did enough credit. This was a KOREAN SONG in 2017 from a 10 month old rookie group that charted in the Bubbling Under US chart. ZERO promotions here, i dont think the girls even set foot in the US until months after D4 released. To me, it's the pinnacle of organic achievement here in the US. Locals actually went out of their way to find this song and stream it, a Korean song at that. You have literally dozens of huge Kpop groups from the Big 4 and none of them accomplished this.

• People often bring up their heavy hip-hop/rap style but I don't think that's the reason. Remember they were doing this with a song like as if it's your last over 4 years ago, with kpop being a lot smaller:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So what is it, why are they so far ahead of the girl group competition? it almost feel like they are eclipsing the rest and not letting them grow. My best guess is their very distinctive voices, something you almost never find on any kpop group

Teddy is an amazing producer

Rose is golden voice of Korea

Jennie is the best rapper and model in Kpop

Lisa is an amazing dancer and international fans adore her

Jisoo is the best idol actress in Korea.

All are visuals, models, singers, and rappers. Period

Their songs are just amazing. BP has the best Kpop girl group concept.

• In a sea of troll threads you spilled for once :yesr:

• 2016-2017 was still the prime of house/EDM/trop house pop songs dominating until Shape Of You kinda killed it off.

BLACKPINK's music was very similiar to that sound so was a much easier crossover into the west. Combined that with the fact SEA countries really love upbeat/dance music and it gave them a good platform which made it easier to gain traction and western attention.

There were some of the biggest hits of 2016 for example.

External Content www.youtube.com

Then compared to BP songs, its very similar in style.

• 1. Good music: Starting out with whistle was a good choice (still my fav song from them). pops to Teddy for giving them great music. Most GGs just have members that do talk rapping but BP is different.

2. Individuality: I have never seen anyone state that they can't differentiate two members ( I have heard this for some groups). All the members have a function in the group. They all stand out.

3. Beauty: For my own taste BP is the most beautiful GG in kpop. All the members can hold their own visually

4. MV and Fashion: Watching any BP MV is an experience and their fashion sense is topnotch. I can't wear most of their stage clothing in my everyday life but sometimes I do look into their airport fashion for what to wear.

• YGE/G-Dragon's image and Teddy's craftmanship.

LVMH invested in YGE back then which shows their fashion connection.

YGE got all the recipes for them to succeed at that time.

Huge success by YGE in creating an individual image of each member.

The most visible brands they endorse ie Channel and Saint Laurent are not LVMH brands though.

• 1. Music

2. Beauty (they are all very different from each other and doesn't have typical Korean looks. I consider Blackpink the prettiest GG in kpop)

3. Individuality (each member stand outs, no filler members)

4. Member amount (4 members in a group which makes them easy to remember and distinguish from each other,plus as I said they don't look alike)

5. Luxury (when you look at BP at award shows, interviews, etc they literally scream luxury)

6. Fluent in English

7. Their personalities

8. Music videos

9. Because they are Blackpink :borahae:<3

• First off their brand image is seriously good. They have very individual personalities and they are only 4 members so it’s easier for people to get into them. I got turned off from BTS twice because of how many they were. I thought it’ll be a hustle getting to know them better

Also their sounds are very westernized, their badass girl crush concepts are popular with the western audience. Heavy rap songs with over the top MVs, you have to hand it down to YG for seeing what kind of music they needed to penetrate the western market.

Most of their members being fluent in English is a plus but I don’t think it’s an important factor here. You may be able to connect to your fans better but what’s the use if people don’t get interested in the first place.

• I don't really know for sure (I'm not a fan so I can't give my personal opinion) but from what others have told me, the dance beat is really catchy. I know of several people who listen to BP when they work out and stuff like that. These same folks also love their visuals and overall attitude. At the moment, there's really not anything comparable in the West. I mean there's Little Mix but the vibe is different. So I think BP stands out for being a gg with pretty hard hitting and super catchy sounds.

• They look good and sound good. They also have Lisa who is a big stan attractor, which is who I was first drawn to before I eventually became OT4. I reckon a lot of westerners have a similar story to how they got into BP.

Please cry more.

• They appeal to the west because they seem more badass which is what a lot of Westerners like in their girl groups as viewed in the success of Destiny's Child, Little Mix, etc

i dunno...I feel only Jennie & Lisa embody that 'badass' concept. I don't look at Rose & Jisoo and think "wow, they look badass". I think they're very pretty though but they don't give the intimidating vibes on stage like Jennie & Lisa.

• This thread contains 20 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!