Are we at a point where SM owns the digital market again?

• With Aespa being digital powerhouses at this point.

2021 has been a very interesting and succesful year for SM, digitally.

Look i've been listening to K-pop since 2011. And SM was always not as strong as JYP and YG when it comes to digitals.

But seeing SM being the only label to have a boygroup have a big hit this year with Hot Sauce (besides BTS ofcourse), And Aespa having most likely a national hit under their belt in their first year, Taeyeon dominating the top 10 with Weekend for 3 months now, Aespa taking over the #1 spot with Savage just 6 hours after release, against justin bieber and BTS ft coldplay, and Red Velvet being in their 7th year yet still charting high on that charts (with arguably their weakest title track). It's safe to say, SM is a king in digitals.

King in the sense that they have multiple artists/groups that can easily top the charts. Whereas JYP and YG have been dwindling down with Lisa being out of the top 100 in 2 days, twice having troubles entering the top 10, and any of their boy groups not making any impact on the charts, and HYBE literally only having BTS that can do well. SM is leading the 4th generation.

and let me tell you, i NEVER WOULD'VE THOUGHT THAT SM WOULD TAKE THE DIGITAL THRONE

• Sm is doing amazing this year, I wouldn't call Hot Sauce a hit, but it did amazing for bgs standards, and you forgot Joy, her solo results were good too.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Sm female idols have always carried sm digitally so it makes sense given how 2.5 ggs (Tae basically has more power than most ggs lol) having hits means sm is currently on top.

But nothing is guaranteed to last particularly in a fast paced world of kpop, who knows what could happen in a few years. other labels might have a few new digimon, Sm could fuck it’s artists as they often do or some might leave.

• Didn't Don't Call Me do just as good/better than Hot Sauce?

Hot Sauce topped the Gaon weekly chart. DCM did not. I believe it’s the only bg aside from BTS that has this year, but I’m sure one of the chart experts will comment and confirm or tell me I’m wrong.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I would be curious tho from the stats posse: does SM really do as badly digitally as people think? Or have they actually been doing decently all along and it’s just that a few other groups have been digimons?

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I would be curious tho from the stats posse: does SM really do as badly digitally as people think? Or have they actually been doing decently all along and it’s just that a few other groups have been digimons?

i check the charts quite frequently. It was more at the end of 2nd gen, their groups started to trail behind. EXO did amazing but the moment in 2017 when SM slowed ddown promotions and BTS took over their spot, Is when SM really starting to lose it in the digital department. RV had some big hits, and Taeyeon got robbed twice from a PAK (by Mnet as usual). But besides those two. They weren't doing well. And to make it worse when RV had 3 flops back to back in 2018/2019. SM rarely did well. Only with Taeyeon they managed to do well, and some EXO solo's did well. Whereas JYP and YG were topping the charts back to back 2017 and onwards. It's now that 4th gen is becoming a thing, that we see SM being on top with NCT and Aespa. Also the charts changed rules multiple times and it is harder to hit #1 now, but it is easier when you reach the top 10/20 to stay there for longer periods of time. Whereas before the rule change, we had a different #1 song everyday (because boy group stans could easily manipulate the charts), and it would only take about 20k+ unique listeners to chart high. Whereas now you probably need atleast 80-100K to have decent charting

• i check the charts quite frequently. It was more at the end of 2nd gen, their groups started to trail behind. EXO did amazing but the moment in 2017 when SM slowed ddown promotions and BTS took over their spot, Is when SM really starting to lose it in the digital department. RV had some big hits, and Taeyeon got robbed twice from a PAK (by Mnet as usual). But besides those two. They weren't doing well. And to make it worse when RV had 3 flops back to back in 2018/2019. SM rarely did well. Only with Taeyeon they managed to do well, and some EXO solo's did well. Whereas JYP and YG were topping the charts back to back 2017 and onwards. It's now that 4th gen is becoming a thing, that we see SM being on top with NCT and Aespa. Also the charts changed rules multiple times and it is harder to hit #1 now, but it is easier when you reach the top 10/20 to stay there for longer periods of time. Whereas before the rule change, we had a different #1 song everyday (because boy group stans could easily manipulate the charts), and it would only take about 20k+ unique listeners to chart high. Whereas now you probably need atleast 80-100K to have decent charting

I mean EXO 2017, 2018 is miles and miles ahead of NCT I don’t think hot sauce will even match obsession prolly EXO’s least performing full comeback so that hasn’t really changed. SM is winning a race in which everyone is slow that’s all. Like I said other than YG not having a hit BG nothing has changed. It’s still BTS that’s doing actually well and no one else.

