What do you think will happen with K-POP when BTS retire?

• Tbh It'll probably fall into a hole as I can't see any group doing what they have done in their career and besides I won't care as I will be quite old and way past listening to K pop. I already am now.

• Kpop existed for 25 years before BTS and will be just fine afterwards. Every stan thinks that Kpop will go down in flames when their faves retire and yet Kpop is somehow still growing and still peaking lol.

Kpop is timeless because it follows a timeless formula: It's boyband music. Warped and shaped to fit Korean sensibilities, but at its heart, it's boyband music and that shit has been around since the 80s. When your faves retire, there will be another generation of bands and their own young fanbases to assume the mantle.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• maybe once for a change we will have total girl group domination then?

that's my wish but even now seeing how 4th gen boy group 1st week sales look they still "double" girls sales </3

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Kpop existed for 25 years before BTS and will be just fine afterwards. Every stan thinks that Kpop will go down in flames when their faves retire and yet Kpop is somehow still growing and still peaking lol.

Kpop is timeless because it follows a timeless formula: It's boyband music. Warped and shaped to fit Korean sensibilities, but at its heart, it's boyband music and that shit has been around since the 80s. When your faves retire, there will be another generation of bands and their own young fanbases to assume the mantle.

Nobody is saying kpop will die. It will be "just fine" as it will still have Asia. However, in the west, the growth of kpop will be stagnated big time without BTS.

• Nobody is saying kpop will die. It will be "just fine" as it will still have Asia. However, in the west, the growth of kpop will be stagnated big time without BTS.

If you're saying that no other Kpop group will replace BTS's charting in the US, that is fine. But if you're saying that there is no chance for other Kpop acts to grow in the US because BTS is gone, then no, that makes no sense. BTS retiring wont prevent an up and coming group like Aespa or maybe some new group we havent seen from eventually charting and growing their US fanbase.

• If you're saying that no other Kpop group will replace BTS's charting in the US, that is fine. But if you're saying that there is no chance for other Kpop acts to grow in the US because BTS is gone, then no, that makes no sense. BTS retiring wont prevent an up and coming group like Aespa or maybe some new group we havent seen from eventually charting and growing their US fanbase.

Others will definitely have chances. But without BTS, kpop will not have the buzz from the media it currently has. So, it will be harder for others.

Also as for "eventually charting" , If others wanna try the BTS route (from DNA to dynamite), by all means, they can try but remember it took BTS 4 years to do that. Others will take much longer than that. Why? Look at the 2nd biggest group BP, they have been charting in USA since 2018. It's been 3 years and they are yet to have a top 10 hit (top 30 if we excluded ice cream). BTS had their first top10 just 6 months after their US debut with FL. So, it's not as easy as it seems.

• Others will definitely have chances. But without BTS, kpop will not have the buzz from the media it currently has. So, it will be harder for others.

Also as for "eventually charting" , If others wanna try the BTS route (from DNA to dynamite), by all means, they can try but remember it took BTS 4 years to do that. Others will take much longer than that. Why? Look at the 2nd biggest group BP, they have been charting in USA since 2018. It's been 3 years and they are yet to have a top 10 hit (top 30 if we excluded ice cream). BTS had their first top10 just 6 months after their US debut with FL. So, it's not as easy as it seems.

I dont think you understand how Kpop songs chart in the US Hot 100 at least. It's not from "buzz" from the media. It's from Kpop fandoms downloading songs. Very few Kpop songs get enough label support to pay for substantial radio spins (only Butter, Dyna and Ice Cream got it afaik, maybe MU?) or have enough GP support to depend solely on streams. Fandom downloads are what allowed BTS to chart so high, and allowed BP to chart at all.

• BTS fans mostly are only BTS stans and not the whole kpop, some might check other groups yeah, but mostly not. Me myself, I stan only two groups, but listen to few more and I don't even check all the releases and anything, so idk it's hard to tell. But it's sure thing kpop won't die, everything is becoming very global now and kpop groups in general achieved a lot ww so it will stay as the way it is

• Think it would decrease the rapid growth and attention in the West.

Those who are already fans will continue to be fans, those who know about K-pop already will still know.

However in terms of growth, BTS' consistency of output and various activities as a group and their mass achievements that make the West take notice has boosted K-pop massively and brought in new ppl willing to check out what this whole K-pop phenomenon is and wonder why they are constantly seeing and hearing about these 7 guys from Korea.

So it won't stop existing obviously but maybe growth will become stagnant for a long while with some buzz/articles every now and then when a group has a comeback etc.

• I dont think you understand how Kpop songs chart in the US Hot 100 at least. It's not from "buzz" from the media. It's from Kpop fandoms downloading songs. Very few Kpop songs get enough label support to pay for substantial radio spins (only Butter, Dyna and Ice Cream got it afaik, maybe MU?) or have enough GP support to depend solely on streams. Fandom downloads are what allowed BTS to chart so high, and allowed BP to chart at all.

I perfectly understand how songs chart. You're right, It's due fandom power. But how do you think BTS built this fandom, huh?. Through the attention they got from attending different shows and events

Let me summarize for you

Sd - bubbling under

Bbma 2017 (the paper award)

Dna - #67 on hot100

Amas 2017

Mdr - #28

Nye 2018, bbma 2018

FL - #10

Notice the pattern?

All these events played huge part in BTS's growth.

• There will be peaks and troughs with its popularity in the west, but it will just tick on as normal!

But I don’t think we’ll see another group with a trajectory like BTS for a good long time, whatever happens with them.

As for them retiring, they seem very keen for that not to be a thing, so we’ll see.

• everybody disbands along with BTS because kpop didn't exist before BTS and it won't exist after

is the question too clever for you and some other people here? the thread is about kpop popularity not about the existence of it

• But how can we answer? We don't know where KPOP will be when BTS retire, cause let's be honest, it sure as hell ain't happening right now or in the foreseeable near future. IMO, there are some very big blanks to fill in before we even get around to answering the question.

Anyway, kpop is kpop. If the question is about the concept of kpop and the industry it has in Korea? Yea, nothing will happen.

• Are people deliberately misunderstanding the question when they answer that kpop will exist like always?

The existence isn't even what is being asked but the 'popularity' and 'growth' especially in the west, including America... the biggest music industry in the world. I may even include Japan (the 2nd biggest music industry in the world) then Europe, Korea and rest of Asia.

BTS sales, tours, success, popularity and growth dominates everywhere. They are selling stadiums around the world and introducing more and more people to kpop... so saying nothing would change in the global tragetory of kpop after BTS is strange in itself. Especially from what I know only BTS has performed at, got nominated for and won multiple western award shows...

Even though their popularity did help kpop artists to regularly get invited to TV shows, change their release time, access to albums in international stores, rookies getting signed to western record labels (ironical because even now BTS isn't completely signed to one) and giving confidence to many kpop artists, even not from big 3, to tour the world.

"Overspending on my pens, that are more in number... than your fans" - Suga.

• I mean there's a possibility that the western kpop bubble will burst even before BTS retires.

• I hope BTS keeps making music for a long time but when they retire what do you think will happen with K-POP? do you think it will manage to keep growing and being popular or will it fade into obscurity without BTS? Or maybe just decrease in popularity but still be popular enough in the west?

KPop's Senior Singer takes over again and she gets to name who becomes the next leader of KPop.

• K-Pop existed before BTS? And did fine for itself during that time. There will eventually be a group that surpasses them. Especially when the U.S. becomes more open to foreign entertainment and trainees get younger.

Any new act has to defeat IU first since she has become the gatekeeper

• This thread contains 32 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!