I Figured Out Why It's Hard For Me To Get Into AESPA

• I Figured Out Why It's Hard For Me To Get Into AESPA

I really want to love AESPA. I would like to get into them. But I'm having trouble really falling for their music.

Not because it's bad. I just think it's not my style.

I see their songs kind of like how I view Free Jazz.

Free Jazz is a type of jazz that arose in the 50s and 60s that placed emphasis on experimentation and shuffling up established conventions with time and chord changes, playing with structure, etc. It also placed an emphasis on extended solo sequences where different elements of the band would improvise for extended periods. The songs tend to be very technical and often have elaborate diversity and shifts in sound and long run times.

My father's hugely into it, and while I can appreciate the technical skill and quality of the musicianship, I find it grating. I keep wanting them to pick a style and stick with it. To trim their songs down to a more curated length. To, in essence, be more disciplined in their approach to song making. Instead of a free for all of technical showcase. I want them to focus. That's why I much prefer the swing and big band era of Jazz. They practiced a less is more approach, even in their grand style. They focused on a singularity of style.

Similarly, this is how I relate to AESPA songs. I find myself absolutely loving specific parts of their songs, thinking to myself....oh my god this is amazing! And then..... they shift instantaneously to something else. To a new style. A new sound. Or tempo. A new entirely different song in my eyes. And I just find it hard to get into their songs as a whole despite loving individual parts. They come across to me as more technical showcase than complete song. Like a demonstration of "Hey we can rap so freaking well. Look we can sing. Look we can do this. Oh wait we can do this too." It's too much for taste.

I love the members and find them really talented. And due to being an SNSD stan and RED VELVET stan, I'd love to really fall in love with them. But their style is too chaotic and unfocused for me. If they would only pare down and pick a style for their songs. I think I could really come to enjoy them. But this "switch" style seems to be their current mode. And a lot of people seem to love it. One day I hope they do some songs that are more focused on a single style. I would love to hear that from them.

Anyway, just thought I share my view. Anyone else relate to this?

P.S. Winter's pretty.

• emanresu

Changed the title of the thread from “I Figured Out Why I Love Parts of AESPA Songs But Tend To Not Love The Songs As A Whole” to “I Figured Out Why It's Hard For Me To Get Into AESPA”.
  • That's a really thoughtful take on it.

There's a top reddit post today about learning not to be so negative about other people's likes, and a lot of people are getting into a discourse about realizing that "hey, not everything is made for me, and that's okay" and it's nice to see that here too.

Sometimes I think it's really easy to fall into "if you didn't like it, you must be a hater" rhetoric, and alternatively, to be bad at expressing why something didn't resonate so it comes off as hateful instead of considerate.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• I dig what you say. In my opinion, there's plenty of room for experimentation in music, no doubt. But when it comes to pop? I don't know, man. I think pop works best when it's easy to grasp, easy to digest, easy to get an immediate positive reaction from. For experimentation, there are better suited genres like free jazz as you said, or progressive rock and other stuff.

Of course, sometimes a song requires a couple of listens to get the full picture, or just to get rid of the expectations you came with. Sometimes you don't vibe to a song right away. But the song shouldn't be off putting either. And that's my issue with aespa and songs like Savage, it just rubs me the wrong way. It makes for an unpleasant experience because whether you happen to like this part or that part, another part can just ruin the whole thing. And I'm not even sure it's really experimentation, and not just random stuff aimed at sounding edgy. Aespa kinda reminds me of the last seasons of Game of Thrones: every sense of coherence is sacrificed on the altar of flashy spectacle and subverted expectations.

• For me it's the visuals. I don't mind their songs, but visual that meets my preference is needed for me to actually stan a group.

Karina is sexy but I actually prefer her original face over the 'baddie' one they gave her with the SM treatment.

• Youre literally an old man shutup and speaking on idol visuals i don't see you dropping selfies in selfie thread keep it cute teshub

Exactly, the only old man i'm trying to make rich is myself. Also why would I try to doxx myself when I have gotten death threats over the years just for just stating my opinion

• That's a really thoughtful take on it.

There's a top reddit post today about learning not to be so negative about other people's likes, and a lot of people are getting into a discourse about realizing that "hey, not everything is made for me, and that's okay" and it's nice to see that here too.

Sometimes I think it's really easy to fall into "if you didn't like it, you must be a hater" rhetoric, and alternatively, to be bad at expressing why something didn't resonate so it comes off as hateful instead of considerate.

Thanks.

Are you an AESPA fan?

• To me, it is purely music production. SM releases have always been miss or hit to me. There is nothing wrong with girls visuals or talent, it's the one who produces the song. Black Mamba was good, but savage or NL was not for me. It was the same for RV. I liked psycho but was not a fan of Zimzalabim.

• I get what you mean for others but for me, I really enjoy their sound since Black Mamba I was blown away.

However, I would also appreciate it if they come with easier and less complicated titles in the future too. The members said since they showed their strong side with songs, they also want to show a brighter image like some of Red Velvet releases. So I am also looking up to that too.

idk why but this triggered something in me so I want more lol

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

lt64IYu.gif

• It's not gonna be the end of the world if you find them hard to stan, it's not a quota to like them.

Focus on groups or musicians that you like, it's basically that simple.

• That is a pretty valid and a good example to show what you think about them but I do also liked some free Jazz jams and others I didn't like much. It depends in lots of things whether you like it or not. I liked Black Mamba and I feel it has been their most cohesive song but I didn't like it as much as Next Level, now Savage I don't like very much but they sure made me want to check them whenever they release something.

I suggest you just keep checking whatever they put out and just like me and free jazz you may sometimes click with what they put. Worst thing that can happen is feeling you wasted 3 or 5 mins of your life but it is always nice to experiment.

PS: Winter is gorgeous and probably 1 of my favorite GG visuals in recent memory.

• I think aespa is going for another audience separate from SNSD and RV fans. It looks like it is working for them since their first year is already more successful than RV and SNSD so SM will probably keep their songs this way. This is SM's first full-on girl-crush GG and I and have enjoyed some of what they put out. I like savage and black mamba but next level is a big no

One day I hope they do some songs that are more focused on a single style. I would love to hear that from them.

They have some bsides like Lucid Deam that is more on the normal side.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!