• I mean EXO 2017, 2018 is miles and miles ahead of NCT I don’t think hot sauce will even match obsession prolly EXO’s least performing full comeback so that hasn’t really changed. SM is winning a race in which everyone is slow that’s all. Like I said other than YG not having a hit BG nothing has changed. It’s still BTS that’s doing actually well and no one else.

As other users may have mentioned, it's not fair to compare 2021 melon to its old versions. Especially when hot sauce was released during the 24 hits reform, the hardest to chart for groups

Digital charts aren't the same as they used to be, that's part of the reason so many bgs have fallen too

• Hot Sauce topped the Gaon weekly chart. DCM did not. I believe it’s the only bg aside from BTS that has this year, but I’m sure one of the chart experts will comment and confirm or tell me I’m wrong.

DCM peaked higher and charted for longer time at the melon daily chart which is usually more important due to the ULs system. Gaon chart afaik is also influeced by fandom mass streaming so it says more about fandom than gp

• Hot Sauce is nowhere near a hit, neither is Don’t Call Me. SM’s digital successes this year are RV and aespa, not their boy groups.

okay. I don’t honestly know - I just know everyone always slams NCT for not charting and then when they actually do chart and top it, everyone says that doesn’t count either. 🤷🏽‍♀️ It doesn’t seem like they can win..

• okay. I don’t honestly know - I just know everyone always slams NCT for not charting and then when they actually do chart and top it, everyone says that doesn’t count either. 🤷🏽‍♀️ It doesn’t seem like they can win..

B-But they... They have FLO coupons!

:pepe-life-support:

Ν Ξ Ο Ϲ Ι Τ Υ

div-st-bt-600.png

• okay. I don’t honestly know - I just know everyone always slams NCT for not charting and then when they actually do chart and top it, everyone says that doesn’t count either. 🤷🏽‍♀️ It doesn’t seem like they can win..

dreamzens did a great job downloading and getting Dream on FLO. But when idol group songs from last year have gained double or even triple the points in 2021 compared to Hot Sauce…its performance just isn’t impressive overall. For NCT, it’s amazing. Overall? No

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Perfect time to be SM stan. But it would have been more perfect if the MV was high budget :pepe-sad: (last time complaining about the mv I promise)

Just curious what you would see as more high budget for the MV? It seems pretty on par with all the other MV releases this year from SM…

It’s like other BGs scored 5/100 and NCT scored 35/100 but it’s all still a failing grade lol. I mean I’m happy NCT is improving their digitals. Good for them. They’ll prolly do even better next cb. But realistically this is how it is.

Hot Sauce lasted like what three ish months? On the Gaon Digital chart. To compare obsession charted for 8 months. And we love to call obsession a flop. Eye-

• It’s like other BGs scored 5/100 and NCT scored 35/100 but it’s all still a failing grade lol. I mean I’m happy NCT is improving their digitals. Good for them. They’ll prolly do even better next cb. But realistically this is how it is.

Hot Sauce lasted like what three ish months? On the Gaon Digital chart. To compare obsession charted for 8 months. And we love to call obsession a flop. Eye-

perfectly explained

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• ygs 2 active groups haven't been so active this year.

Akmu still in top 10

Rosè hitting it big there despite an english song and charting well too

Lisa bein a foreigner so understandable she would be out

Jyp was dissapointing despite their 10000 releases.

Not all SM songs were digitally good tho (house party, like water, ...)

• dreamzens did a great job downloading and getting Dream on FLO. But when idol group songs from last year have gained double or even triple the points in 2021 compared to Hot Sauce…its performance just isn’t impressive overall. For NCT, it’s amazing. Overall? No

I was actually thinking about how they topped the Gaon chart..I completely forgot about Flo, but thanks for the context, Massive!

• It’s like other BGs scored 5/100 and NCT scored 35/100 but it’s all still a failing grade lol. I mean I’m happy NCT is improving their digitals. Good for them. They’ll prolly do even better next cb. But realistically this is how it is.

thanks Tic, this is helpful context!

• This thread contains 7 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!