Why Suzy and Yoona music career flop in South Korea ?

• We can agree that both Suzy and Yoona are very popular and still can be consider as the It Girl with countless hit drama and also cf deals but somehow their solo career as a singer isnt as good as their career as an actress. Suzy did a hit with her first pre-release song but the rest just freefalling on chart. As for Yoona , her solo career as a singer is almost unnoticed . Why do you think is the reason ?

• girlgroupstan21

Changed the title of the thread from “Why Suzy and Yoona music career flop despite being the household name in South Korea ?” to “Why Suzy and Yoona music career flop in South Korea ?”.
  • They weren't hyped for their musical side so thats expected for me, they were hyped for their beauty and acting so thats where they exceled

♢ BTS ♢ RED VELVET ♢ STAYC ♢ ITZY ♢ I'VE ♢ 

bf8564d98af24361d0590896c941048f9c781516.gifv 113c3e0e8e47532a0f6e02950f2765764a166a8c.gifv ea538e39aff2514e678056be42c87abdbaefb377.gifv

• God is fair, you can’t be good at everything

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Suzy got RAKs with her debut and dethroned Ailee's OST which was a mega hit at the time. She didn't flop at all. Moreover, she isn't even active as a singer for over 3 years. If she releases music again, she would storm the charts. Even her unpromoted Start Up OST entered 24hits.

• Yoona is not primarily a singer.

It's more a side avenue for her. An enhancement of her main offerings.

Her main repertoire has always been the idol (visual) / CF and model / actress avenue.

She has never been (primarily) a straight vocalist in the soloist sense.

Edited once, last by emanresu ().

• Probably because their acting career didn't flopped

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• We can agree that both Suzy and Yoona are very popular and still can be consider as the It Girl with countless hit drama and also cf deals but somehow their solo career as a singer isnt as good as their career as an actress. Suzy did a hit with her first pre-release song but the rest just freefalling on chart. As for Yoona , her solo career as a singer is almost unnoticed . Why do you think is the reason ?

Being a soloist is hard.

Also Yoona wasn't ever a technical vocalist so it was fine

Suzy too was actually a technically weak vocalist as Min was the best vocalist in Miss A, she's very unsupported, breathy, and very airy, which is usually the mark of a subvocalist like EXID's Jeongwha and Hani, TWICE's Mina (Mina is probably stronger), Red Velvet's Irene...etc.

That means it was harder for them to constantly perform on stage and you can tell Suzy was struggling during her stage with Baekhyun from her larynx placement. Someone like Sunmi isn't technical either but she's more grounded and so can suit her songs.

• cos they are visual

some visuals can live very well from adds and such

but in music is different

both are very rich by the way, they can flop in music hard and don`t care about it

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• Tell that to iu. Top soloist actress and visual.

Googles IU’s dark past, flaws

Damn no results . Guess you are right

• Probably because no one really expects much of them as singers when they're much much more recognised for their looks and acting. On the flip side it's not like people would be expecting much from Taeyeon as an actress despite her success as a singer.

• I’m sorry but this thread is just dumb. Yoona hasn’t even pursued a solo singing career so I don’t understand why you’re calling her a flop when she isn’t even active as a solo singer?? Suzy has also hardly released anything, she has no focus as a solo singer. This is like asking why Taeyeons and Sunmi’s acting career has flopped.

• Interesting question.

#1. Well even within Miss A/SNSD they were not know for their vocal abilities.

#2. They both found extremely successful careers in acting, modelling etc.

#3. Neither of them have consistently shown interest or output in singing - take for example Apink's Eunji - in a group, also good acting career -but she is regularly releasing covers and constantly trying out.

So simply, maybe Yoona and Suji are not as much into singing.

And then finally maybe as solos they did not get as much response as they expected.

The answer could be very well a combination of the above. Only they themselves can tell.

Many idols who transitioned to acting - Seo Hyun-jin,Yoon Eun-hye . Some of them were very successful singers too - Jang Nara. But none really managed to be successful in both the tracks in parallel.

Even in case of the men - Rain, Ze:a guys.

Singing/music invariably drops off- maybe the schedules are exhausting to manage both etc.

IU has done better, because her career is almost parallel to Suji, and has more balanced presence in both streams. Still that might change as she enters her 30s.

• How is Suzy a flop when she had two hits, and some of her osts topped the charts!! :pepewhat:

I'm not sure if she is still popular with the general public anymore tho.

Suzy got over 1 million viewers for her concert earlier this year, went viral several times plus still sells out anything she wears. She is definitely still popular among the GP.

• Wow the coincidence here, when i was bragging about Eunbi and Yuri's sales i noticed Yoona had an album release as well. I never knew she had a solo album.

No matter though, both Eunbi and Yuri ended her with violence X( Eunbi has 58k on Gaon now and Yuri already had 50k preorders, she'll be at 60k soon. Check out my professional chart.

eunbiyurigaon.png

Why are your arrows targeting IU?

708069260857049119.gif?size=96

• Why are your arrows targeting IU?

708069260857049119.gif?size=96

lol not targeting her, just trying to show where Eunbi falls on the chart (she has 58k on Gaon which puts her just below IU's Modern Times album in 27th place).

Similarly, Yuri has 50k preorders already, and judging by how strong her Hanteo sales are (already at 40k which is almost twice what Eunbi got after one day), i'm pretty sure Yuri will also hit 60k on Gaon right next to Eunbi and right under IU.

• lol not targeting her, just trying to show where Eunbi falls on the chart (she has 58k on Gaon which puts her just below IU's Modern Times album in 27th place).

Similarly, Yuri has 50k preorders already, and judging by how strong her Hanteo sales are (already at 40k which is almost twice what Eunbi got after one day), i'm pretty sure Yuri will also hit 60k on Gaon right next to Eunbi and right under IU.

IU is the digital leader, what's the point of using her physicals as a benchmark?

And what's the point of using physicals anyway, mostly fans would buy them and that won't indicate the overall popularity.

Still you are hoping.. Hope away

• How is Suzy a flop when she had two hits, and some of her osts topped the charts!! :pepewhat:

I'm not sure if she is still popular with the general public anymore tho.

She still is popular in general public even tho she is hiatus for a year and not releasing music or dramas..hell she is even wining in poll against jennie and jisoo! Two poll recently "kpop idol with whom u want to go on summer" suzy got #1 place jennie got #2 another one poll "which idol would get more attention if invited to dior fashion week" jimin got #1 no #2 sehun #3 eunwoo #4 suzy #5 jisoo..once an icon foreover is an icon..she is still relevant to 90% kpop idols out there and still loved so much in Korea

• Love to see the excuses from both fans.

They arent that popular amongst public. Its all media play. That's all. If you really are popular amongst public, you will chart high. Dont put bullshit like public dont consider them as singers shit, cause comedians like yoo jaesuk and friends arent singer and can chart high when releasing songs

• They were never really vocalists and they did better by concentrating on acting and not singing.

Unfortunately the K-O-R-E-A-N-S failed to use the same standard to a certain soloist.

• Because they're not known as singers. They're more known as actors.

Suzy probably could have done better if she was more consistent in releasing music. But yeah unfortunately she didn't maintain that so her hype as a singer dissipated and now she's just pretty much an actress.

While for Yoona, she was never hyped as a singer, even in her group most always put her last or second to last in terms of vocal ability. Her songs are nice though as she mainly sticks to the vocal range that is comfortable for her.

Does this mean they're not famous? of course not?

I'm pretty sure if Son Ye Jin or Lee Young Ae suddenly releases music that is not promoted (both Suzy and Yoona never promote their songs) I don't think it will chart well. Does it mean Son Ye Jin's popularity is fake? Hell no

• This thread contains 14 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!